DODGE RAM FORUM banner

looking to replace muffler.

34K views 138 replies 36 participants last post by  Michael94 
#1 ·
Not much action in the 6.4 section yet! Anyone find a good muffler to give this beast the voice it deserves? The factory cut off its balls with this weak sound.

#98 ·
Magnaflow makes a 4" system for this truck now but it costs around 800 bucks so I ordered up a 4" dpf back system for a 14-15 cummins and modified it slightly to work on the 6.4.

First order of business was getting rid of this. I dont even know how they bent this at the factory.

I used a flowmaster dual 3" into 4" scavenger pipe. Part number Y300400
Took some 3" and adapted it to the stock pipes off of the cats.

The gold color is a coating that is burning off.

Then I mounted up an aeroturbine 4040xl that I had laying around. It used to be on my 12v. Sorry for the blurry picture.

Then installed the intermediate piece with hangars and over the axle section. Take note of the elusive 3rd rear shock.

Then I modified the tailpipe so that I would have a turndown exit. I also installed a 4-5" black stainless tip. Its only fitting on an all black truck :party018:

Side view

3/4 view

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6apnPKMcZUc

Here is the sound clip, sounds mean, but just slightly louder than I want it, so I ordered up a small magnaflow race muffler and am going to add it and see how it sounds. Measures 4" in/out, 6" body and 12" overall length. I will add another video when I have that on.

#102 ·
I just took my truck to my local muffler shop and added a 24" Magnaflow XL 3" in 3"out and added a new 3" tailpipe without the resonator. The guy at the shop did not understand why Ram did a 2.5" from the manifolds to a 3.5" pipe then added the muffler that had the flap and tapered to 2.5" inside. The trucks new exhaust has a nice deep sound and no drone. The guy at the shop said that a 2.5" dual exhaust would be great being it comes out of the manifolds 2.5" and still have some back pressure but I wasn't ready to spend the extra money on duals and I didn't want loud. My seat of the pants dyno tells me it has better throttle response and low end torque.

#109 ·
The factory muffler is clamped in and you simple unbolt and bolt in the new mufflex kit. You do have to drop the rear tailpipe section from the hangers, which is probably the hardest part since there is not much room to get to the rear hangers.

I believe they're using the same standard 14,18 or 22 that everyone is already putting on their truck. They just make it a DIY project instead of hitting the local muffler shop. In the end though it's more money for the Mufflex from what I've seen and been told from my local shop.
The mufflex system uses a Magnaflow 14161 Race Series Muffler. Looks like most places online are selling it for just under $150. I figured total cost from a local muffler shop to install this muffler with mandrel bent 3.5" dia. stainless pipe would be comparable/slightly less than the mufflex kit ($150 for muffler, $50 for stainless pipe, $50-60 an hour for labor).

#105 ·
I'm trying to understand why people pay so much for the Mufflex when I can get the same Magnaflow muffler installed for $180 plus tax. I haven't seen the Mufflex for under $230 I believe and it might even be higher then that?

#107 ·
if anyone wants to go straight pipe it sounds very nice. The parts can be ordered through summit. You will need 2 of each 41983 straight and 42761, 45 degree elbow. I welded mine together but it could be clamped. I did clamp it on the ends. One of the 45's will have to be cut to match the muffler dimensions. Once width has been established put it all together, weld it, then it will have to be cut to length. If you're cheap like me this is a good alternative. You will need another clamp as well this can also be ordered through summit or pick one up at your local parts store.

#116 ·
I started mine up after I got the mufflex on but before I put the resonator and rest of the tailpipe On. It had a nice deep low rumble to it and sounded pretty good. I'm not sure how the drone was at higher rpm's going on the highway because I didn't go that far. After I put the resonator on and heard how much it quiet down I actually contemplated taking him back off. But I figured I would drive it a little while and see how I liked it. It's been about a month or so and So far it's not too bad, I wish it was a little louder but I still don't know if it would end up being too loud and too much drone with the resonator off

#125 ·
If anyone is looking for a cheaper option than ordering a cat back system or spending the money on a mufflex system, I just put on a Flowmaster exhaust myself for around $150. Much better sound and saved a ton. Not hard to do at all, took me about 30 minutes once I got the parts from Summit.

Flowmaster Delta Force 40 series race muffler

#132 ·
#137 ·
I love old school glasspacks, unfortunately we are in the minority on here! lol

The owner of the muffler shop I use is very knowledgeable and it was him that informed me that a magnaflow is "a glorified glasspack".

I had one of thesehttps://www.magnaflow.com/automotive-performance/mufflers/straight-through/5-x-11-oval/products/ on my 5.7L don't remember the model and the only drone I had was 4th or 5th gear at 35-45mph. At highway speeds my tires seemed significantly louder! lol

From there you get into the mandrel vs non-mandrel built discussion.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.