DODGE RAM FORUM banner

2wd or 4wd

What do you have 4x2 or 4x4

28K views 222 replies 199 participants last post by  SgtGrit 
#1 ·
just wondering , there was a poll i saw not to long ago about what ram you have , 1500 - 2500 - 3500. im wondering who has 4wheel drive versu 2wheel drive.

G
#185 ·
4x2 never again!

We had a major snow storm here about three years ago. At the time I had a very nice 98silverado lowered with wide tires, it was sweet but it was 2wheel drive. I spent almost two weeks driving my wife's cobalt because my truck could not get out of a parking spot.:doh: I made a promise right then No 4x4 No truck!

#189 ·
I have a 2wd partially because I couldn't afford the upgrade to a 4x4 3 years ago when I bought it but I needed a truck that could tow well and not pay a huge penalty on the fuel mileage front (08 and older were out of the picture economy wise) This truck met all of that criteria.

I always had 2wd trucks for personal vehicles because earlier in life I had our family work trucks which were all 4x4 plow rigs. I moved to the big city (Indianapolis) after college and needed fuel economy and towing abilities. Now, this truck is so darn cheap a month I can't justify another few years on a loan and a more expensive payment for how well it gets around in the snow.

Other 2wd trucks I had were horrid in the snow and this one is a tank comparatively (not stacked up to a 4x4)..

Only time I've been stuck in it was this last weekend with about 4 inches of snow on the ground and a boat hooked up to it in a grass pasture. Unhooked the boat at its parking spot and the truck ran back up the hill no sweat.

I still have a few old worn out 4x4 vehicles in my arsenal back home if the winter gets to the point I can't drive the new truck. If I had a garage now I would probably leave the pretty truck inside in the winter and drive an old 87 Dakota 4x4 5 speed that sits around back home.

#194 ·
Have 4x4 on my HD diesel because pulling a heavy horse trailer gets one into a lot of flat fields around horse arenas...and if it rains they get pretty slippery.

Also spent a lot of time driving around the Colorado mountain roads for several years and owned both 2x and 4x vehicles. I'm not interested in off road stuff, just want to get from A to B. I've pretty much found that for normal street/highway driving four wheel drive only lets you get stuck about 500 yards further down the road.

#195 ·
never again

My first truck (2001 Dakota 3.9 5spd) was a 4x2...never again! Loved and drove the hell outta that truck, but once I moved to the mountains I got stuck so much and cussed while trying to dig myself out that I'd never buy a 4x2 again. Guess if you never plan on driving in snow or off road it would make sense...then again it's a truck and you never know where you might need to go! Might as well spend a little more and be safe...

#201 ·
My first truck (2001 Dakota 3.9 5spd) was a 4x2...never again! Loved and drove the hell outta that truck, but once I moved to the mountains I got stuck so much and cussed while trying to dig myself out that I'd never buy a 4x2 again. Guess if you never plan on driving in snow or off road it would make sense...then again it's a truck and you never know where you might need to go! Might as well spend a little more and be safe...
I had the same truck. 3.9 5 speed 2000 Dakota. Fun to drive in good weather but that's it. I had terrible experiences with that truck in the snow. I even put air bag load helpers in the rear so I can put sand bags in the back. Even with 400 LBS of sand I was all over the road.

Anyway, now I have the 4x4 ram and what a huge difference in the snow. I will never own a 4x2 again.

#202 · (Edited)
I have a 4x4 now, its more of a convenience thing for me and its nice to have it. I have had 4x2 trucks here in OH and I never really got stuck but you have to feather the throttle from every stop. Honestly I think everyone should learn to drive in the snow with a RWD vehicle it will teach you skid control and how to drive real quick.

#204 ·
as a new 2x4 owner i wonder if maybe there are 3 times more 4x4 is because
the folks with 4x4 tend to be true enthusiasts were as a lot of 2x4 owners
would not consider finding forums they just got their rams for transportation or
or other specific work
i consider my self a gearhead enthusiast who want to learn
SO HERE I AM

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.