DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Bell Tech Lowering Kit Feedback

45K views 116 replies 39 participants last post by  Syke001 
#1 ·
I thought I'd post a little something about my experience with the Bell Tech 963SP Lowering Kit. I've read in the past several people asking about the panhard rod bar which some refer to as a track bar and the issues with it related to lowering the truck.

I went with Bell Tech because of my research results, price and ride quality. Bell Tech addressed shock stroke by offering 2 different shocks for the lower height, high quality springs (more on this later), and engineered elastomers / bump stops.

The McGuaghys kit was my other choice but obviously didn't go with it. I didn't agree with a couple of things with this kit. 1 being the stock shocks were not addressed. Some agree while others don't. To each their own. 2 is the generic bump stop provided and just cutting of the elastomer. 3 if you used their lowering spindles you increase the front track width. 4 complaints of the softness of the rear springs. 5 the fitment of the panhard rod bar / track bar re-locator bracket.

So I move on to my feedback of the Bell Tech kit...I know several people here have this kit and the feedback is just my $.02 and is not meant to offend anyone it's just to provide another point of view and information. The kit was professionally installed and aligned. The front end was not able to be adjusted back to stock specifications contrary to what Bell Tech states. So I'm left with some negative camber. It's at an acceptable amount but will wear tires. The rear end shifted to the passenger side by about 1/4'' due to the radical panhard rod angle from lowering. The shift is not too visibly noticeable with stock balloon tires but really noticeable with larger rims and lower profile tires. Bell Tech did not address this issue. The ride is really nice, impressively nice overall for a lowered vehicle. Well...until the roads get a little rough or while driving on bucking types of roads. This is when the rear of my truck shimmies left to right. Hit a large bump on a sweeping curve while on a California highway at speed and you might need a change of undergarments. While this hasn't caused me to crash I can see a potential hazard become a real life issue. So I have the shop look over the truck and their install. The shop informs me that Bell Tech should've addressed the panhard rod angle and that in a perfect world shouldn't be angled more than 10% of the overall length from parallel. Bouncing on the rear of the truck you can see and feel it shift side to side from the panhard rod pulling the same way it shifted the rear end to the passenger side. The shop is custom fabricating a bracket to bring the rear geometry back where it should be. An adjustable panhard rod will only address the axle location and not the geometry which means it will still shimmy. I'll post results and picts when it's done.

Now on to the quality of the springs. The passenger side has sagged more than the drivers side. There is a 1'' height difference.This was observed while on the alignment rack. It was suggested that I wait to see if they settle more or even out. If not we may try swapping the springs left to right later to see if it evens out that way. I'll try to update with the results later on.

Bell Tech's customer service is horrible. McGaughy's customer service is better.

See less See more
#2 ·
I am interested to hear some other thoughts on these issues especially on different models. I have a 2009 2wd QC and i have the 963SP kit. i am planning on install tomorrow morning. But now you have me worried. I don't want to screw up a already good truck. my plans was to maybe improve the handling and and looks, but not at the risk of poor quality.

#3 ·
well you did more homework than i did or thought i did. i have the 2011 quadcab bighorn edition, and i did the install myself. louisiana has horrible roads, it road smooth as could be stock and now is quite stiff, i figured it was due to the roads and sporty springs. i have not noticed or inspected the rear of the truck but now am thinking about doing that. i have the stock rims and tires and the right/passenger sits noticeably lower and has actually rubbed the plastic liner, im almost to the point of removing the kit but love the lowered look...keep us posted on your findings, i know ill be following closely

#4 ·
I just finished my install this past weekend. I too noticed about a 3/4" diff in right to left height in the rear when I measured. But I can't really see it just by looking at the truck. And I can see where the rear axle has shifted to the passenger side about .5". I have even bottomed out the rear once already and have to be very causious of the road condition. This is my first lowered truck. So I wasnt sure what is. Normal or not good

#5 ·
Have you guys checked to see ride height with you in it?

When we set up suspension on drag cars when we lower them we set ride hight with someone in the car and usually when they are out its .5-.75" difference side to side

#7 ·
my measurements are off if it was figured for a driver in the truck. driver side rear already sits 3/4" lower without my 220lb butt, and i have a 2wd QC. it really isnt a big deal to my cause like i said i cant tell. But i do plan on adding 22s in the future and i dont want the side to side shift to be noticeable

#8 ·
Ok guys I just got back from spending half the day at the shop. I had the panhard rod relocated to correct the geometry issues and the sway bar links shortened. The truck rides great now. No more side to side wobbles when hitting or going over bumps. It tracks straight now. It even rides smoother.

To answer the question about measuring ride height with or without the driver (me) in it is yes we measured it both ways even different times with less than 1/4 tank of gas and with a full tank of gas in it. What I found was anything less than a full tank of gas in it would make it approximately 7/16'' higher on the drivers side than the passenger side. Still not acceptable in my opinion. Next I will be pulling out my rear springs to see if one settled more than the other and swap sides to see if that makes a difference.

My truck is a 2wd CC.

Attachments

#36 ·
I want one

I have the same problem with mine, on the freeway it's almost scary you feel like the truck is out of control. What angle do you have it at now? I need some serious help it's driving me nuts. Can I buy one off you or can you tell me what I need to do to make one, I'm a pretty crafty welder. Where did you get yours made? Will it bring the axle back inline? Anything you can do to help would be greatly appreciated? I hate my truck right now argh haha

#12 ·
well im hoping everything goes good for you. i have another post that talks about the problems that i had with mine settleing wrong. i have to remove mine this weekend and take it back to stock hieghth and return my kit to jegs. i called belltech and they are changing their website to be only for 2009 and 2010. the 963SP will not fit the 2011-2012. they are awaiting a vehicle to start R&D, theyre expecting a month to start R&D....so now im back on the market for a correct drop kit

#13 ·
Thanks rscwboy for the info. I think a quick way to identify some of the problems here is to switch the springs around. If my truck tilts to the other side then I'd say its the springs settling unevenly. I seriously doubt there is any difference between the year applications here. Dodge lists all the same part numbers for 2009-2011 suspensions. Also I haven't found another manufacturer of lowering kits that's having this problem. Can anyone else chime in on that?

#14 ·
This should be interesting as I just installed the 963SP kit on my 2011 Ram CC and so far have no issues. All the corners measure identical to one another so far, I had Dodge re-align it today and they gave the green light on it so I'm thinking everything is alright for now. Maybe as the springs settle things might not work out so well, we'll see.

#16 ·
sorry i dont see anything in my inbox??????

#19 ·
I'm willing to call them and ask for the shorter end links since they sold us the kits. I just wonder how that effects the description RC Dude posted below with the Pan Hard Bar. I'm not what you'd call an "engineer", and telemetry isn't exactly my "strong suit" lol

I can't believe that manufacturers are not honestly providing truthful information. McGaughy states they never heard of front track width increasing with the use of their spindles. BellTech states that there will be no axle shift when using their lowering kit.

While I'm no expert by any stretch of the imagination I know how to research things. Sometimes a little too late and not enough.

There is plenty of talk on multiple forums regarding lowering / lifting trucks with panhard rods / track bars and the effect on axle positioning when changing the truck height. Many different fixes also can be found from drilling new holes in the factory frame mount to making the panhard rod adjustable or purchasing an adjustable one. I found a simple picture that will maybe help explain or illustrate the movement that will be experienced when lowering without correction. McGaughy knows this which is why they provide a relocating bracket with some of their kits.

#18 ·
I can't believe that manufacturers are not honestly providing truthful information. McGaughy states they never heard of front track width increasing with the use of their spindles. BellTech states that there will be no axle shift when using their lowering kit.

While I'm no expert by any stretch of the imagination I know how to research things. Sometimes a little too late and not enough.

There is plenty of talk on multiple forums regarding lowering / lifting trucks with panhard rods / track bars and the effect on axle positioning when changing the truck height. Many different fixes also can be found from drilling new holes in the factory frame mount to making the panhard rod adjustable or purchasing an adjustable one. I found a simple picture that will maybe help explain or illustrate the movement that will be experienced when lowering without correction. McGaughy knows this which is why they provide a relocating bracket with some of their kits.

Attachments

#21 ·
this is one of the emails i recieved from him

This is pretty typical of the question and concerns that I've seen before. Again, I personally did the test fitment this in early 2010. the shortened end links are something that have always come with our kit, hands down. Period. As far as the Pan hard bar being off, how much is off?

#23 ·
well im going to finally chime in being one of a few people that have received two of these kits...my other posts mentioned problems i was having and contact with beltech and jegs both. jegs was awesome enough to send a full second kit, packaged alot better and you tell a noticeable difference in the front springs though they were same part number, my problem was definitely a bad spring. NEITHER kit contained anything shorter: four springs, four shocks and four bump stops, alot of airbags and instructions. im now interested in these emails and to see where things go from here??? i have spent way to much time on lowering this truck

#24 ·
Myself and Indeepwaterblue have both verfied with belltech that short end links SHOULD have been included with your kit. They asked him for proof of purchase and they will get his sent out. I would advise you to contact belltech and let them know. You should have no problem getting your sway bar links. Sounds like a bunch of belltech guys will be chiming in. Let the crap hit the fan, should have never happened.

#26 ·
yeah ive seen the pics, im mechanically enclined to change parts, never thought about what would happen with other end links and bars, glad yall did and took pics. i just called jegs and belltech will be this afternoon after work if no response from jegs. only called them first so they can get the right info and parts as well so noone gets wrongs kits again. thanks for all the help

#32 ·
i receieved a reply from jegs, they contacted beltech and beltech is shipping me the rest of the kit. im hoping everyone responds or hears from dodge and can confirm whether or not these extra parts are needed or if its supposed to be off center.

as far as the lowering kit itself, i love the way it looks as far as stock tire clearence goes and the wife loves being able to get in the truck without having to climb in. feedback is still a thumbs up from me if it helps the origional questions and posts

#35 ·
I have a single pic i took before the kit just need to get a pic of the truck the way it sits now, BUt i know for a fact the axle shifted after the kit was installed. I did not recieve the end links either. cant believe that sooo many people did not get all the parts needed. I wonder of they figured this out later and are trying to cover as if they knew all the time and its just a packageing error.......

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.