DODGE RAM FORUM banner

360 burning lots of oil. not plenum pan gasket.

10K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  mach1974 
#1 ·
I recently purchased a 1997 Ram 1500 with the 5.9v8.
It was burning some oil so I replaced the plenum gasket, hoping that it would fix the problem. Didn't work. I have run all the vaccum tests and know that the gasket is good. The truck is currently going through 1 quart of oil per about 100 miles.. Lots of smoke on acceleration when cold, but clears up some when the truck heats up.
I am getting a misfire code in cylinder #1 which explains the slight lack of power that I am getting.
Compression is all around 145 psi, except cylinder #2 which is about 110psi.
Am I looking at bad rings? Bad valve seals? Somethin else?
Any help is appreciated!

#4 ·
I recently purchased a 1997 Ram 1500 with the 5.9v8.
It was burning some oil so I replaced the plenum gasket, hoping that it would fix the problem. Didn't work. I have run all the vaccum tests and know that the gasket is good. The truck is currently going through 1 quart of oil per about 100 miles.. Lots of smoke on acceleration when cold, but clears up some when the truck heats up.
I am getting a misfire code in cylinder #1 which explains the slight lack of power that I am getting.
Compression is all around 145 psi, except cylinder #2 which is about 110psi.
Am I looking at bad rings? Bad valve seals? Somethin else?
Any help is appreciated!
Check compression. :)
He already has Jamie

#5 ·
I would recommend a cylinder leak-down test on #2 to see where the leak is. Here's how to build a very good one. http://vmaxoutlaw.com/tech/leakdown_tester.htm
If your leakage is high, squirt some oil in there, that should seal the rings for a minute or so. You should have no, to VERY little coming through the intake (that would denote a valve issue. I had a similar issue on my Harley. Overreved it once and crushed a valve seal.
A question is, is the air leaking past the rings, pressurizing the crankcase, and blowing it through the pvc (which should also be checked) into the intake, to be burned by all cylinders. or is it just being burned in one cylinder? At 1qt per 100 miles, the plugs should tell the story

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.