DODGE RAM FORUM banner

DEF fluid doesn't go far

9K views 36 replies 23 participants last post by  GTyankee 
#1 ·
Hi,

I ran 4000 km (2400 mi) on the first tank and 2000 kms (1200 mi) on the second tank. No towing on second tank.

Is the 50% reduction in distance per tank related to the colder weather?

Please advise.

#5 ·
I have 20,000 on my 2014 3500 work cummins and filled it up maybe 4 times. I will top it off at half tank the odd time. I wanna say about 12,000KM towing and the other half unloaded. It is still more efficient then the stupid DPF BS. F350 has that and I hate when it goes into regen mode.

#7 ·
Unfortunately I haven't yet had a chance to go to the dealer yet, but last week it went through half a tank going 60 miles. Now after a new fill up it hardly is moving.

Oh ya, not much idling.

It clearly needs a fix, hoping this week.

#11 ·
I agree that something must be up. 21,000 miles on my Cummins and I think I've filled about 4 times, and those weren't even full fills. When I was around Pilot that I could fill up at the pump I would stop in...was never below 1/4 tank though.

#13 ·
I'm looking at finally making another attempt to order a truck (first time, life got in the way) and I know now that the model I will get will require the use of DEF (first order wouldn't have, as it would have been a 2012).

Has anyone experienced what the truck does if you run out of DEF? I know some trucks berate power and that yields a limited top speed, but I've not found a concrete answer for a Ram.

I'll be using the truck for long hauls and trips cross country, sometimes towing, sometimes not, so obviously I'll want to plan out bringing spare DEF in the worst case scenario.

#16 ·
two codes at the dealer

The seven year old "service writer" informed me there were two codes required to put the DEF system back in business.

Too bad they didn't look at the other issues I nicely asked them to take care of for me (loose drivers door and sagging rear view mirror).

A full synthetic oil change with taxes $213.00. And then I get a reminder sticker to have my next oil change done in 3000 km, ~2000 miles.

I'm going by the manual 12,000 kms.

Anyone think that's too long for synthetic?

#27 ·
The seven year old "service writer" informed me there were two codes required to put the DEF system back in business.

Too bad they didn't look at the other issues I nicely asked them to take care of for me (loose drivers door and sagging rear view mirror).

A full synthetic oil change with taxes $213.00. And then I get a reminder sticker to have my next oil change done in 3000 km, ~2000 miles.

I'm going by the manual 12,000 kms.

Anyone think that's too long for synthetic?
I change my oil every 10,000 km (6300 miles) for the sake of simplicity, I believe it to be well within accepted longevity intervals. Running rotella t6 5w40. That's 30% in town, 70% highway.

#18 ·
DEF Usage on 2013 2500 at 22K miles

I have own my truck now for 18 months. I have just over 22K miles. After 2 weeks of owning the vehicle, I took it on a long drive to visit my son who lives in Seattle. I live in Southern Maryland. I would fill up at the 1/4 tank mark with the 2.5 gal DEF jug. The fill up was at approximately 3000 miles. Since then I have filled up every 3000 miles (1/4 tank) with DEF. This summer I will be traveling back to Seattle, but this time I will be towing a 37 ft travel trailer. So we will see how that affects the DEF usage. :smiley_thumbs_up:

My owners manual indicates an oil change every 15K miles. I currently do an oil change every 7.5K miles. I rotate the tires with every oil change and I change the fuel filters every other oil change. The Oil Life monitoring system indicates usually 48 - 50% life remaining at every 7.5K miles and the fuel filter life indicator shows 16 - 23% life remaining every 15K miles.

Highway mileage is 21 - 24 mpg. Daily driving, it depends due to short distances, 13 to 16 mpg. I expect to see approximately 10 mpg while towing , but we shall see.

Bottom line is that I love my truck. I have owned Fords, Chevy and Dodge and this is by far the best that I have owned.:smileup:

#22 ·
Yes, not super overpowering but if you are in the exhaust area while it's going it does have a bite.
Also, I traveled 8K miles (I now have 9.5k on the truck) towing 18k pounds the entire time. Went through just under 7-2.5 gallon jugs of piss. That's almost every 1K miles to 2 gallons. Horrible. But there is no leak, and nothing wrong. It will improve as will the fuel mileage. I also found the Lucas Diesel Deep clean product. Ever since I have added that to my fuel, the DEF tank has not been touched (about 1.5K miles now). Expensive solution though. $13 for 30 gallons. ouch.

#24 ·
You'd think so just with the amount, but there is no problem. I'm up to 2.5K miles (no towing, with MANY daily short trips under 2 miles which would normally use a lot of DEF from unburnt fuel) since my return and still a full DEF tank (not going by gauge, going by trying to fill it and it's still full). Of course the Lucas Diesel Deep Clean has been a huge reason for that.

#25 ·
I have the same issue. Brand new truck and in 3000 miles I went through a full tank of DEF. I did tow 3 times in that period and it was always using DEF when towing. Around town driving, taking the kids to school and going to work, it never uses it.

#30 ·
Just returned from an east coast trip, 6,670 total miles towing 95% of the time. DEF consumption was four 2.5 gal. jugs and one fill at the pump at a Pilot truck stop. Seemed for every four tanks of fuel I would use one tank DEF. Now that I'm back home running empty it's like the DEF gauge is nailed in one position. You will "Consume mass quantities" while towing heavy. Tail pipe is squeaky clean.

#31 ·
#32 ·
I am about to drive from California to Connecticut & back
There won't be any towing & very little weight in the bed

I only have 1500 miles on the 2016 Quad Cab Eco-diesel & i have only driven around town
my DEF gauge reads 2/3 of a tank & i am on my 3rd tank of diesel

i saw someone had mentioned that their oil was clean
DEF goes directly into your Exhaust, so it would not effect the motor oil

what everything looks like under a 1500 bed

#34 ·
Def question

This is my first diesel with Def and after reading the previous posts I'm wondering if something is wrong with my 2016 2500 mega cab, I have 3000 miles on it and the def gauge hasn't moved from 100% yet, I was reading somewhere that the tank should last close to oil change time. I'm just wondering if the 2016's have a bigger tank or are they more efficient or is my gauge malfunctioning?
Any feed back appreciated.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.