DODGE RAM FORUM banner

turbo charger

14K views 20 replies 14 participants last post by  Simon930 
#1 ·
hey everyone..i just joined...lookin to put twin turbos on my truck...01 ram 3.9
it has almost 200,000 miles on it..so im lookin around to get another motor to start building..but i dont know a lot bout the turbo stuff..so here i am

anyone here have any advice or exp with doin this?
i have heard i can take the turbo set up off a cummings and modify it some to put on mine..??

#4 ·
yep..thats what everyone is tellin me..and i think thats what makes me wanna do it so badly :p

a lot of the parts will work on the v6 that the v8's use...read that its pretty much the same block -2 pistons and etc...

krc quoted me 5,000 for twin turbo kit..said it would fit on 218---but that seems steep

#6 ·
ok with turbos or any forced induction tuning tuning tuning and then tune again lol
most any engine respones well to boost if it is set up right
first off do you want low (less than 8psi)or high boost (10+psi)
low boost you can have high compression ratios like 9:1 10:1 like that
but for high boost you need to stay under 8.5:1
now ask yourself what your going to do with the boost tow race or drive it like a grandma fuel mileage?
then remember a garrett t28 .60/ar turbo runs around $1200 new
FI is pricy so make sure you think everything through before you start anything
just so you don't think in full of it i have a 400whp turbo charged nissan 240
so i know how things are and i found out the hard way lol
hope this helps

#7 ·
thanks for the input...
i am a member of another forum and have had a lot of responces over there...and its gonna be for racing..
nothing hardcore..but i have a few friends with camaro's and when they take off..they normally just pull over at gas stations and leave me behind..lol

but seriously..i was gonna buy a muscle car and fix it up..but i like to be different..
towing..well i have another truck for that..altho i may tow every now and then. not often..
i have emailed krc--watson performance back asking what all their kit comes with , i have yet to get a response...so i dunno..
im still lookin into motor parts tho..and gettin things lined up

#8 ·
Ok, lets be real here... twin turbos on a 3.9? I am not tryin to be a jerk, but you are pushing rope dude. (and look at my sig, I own a turbo V6 car so I like this in theory actually)
Why twins? Ever noticed most twin turbo cars are faster w/ singles?

The reality is your truck w/ a 12v Cummins w/ $1,000 in mods would do more, and wouldn't be as much money in custom parts, or hard to fix because only a few know what it is. It'd be fast, have MORE torque and much longer reliability. With 200K on yours, I'd strongly consider doing diesel, or selling and buying the same truck in diesel. Putting $5k in a $5k truck is hard to do in the end.
Regardless of what you do good luck, I dont wanna pi$$ in your cheerios, but after building cars/trucks for over 20 years,and helping turbo everything from 240s, mustangs, camaros to full size broncos I have learned that you can spend a ton of money making it work to run 2 secs slower than you anticipated.
Seriously consider diesel.

#9 ·
yes the truck has 200,000 miles...not to sound rude..but if i wanted a diesel to do this with i would have already bought one--dont get me wrong..i love them..actually looking at a 05 ram 3/4 ton right now..
but thats not the point of this project...i am a member of a dodge dakota's board and have a lot of help and input over there..and you do bring up a good point with the twin vs the single..and i will look into that more..thanks

like i said..dont mean to sound rude if i did...but yes
i will be doing a 3.9 turbo truck.. . .you can call me stupid and everything all you want..but it will be done...im sure someone has done some kind of research and maybe even done this before..just gotta find em :D

#10 ·
I dont think its stupid, from my experience turboing random stuff, it will likely be a long expensive way to get mediocre power. I'd just hate to spend $5k to turbo a truck and make 300 whp and 350 ft lbs if you are real lucky. (Your truck is like 175 hp flywheel OEM...300whp is asking a lot!!)
Dont get me wrong, if I ever get to see it I'd think its real cool! But that's like seeing a 400 whp v6 camaro, or a turbo v6 mustang.....its cool, but ....I leave scratching my head.
Hey its your truck, your money and as long as you are happy w/ it, I'll watch pretty much anything. We do see a lot of young 20s guys post up wish lists we all know will be a long road. (if ever happens at all) I just want you to go in knowing what you will possibly get. I dont want you to say, "I wish someone had told me so I didnt spend....."
:smileup:

Good luck, post pics, and have fun dood

#11 ·
Im in the same boat as you with my 2006 Ram 4.7L. I want to twin turbo it and do a nice looking top mount set up with the turbos about 12in back from the radiator support. another thing u have to look into is trans and rear end. will it all hold up to what your about to dish out or will it come apart? I have 2 vehicles but the truck is currently my daily until i figure out the turbo manifolds. keep me posted on ur progress. I think the twin turbo V6 is a sweet idea!

#13 ·
Welcome to Ramforumz davidcarr87. Don't let the nay-sayers kill your buzz! I think your on to something. The blue oval guys just did it to their F-150. I have a few thoughts for you to consider on your turbo 3.9. Look around small airports in your area and/or web sites with small piston aircraft. For safety reasons aircraft parts must be changed at what would be considered 50,000 miles if it were a car. As you can imagine, they must be meticulessly maintained. Every nut, bolt, plug gap or adjustment must be entered into their log books in the event of the inevitable. Semi annual and major annual inspections are required. I have never found dirty oil in the waste oil drums for what that's worth. Turbos in in your case, in perfect, usable condition for us ground dwellers become obsolete (timed out) and can be bought reasonably. If your gonna rebuild your 3.9 I'd guess 318/5.2 H beam rods & pistons should work. You will need bigger injector(s) for the added air you'll be pushing. I'd guess you could run 3-5 psi boost on a stock motor with injectors and a second fuel pump. Some headers and a 2 into 1 exhaust feeding a smaller turbo so it winds up quickly and gets you into boost sooner. I would guess 300/300 H.P/torque wouldn't be hard to obtain in stock forum on pump gas. Your well aware of the walls and hills in front of you and willing to make the trip. I'd like to follow along. Good Luck and keep us all in the loop!

#14 ·
I've played around with the 3.9 using both Boost and Nitrous, the 3.9 responds very well to both and can produce a Ton of Torque with either of these and I've used both at the same time on a stock 3.9 with no problems.

The biggest factor with these as it is with most engines using these power adders is the fuel supply and a proper timing curve dialed in to handle the cylinder pressures these can generate.

My stock block 3.9 has only had the Intake and Valve covers pulled for top end upgrades, the head gaskets and bottom end are all as it had when new.

a stock 3.9 with 6lbs boost will make a 211 HP at the rear wheels and do so reliably, add about 3lbs more and your in the mid 220's to low 230's.

I've also kicked the Nitrous up on this combo and popped a dyno test at Carlisle in the 290 hp range with almost 400 ft/lbs ....

#16 ·
I have a 1997 Ram 1500 rear wheel drive regular bed base model truck.. I am ABSOLUTELY in love with it. Why? because it's mine first of all and second.. just like many of you here, I see potential in her and I WILL NOT let anyone tell me I'm stupid for hopping up my V6.. this is My truck and this is what I desire to work with! So, do what you will. Keep researching and have fun with her! Because she's yours and NO ONE else has to drive her!

#17 ·
So much cheaper and easier to just leave the truck stock.

Just a few things you're going to need:

Turbos (obviously)
Custom exhaust work ( big $$ because thick materials aren't cheap)
Custom intake/charge piping (hope you know a guy or can do it yourself..)
Oil/coolant lines to the turbos.

But that's just the start. Can your block handle the power? Can the trans? How about the driveshaft & rear diff? A custom tune is pretty much a must. Most tuning shops charge over $100/hr for a completely custom tune like that.

Intercooling: how are you going to cool the air that was just compressed by your exhaust? air to air or air/water. Or go with chemical cooling. You're going to want at least one of the three.

How much power do you want to make? Moderate power? Gotta step up to 93 premium. Want to push some serious boost? Need to start spraying meth or switch to E85 as your primary fuel source. Careful, even though you already have to step up your fuel system for the boost, E85 requires roughly 33% more fuel to achieve the same lambda as gasoline (bigger fuel lines, bigger pump flow, bigger injectors, regulator, etc...)

There's A LOT that goes into a boosted engine. It's a completely different animal than swapping in a NA V8. I hate when people say this, but "If you have to ask..."

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.