DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Anybody see the Motor Trend review of the '15 Silverado?

5K views 32 replies 17 participants last post by  huntergreen 
#1 ·
Motor Trend did a brief "first drive" test of the 2015 Chevy Silverado 1500 Crew Cab, and all I can say is it's the closest thing I've seen to a verbal beat-down in the moto press. In comparison to the new Ford F-150 and the '14 (aka '15 :smileup:) Ram 1500, it did not stack up well, and IMO kudos to Motor Trend for not doing the normal gloss-over I've come to expect from mags.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/auto...d-crew-cab-first-test/ar-BBeOnNp?ocid=U142DHP

#2 ·
Yes, made me even happier with my Ram

Dodge has done well over the last three years with the Ram 1500.

My only complaint so far (169 miles) is the mpg monitor shows up where
the speedo shows mph... cannot have both at the same time.

Would be nice(r) to be able to have both to have the "efficiency meter" of driving properly and show the current speed.

#5 ·
Dodge has done well over the last three years with the Ram 1500.

My only complaint so far (169 miles) is the mpg monitor shows up where
the speedo shows mph... cannot have both at the same time.

Would be nice(r) to be able to have both to have the "efficiency meter" of driving properly and show the current speed.
I don't know if your evic is different then mine.but I can have the instant gauge showing on the side and the speed in the middle.

#4 · (Edited)
I drove the top of the line fully optioned out Ford and Chevy against the Ram and the Chevy wasn't even in the same ballpark as the Ram. It was clearly two generations behind. Only the Ford was a distant second to the Ram. The Chevy gets its reputation for being a "old mans" truck for a reason.

You know the Chevy is bad when Motor Trend can print a statement like this.....
The Chevrolet Silverado might be a disappointing drive
. What else can you take away from a review when that is being a accepted point of view.

Yea that's what I am looking for in a GM truck...Under powered, old fashion transmission and outdated technology. That's pretty much my take away from my test drive of the GMC Crew.

#6 ·
I have four of the 14 Silverado's in my business fleet, and I have several Fords. My last non RAM pickup for personal use was a 2011 Platinum F150 6.3L V8 4x4. My last Ford was state of the art at the Time, when It came time to trade it off in 2013 , the Ram had taken over that top spot in being state of the art, so I bought a Ram. I also later traded my Tahoe for another Ram in 14. Still nothing on the market that I found that could beat it in the model and the way I wanted it optioned.

For Chevy they do have a pretty value minded contender in the what RAM would call a Quad cab, GM now calls a double cab. With GM they have a LT model with a special option pkg called the All star pkg, that is a really outstanding value for the money. All 4 that I own are that exact value optioned LT All star pkg 2wd double cab models. For about 28K, I could not match feature content of those trucks with Ford or Ram for less then 30-31K.

Overall when looking at the top of line trucks Rams tech is second to none, for what is currently the market. The new 15 F150 will hit the market in the next few weeks or maybe a month from now. It has some tech features that will put it on top, but it also has some other things that really turn me off, like only one little V8 5.0, and no 8 speed, there premium engine is a Turbo V6, which I have 0 interest in. I would take a new 6.2 Chevy with the new Chevy 8 speed before I would buy a 15 Ford. Which I just ordered a 15 Ram, I still believe Ram has the best truck, just needs to bump up the tech, with things like real self leveling HIDs, smart Cruise control, lane departure and blind side monitoring, which GM has some of those and the new 15 F150 I believe has them all. However neither Ford or GM have Air Ride, Diesels, or stellar good looks like the Ram has. Added all up, the Ram was still the best fit for my taste.

#7 ·
CC1999

I agree with what you wrote. I had 91, 95, 98, 2001, 2005 Chevy and GMC pickups. Nothing wrong with the GM product, it's just hasn't evolved like the RAM and FORD in some areas.

I do like the GM 1500 with the new 6.2 and heavy duty rear end. It's a mover.

I have no interest in the Ford turbo motors with 60k warranties. I like the V8's. The Ford V8 is pretty solid and you don't lose much in performance.
If I was going to buy a 1500, I would seriously at all three for value and price. RAM usually has great discounts, plus they offer a nice owner forum.

Fast Lane Truck just published the Ram 2500 with the 6.4 towing up Ike Gauntlet. The Chevy 2500 with the 6.0 360 hp beat the Ram 6.4 up the mountain towing a max load by over a minute which was about 10% faster.
I think RAM needs to check that out and see if the 6.4 setup needs a update to the air intake or tuning.

I have to love my RAM 2500 with the Cummings.:smileup:

#8 ·
Fast Lane Truck just published the Ram 2500 with the 6.4 towing up Ike Gauntlet. The Chevy 2500 with the 6.0 360 hp beat the Ram 6.4 up the mountain towing a max load by over a minute which was about 10% faster.
I think RAM needs to check that out and see if the 6.4 setup needs a update to the air intake or tuning.
The FLT did contact Ram about how it towed and the Ram engineers stated it was designed to kick down to around 4k rpm and stay there if the engine had been high revving for a period of time. Was not good in this case as the truck slowed to 30 mph up the hill.

The best thing they could have done was to manually shift the trans and it would have been fine, but when they test the trucks they are left for the truck to automatically do the shifting and control of the engine. This is done with all the trucks and no human intervention except for the gas pedal.

#10 ·
I would make sure it has an 8 speed.

The 6 speed Denali and Escalades I drove back in the spring ran good. However I think my old ford 6.2l and the Hemi Rams feel stronger. Largely due to the excessive torque management programming GM runs. I think the 8 speeds should really wake it up. 8 gears sure woke up the variouse Chryers that have them.

#12 · (Edited)
I want to add a outside element that sinks GM regardless what they do for many of us. A little while back many of us that had retirements and investments in GM took a bath and got robbed blind by GM taking Federal bail out money. They gave the senior management raises and then still went bankrupt leaving all of use Americans that had stock in GM holding the check. Many if not all demographics that would and can afford a new truck probably had some money invested in GM which was considered a conservative blue chip stock. I took a beating but am alright because I have many eggs in different baskets but ALOT of your "core" Chevy truck guys that are retired or soon to be retired got hurt irreversibly.
This is why many including myself are so pissed we would never buy a GM car even if it was half price. I would sooner set fire and roll a GM product in the woods if I was given one since I lost a significant amount of money with GM's deception and cowardly business practices.
FYI: Ford didnt screw over their stock holders at the same time so it was a GM only maneuver. The moral of the story is: Don't discount what ALOT of us feel about GM's horrific business practices and how they alienated all of potential customers.

#13 ·
I want to add a outside element that sinks GM regardless what they do for many of us.
I can't see how your rant has anything to do with the thread. Creative accounting is still used by all the corporations. I lost more money due to the banks than I lost with GM and I worked there.

As far as the GM 1500 beat down, well, I've driven them, several times on many occasions (work related) as well as the Ford F whatevers and I own a RAM 1500. The GM's are quieter inside than the RAM which is much quieter than the Fords. As far as driver ergonomics the GM wins with exception to configuring the IP display. I think RAM has a better IP display. Ford is behind but that will change with the 15s.

#19 ·
The 6.2L has not been a Denali only option in years. I have some buddy's with 6.2L SLE and SLTs both 2012's . The new K2's (2014-) I do believe are restricted to SLT GMC and up and something similar in the Chevy.

Now in the SUVs they are restricted to the Denali and Escalades only. Chevy had a 6.2L available in the LTZ Tahoe had an optional 6.2 for 1.5 years, back in the later half of 08' as 2wd only and all of 2009 in both 2wd and part time 4x4.
I had a part time 4x4 6.2 Tahoe LTZ.

#21 ·
My 93 year old dad just bought a 2013 holdover Silverado. Ram was too powerful. Now he's complaining the 4.8L/ 4speed is too slow and funny looking. Parked next to my 05 Ram, he says: "Why did Chevy make that hideous jowly looking front end and square wheel wells?" Jeez dad, I guess they were smoking crack.:doh:

#25 ·
Back to trucks. Over the past two years I have driver every new American pickup. They are much more identical than they are different. Nothing like old pickups. Each brand has it's strength and it's weaknesses. Each model too. Each has addressed past failings. I have chosen a Ram because it seemed the best to me, but it was not an easy slam dunk decision.

A beatdown? It's only possible to say that in an overly hyped world.

#26 ·
Agreed, they are all pretty nice now days, I think there are some minor pros and cons, and I think the really major thing separating them from each other is appearance. I think Ram has that area mastered hands down, over the others. Seems to me the others tend to go way overboard to try and make there trucks look tough. I would much rather a truck look good and be tough.

#28 ·
I like the 0% financing on GMs over 84 months in Canada. Enough to kinda consider one, but I still think the RAM is a better truck on all accounts, so it will still be a RAM. I guess RAM doesn't need to offer this since RAM was or still is the No. 2 selling truck in Canada.

#30 ·
I have been a Ford guy my whole life. When it came time to purchase this time I did a great deal of research and test driving. The Chevys are not even in the ballgame. Ram definitely has the top product out for '15 with the new Fords close behind. I had a lengthy conversation with a local man who owns dealerships for all 3 and his words to me were that he would not allow any member of his family to drive anything made by GM right now. He talked about inferior parts, ignition problems, etc.. and expressed a serious concern for safety. Pretty eye opening from someone who can drive whatever he wants and has inside information on the entire industry.

#32 ·
I agree, I'd never buy anything but a Dodge/Ram, but Chevy is second followed by Ford. The non-American trucks are waay farther down the list with the Nissan over the Toyota.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.