DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Were you aware that your rims were chromed plastic covers?

• Yes

Votes: 442 55.6%
  • No

Votes: 353 44.4%

"Fake Chrome" Wheels

60K views 197 replies 156 participants last post by  Ragnar 
#1 ·
It is always interesting to browse the individual years for this truck. You will always see posts regarding the shock and usually displeasure when people discover that their chrome rims are actually chromed plastic. I have started this poll to see who was aware of this when they purchased the vehicle. :poopstorm:

#2 ·
I voted but don't own the rims because I knew they were plastic, just by reading the book and googleing Chrome Clad.

#3 ·
Actually i didn't look at anything when i bought it
I saw that it had an 8 cylinder, 4 wheel disc brakes, a tow hitch receiver, & a color that would be different from everyone else, & bucket seats
I never even drove it until after it i signed the paper work
It had a lot of what i needed to do my type of work & i added the rest

#4 ·
I researched my Ram for the better part of a year before I bought. I knew about all her little quirks, problems and abilities before I signed on the bottom line. Couldn't be happier even with the chrome clads....they will make great looking winter rims!

#8 ·
Yes i knew before I purchased. A salesman at a dealership told me about them, that's how I found out. I was already mentally committed to buying a ram, so it didn't stop me from buying the truck, but I must admit I was quite disappointed. IMO rims make a car, and often differentiate the cheaper models from the more expensive. These rims look good, but really they are crap. There is a reason they call them chrome clad, that is to keep most of us from realizing they are plastic. And the fact that other car companies r starting, or have been doing the same, doesn't make me feel any better. We paid a premium to have these rims, so it's not like its saving us any money to have plastic wheels. Just my 2 cents, but this is my one sticking point with the truck, and I don't like to sugar coat it and make excuses for it either. If I was that type, I might as well of bought the 6 cylinder and put hemi badges all over my truck.

#9 ·
I did not know there were plastic until I washed it the first time.
My previous Rams were 3/4T, and the rims were not plastic covered, so this was something new for me. I have no complaint with them at all. I think they look great, and the actual rim is aluminum, so it's not like the plastic is covering up some cheap stamped steel wheel.

#12 ·
I like the fact that they are plastic, it makes cleaning MUCH easier. Don't have the ability anymore to polish Wheels. My son wipes these down with a micro fiber towel after washing and they look awesome.
I agree Stagman, there is virtually no brake dust and at the most you wipe with some windex and they look perfect. Ive had mine for over a year now and they look like they day I bought the truck. Besides, no one else nows they are plastic.

#11 ·
I hate the Laramie wheels. Every time I clean the wheel. Not just the outside, but the inside of the wheel. My hands look like swiss cheese and hurt for the next month. Why does the plastic have to be so sharp? I was at first pissed about CC but they are ok. Not what I thought I was paying for. I think it is false advertisement. I wish I had the sport wheels. I think they would be much easer to keep like new. I did also notice after 3500 miles. I already have pits and brake dust penitrating into the rims.

#14 ·
I am not trying to be a jerk, but NOTHING is real any more. The chrome bug shield from MOPAR is just chrome plated the mirror covers same. They look good though. The thing I am most mad about is that, I was told by by service advisor that they are not replaceable. Got to replace the whole rim not just the overlay. To me that sucks, but that is why they make new RAMS everyday so we keep buying them that is how this country works.:LOL:

#15 ·
Here's the part that I don't get about these clad wheels. I bought a '12 Express this week that was traded from another dealer to get the white color I wanted. I was quoted a set price on the deal from a list of several Express models at other dealers since my local dealer didn't have any at the time. When the truck arrived, my dealer said they didn't realize that the white one I ordered had this $400 chrome clad wheel option, and that the deal would have to raised accordingly. I noticed some other ST models on their lot with the same "standard" Express alloy 20 inchers and what even appeared to be the same Goodyear Wrangler tires. I told them I wouldn't pay extra for these wheels, and they could just swap new-for-new. Of course, they just left them on my truck and lowered the price back to the original quote. My question is, "what makes these wheels worth a $400 upgrade?" I have no problem with the wheels or that they're clad alloy units, but $400 for the wheel and what appears to be the same tires?

Does anyone know if this $400 option is a wider wheel or such?...or something slightly different in the Wrangler HP's that seem to be the same on both? I was initially thinking the standard alloy wheels were 20 X 8. This clad version is 9"...but I can't find the source I was looking at during my research before the sale. I wasn't about to pay any additional money for these wheels. I like the way they look on my white truck with a polished nerf bar step but not enough to spend extra.

Attachments

#17 ·
My problem is not with the chrome clad. My problem is that these are the premium rims. I would be more understanding if the chrome clad were the standard wheel, since they r fake and plastic, and you had the option to upgrade from there. Does everything have to be completely backwards? I use to pay a premium to get the real thing, now I have to pay a premium to get the plastic rims. And like I said in an earlier post, I knew this before I purchased, but that doesn't mean I have to like it. Maybe next year I'll have to pay extra for body panels made out of cardboard, and everyone can tell me I should be cool with that.

#18 ·
My problem is not with the chrome clad. My problem is that these are the premium rims. I would be more understanding if the chrome clad were the standard wheel, since they r fake and plastic, and you had the option to upgrade from there. Does everything have to be completely backwards? I use to pay a premium to get the real thing, now I have to pay a premium to get the plastic rims. And like I said in an earlier post, I knew this before I purchased, but that doesn't mean I have to like it. Maybe next year I'll have to pay extra for body panels made out of cardboard, and everyone can tell me I should be cool with that.
I guess you wouldnt be to happy knowing some of the panels are aluminum and not steel too...
Chrome Steel 17x8" wheel weighs about 40lbs, aluminum 17x8" wheel weighs 25lbs incase.
The regular aluminum wheel costs less then a true chrome wheel and also helps hit the MPG goals set. Win win from an engineering/business standpoint.
I do agree that for the money being spent that they should atleast be a polished aluminum wheel.

#19 ·
Stangshcky12, you r missing the point, and i'm getting tired of explaining. The poser life may be for u, but i don't like pretending that they r something that they r not. I'm not asking for chromed rims, i'm just saying that for the price u r paying they should be the real deal no matter what they r supposed to be. This is a 40-50k dollar truck, with plastic hubcabs glued on. My problem is not with aluminum, its with plastic being somewhere it shouldn't be at this price, and thats on my wheels.

#21 ·
Stangshcky12, you r missing the point, and i'm getting tired of explaining. The poser life may be for u, but i don't like pretending that they r something that they r not. I'm not asking for chromed rims, i'm just saying that for the price u r paying they should be the real deal no matter what they r supposed to be. This is a 40-50k dollar truck, with plastic hubcabs glued on. My problem is not with aluminum, its with plastic being somewhere it shouldn't be at this price, and thats on my wheels.
JB, how did your window sticker show or describe these wheels?...or was it even mentioned? My '12 Express stated, "aluminum chrome-clad wheels" on the options portion of the sticker for that $400 uptick in price they wanted to tack on my original quoted price. The term "chrome-clad" certainly got my attention, as it was nothing I'd ever heard of before. But the fact that it was spelled out on the list caused me to ask for the details. When the dealer said it was a plastic, it did take me back a bit. But since I wasn't charged for it, what the heck.

In a perfect world to address your complaint, it would probably be better if the wheels were clearly described on the options list as having a "plastic overlay" or something similar. This would prevent confusion and disappointment, as no one should complete a vehicle purchase without studying the window sticker. I might agree a bit that these wheels probably aren't the best selection for a 40-50K pickup that Dodge could have made. Not so big a deal on my 20K pickup.

#23 ·
Hey TNC, I totally agree with what u r saying, I think u got the point I was trying to make.
The truth is I was aware of the plastic rims before I purchased the truck, but a lot of others were not and only learned the truth after the fact. The words "chrome clad" r a bit misleading, and at this price point, you shouldn't need to ask and most people didn't. They got us to pay a premium for plastic rims, and even though I was aware, I still don't agree. Plastic is what u get when u don't want to pay more.

#24 ·
They got us to pay a premium for plastic rims, and even though I was aware, I still don't agree. Plastic is what u get when u don't want to pay more.

I agree with this, these should be on the lower price point trucks. 40-50k sticker vehicles should have premium wheels, not plastic pieces of shit. i felt ripped off and went and bought xd badlands but frankly i shouldn't have had to....:4-flames:

#25 ·
It is interesting stats so far it is about 50-50, on who knew exactly the rim they were getting. I was that disgusted in the idea of plastic chrome rims that it actually influenced which option package of Ram that I bought. You pay 40 - 50 thousand and beyond for one of these trucks it is unacceptable that the rims are simply plastic chrome covers.

#29 · (Edited)
Surprised but happy

I didn't know these were plastic as i imagine alot of others did not know that these chrome clad wheels were plastic, they look awesome and very very easy to keep clean and polished, these are very inexpensive to repair/ replace if you happen to cosmetically damage one due to curb rash or offroad damage compared to getting the older model polished chrome wheels. but you are right, I was never told I had plastic hubcaps on my 50k new sport truck and because the wheels are still aluminium, I'm sure we are still charged the full premium price as it would cost for the more expensive polished Aluminium wheels.

#30 ·
I like the chrome plastic some times ez to clean wont rust replaceable when the wife slides off the road in the snow.

#31 ·
The chrome piece isn't replaceable. It's epoxied on and the chrome piece isn't available as a separate replacement part tot he best of my knowledge. If she totals a rim, it'll cost a whole new wheel.

#33 ·
I even have the factory aluminum rims that come on the big horn and when i bought it they had plastic chrome covers that pop on and off, i kinda liked it, kept brake dust off the aluminum rims and the covers keep most of the brake dust from getting on the outside of the cover so it is super easy to clean and maintain. I popped them off and plasti-dipped them not long ago and love the look. I have heard plasti-dip turns brown from brake dust but since the covers are keeping it away from the outside no issues so far!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.