DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Paint issues

4K views 17 replies 13 participants last post by  Regalracer1987 
#1 ·
I am at a a loss for words at this point with my Ram.

I bought the truck on a rainy day and it rained near daily until the day before Thanksgiving when I had them finish the make ready. It took 3hrs for the dealer to do the wash. After the wash I looked the truck over and found numerous scuffs in the clear coat, a scratch on the back of the cab, scratch down to primer on the roof, and a chip on the passenger door sill.

Upon seeing this I notified the sales dept. who said they would get it all fixed if I brought it in the following week. Prior to bringing the truck back I did a top to bottom inspection of the body and paint and all I can say is :wtf2:

I found a long list of problems in the factory paint, improperly applied factory bedliner(thins to the point I can see paint), as well as a dent in the rear bumper showing early rust signs and dented fender behind the bumper(best case is this happened at the dealer sometime after they got the truck and well before I got it). Truck had 8 miles when I test drove it.

The dealer has had the Ram since December 1st, and I have been getting run around on ETA for completion until we went up there on Tuesday(have been given approximately 7-8 due dates).They then said that the body shop would have the truck back at the dealer December 19th, and would go to local shop for bedliner tomorrow and be ready for me December 22-23.

My question is what would be a reasonable request from the dealer and or Chrysler for this time that I have not had my vehicle? Especially due to the fact that it left the factory and the dealership let hit showroom floor in such condition.

See less See more
#4 ·
Went to look at truck Tuesday and not happy. Many of the things that were supposed to be fixed at the body shop were not and some new flaws created from their poor work. Not to mention somewhere in the process they put a quarter sized dent in the tailgate as well as scratches around weather stripping in doors.

#5 ·
I'd just walk away from this truck if I were you. Sounds like a lemon and I'd hate to see someone buy a truck that they will never be completely satisfied with. I'd walk away and take your business elsewhere.

#6 ·
WOW....Sorry to hear about your experience....If you look up my old post, I too had a huge issue with paint quality. In the end the truck was replaced with another one however my current truck still had a few issues that I can live with....

Next time you look at your truck have a look at the bumper to see if its straight or not, If not then the box needs to be aligned,.,.....Dont want to worry you but go over it again......

When you get back from the shop have a look at it outside then take it inside under the florescent lighting....There you will be able to see anything that you may have missed......

Good luck and please keep us updated on how things go....

Ed

#7 ·
Here is where we stand to date. Talked to the GM at the dealership the day after my last post. He concluded that the best thing to do is to trade out from this truck and start over. He had me call Chrysler Care and we got the process started.

Went in yesterday and looked at dealer inventories. After looking we were able to find one 2015 Ram in stock about 300+ miles away equipped similar to my current Ram in Granite Crystal. Really didn't want another grey vehicle and didn't want to worry about a porter or hot shot driver damaging the vehicle en route to our dealership. He suggested we order our truck with options we wanted and in a color we would prefer.

So we ordered our new 2015 Ram in True Blue Pearlcoat, with the same additions as our current truck.

#10 ·
The quality of paint jobs on Ram trucks has sucked for the last 4-5 years. I'm afraid that you may be really disappointed when your new truck arrives. Look for "orange peel and less than complete coverage in some areas of your new truck. One last thing---Never ever let your dealer do a "get ready" or a "detail" on your truck. Do it yourself--it will save you a lot of heartache later.
Jay

#14 ·
I'm right there with you guys, I purchased my truck on 5/11 then had back surgery almost immediately after. I wasn't able to hand wash the truck until just a few days ago, and found a spot on the driver's door that has both a run and a spot thin enough that you can see primer through within about 3" of each other. I'm waiting to hear back from the dealer now, but who knows how that will go.

Is there a Ram rep on this forum? I know I've seen manufacturer reps elsewhere, but can't remember if I have here.

#15 ·
So sorry to hear about this! I am also finding out the hard way how awful ram clear coat and paint is. This morning I lightly brushed up against the back door of my truck while getting in, and my pocket knife clip barely grazed the paint. It left two nasty scratches down to the primer in the paint. Looking at hundreds to get repaired.

#16 ·
Agree on the sucky paint jobs. I've bought 4 new rams since 1996. The last two my 2005 and my current 2014 both white in color. I noticed after washing little rust flecs throughout the paint. Never got a straight answer from any of the dealers.

My thought was when these trucks get shipped to Canada by train, sparks from the wheels could be etching the paint. This is just my opinion, I can't verify this but it seemed logical to me. I' ve noticed some manufactures ship their vehicles with a plastic wrap on them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.