DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Improving fuel economy

13K views 31 replies 22 participants last post by  scusemez28 
#1 ·
Has anybody tried anything worth posting about? Exhaust, CAI, any programmers available etc?

#8 · (Edited)
After 10K miles I've averaged 21mpg calculated and 22mpg on the EVIC.

#15 ·
Does MPG improve as you put more miles on your truck? I havent reached 4K yet and I'm hoping that once I have my first oil change at 5K I'll see some increase. My MPG started out great then dropped. I first thought it was the winter blend gas but the stations had already make the switch before I bought my truck.

#17 ·
4885 miles, 25.4 MPG. This from the Trip "B" setting. Keep shift points under 2500 RPM and learn to coast. Like it so far!!!

#19 ·
I guess I should have said, "I'm using trip B, because I'm never going to reset it so it keeps track of miles on truck and average MPG." I only use trip A for 500 or 1000 mile gas mileage runs.

#21 ·
Hmmm...I had to go look.
Trip A, 212.8 miles, 24.9 MPG.
Trip B, 4489.2 miles, 25.1 MPG.
Don't know who's A/B mileage odometer is right but this is what mine shows.

#22 ·
I can tell you this, the average does not go for the time you have owned the truck even if you do not reset it. The average changes very easily, if it was the average since you bought the truck it would barely ever move. Also I have noticed that eventually both trip meters and the average next to the display(where it shows your current MPG) will almost all be identical after a while.

#28 ·
I have a bout 2,300 miles on my new 2015 1500 Laramie, 4x4 quad cab with the pentastar and 3.55 gears. First of all I think this is the best motor on the truck market today! Overall performance - acceleration, power, mileage, towing, and payload for this purchase cost (no up charges) as an entry level motor - this pentastar is unmatched!

My mileage right now is 18.5 MPG around town and she's still breaking in - also have yet to purchase my tonneau cover which should help even more. I notice as she's breaking in the mileage is improving steadily.

#29 · (Edited)
it seems we have strayed from the OP,
and this is now ANOTHER 'What mileage does yur truck get..?' thread,
& getting threadjacked by V8 & I6 posts on top of that.

For oodles of FE enhancement tips, here's a cool link
http://ecomodder.com/forum/fuel-economy-mpg-modifications.php#56
and discussed in the 'Fuel Economy' sub-Forum, e.g.:
http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=159306

I have applied some of these mods :

- drop in K&N air filter
- 'Cherry Bomb' muffler
- lowered 3"
- narrower front tire 255/65-17
- stubby antenna
- factory tri-fold tonneau cover
- factory deep front air dam
- 'Stop/Start system on '13-'14 (gas) HFE,
- vent visors (prolly hurt aero lol)

and get >31mpg without trying (too) hard:
http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=198384

#30 ·
Really pleased after 11k. Combined city highway regularly 24. Towed pop up travel trailer highway and got 25. Just returned from 1200 mile trip from jersey to Niagra Falls out past Cleveland and back, lots of hills etc but first true all highway and was getting 27.5. Amazed at power of the 6, never sorry at all going that route, even towing it has great power. Only mod I have is a fiberglass cap.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.