DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Getting new 35" tires - which to get?

13K views 41 replies 34 participants last post by  Astartes 
#1 ·
I've been spending a TON of time browsing all the threads on this forum and thanks to everyone for all the great info and providing answers to all my questions. Based on all the info I've found here I've decided to level the front end with the 5100 Billstein shocks and get some 35x12.5 tires. Haven't decided on which wheels to get yet - I'm starting with the tires. For the wheels I'm going to go with a -12 to -20 offset to get the tires to stick out a little to give it an aggressive look and try to prevent rubbing. I'll add spacers if necessary.

Right now I've got a stock 2009 TRX4 with stock 17" wheels, 275/70 17 tires. The new tires & rims will be my first mod. Color is black with the lower silver paint and silver flares.

So here's my question: What tires does everyone recommend? I'd like a more aggressive tire but don't want excessive road noise. I don't mind if they're a little louder than stock but I don't want my ears to explode from a constant loud hum. I've found a lot that I like but I'm worried about the noise.

What's everyone think?

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
I'm a big fan of Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs. They aren't loud on the road and are pretty aggressive. I have used them on dirt, snow, and shallow mud and they did very well. Here's some pics

And an older pic below when I first got them.

#4 ·
im gonna suggest nitto trail grappler from what iv herd they are a good all around tire and not noisy on the hwy

#10 ·
I have the BFG KM2s and I ws just going to recommend them to you haha. I have them in a 40" tire by 14.5" wide and the road noise is not bad at all. You wouldd think with a tire that big you could hear it a mile away but you cant. There is some noise but that is definitely expected with a tire that big.

I have not had them long enough to see how they wear. I am expecting an alright wear on these since they are made by BFG and they are made for the road as well as off. The styling of them is great. I love the way they look on the truck. I was not ure how they would from the pics online but in person they are great. The sidewalls are pretty simple and it works. The tread does look kinda like a crawler style tire which is prety cool. All in all I really like these tires.

There also is the BFG A/T KO tires. I have them on my 11 Ram and I like them as well. I have them in a 305/55/20 which is a little more then a 33" tall tire. These tires make no noise at all. They have great tread wear and they last a long time. They are not as aggressive as the KM2s but they still look good. These are made for the road and you can tell.

I definitely am I BFG fan and would recommend both of these tires to every and anyone that wants a great performing tire that looks and works good

#11 ·
I have the BFG KM2s and I ws just going to recommend them to you haha. I have them in a 40" tire by 14.5" wide and the road noise is not bad at all. You wouldd think with a tire that big you could hear it a mile away but you cant. There is some noise but that is definitely expected with a tire that big.

I have not had them long enough to see how they wear. I am expecting an alright wear on these since they are made by BFG and they are made for the road as well as off. The styling of them is great. I love the way they look on the truck. I was not ure how they would from the pics online but in person they are great. The sidewalls are pretty simple and it works. The tread does look kinda like a crawler style tire which is prety cool. All in all I really like these tires.

There also is the BFG A/T KO tires. I have them on my 11 Ram and I like them as well. I have them in a 305/55/20 which is a little more then a 33" tall tire. These tires make no noise at all. They have great tread wear and they last a long time. They are not as aggressive as the KM2s but they still look good. These are made for the road and you can tell.

I definitely am I BFG fan and would recommend both of these tires to every and anyone that wants a great performing tire that looks and works good
Hey Skat, do you have any pics of your truck with the KM2s? I was thinking the same think you said about not being too sure what they looked like online so I'd really like to see them installed.

I had the AT KOs on my last truck and like them a lot but just want a more aggressive look this time.

Thanks!

#12 ·
I run BF A/T KOs on my 2006. I have my truck leveled and have the 285/65R20s on them. I am basically running a 35" tire but they are about an inch narrower than the 12.5. I was worried about rubbing issues with the 12.5s but again I have a 06 and am not familiar with the 09. If you like larger wheels and want a 35" tire, I definitely recomment these. Good luck

#13 ·
do you want a mud tire or an at?

#14 ·
I have Cooper Discoverer ST 25x12.5x17s on my truck. I have only put about 1000 miles on them so can't say much about them. They have a little hum but not too loud. They look really aggressive but I have not had a chance to put them in the mud yet. They were good in a couple downpours I was in. The only problem I had with them was getting them balanced. I had to get them balanced twice and the second time got it done.

#15 · (Edited)
You can't go wrong with a BFG. I have the nitto terra grapplers on mine and they have over 30k on them and show very little wear

#16 ·
A better pic of the tread

#17 ·
i've got 33'' dick cepek mud countrys that i really like. i've got about 20k on them and the wear is great. they were quiet at first then as they broke in a little they got a little louder, definitely can tell they're mud tires. they've done great in the mud as well, been stuck a few times but it wasn't really the tires fault. also great in the rain, pretty good in the snow (i always drive a little slower and am a little more cautious regardless of my tires when its packed down and pretty icey). overall a great tire tho

#20 ·
Hello there, I've read everyone's quick replies. They're all good choices.
i'm new to this forum, i just started Today. I would also recommend Mickey Thompson Baja Mud Terrains, they have that aggresive look without that loud hum, but it isn't completly quiet and are great for an everyday driver. i just ordered some 35x12.5r17 for my Dodge but won't get them till Tuesday.

Hope I helped,
Haave a great one.

#21 ·
Thanks to everyone for all the great suggestions. I ended up with the Nitto Trail Grapplers, 35x12.5x18. Also got a great deail on ebay for some American eagle 197 wheels black and chrome. Unfortunately my Bilstein 5100 shocks are on backorder until at least the 15th of May. Can't wait to get everything installed. I've been having trouble finding pics of my truck with the bigger tires/wheel because the TRX4 package isn't very prevelant. Until today. I was on my way to work this morning and saw a Dodge coming up in my rear view mirror. Turns out it was my exact truck - same colors and everything - with 35's and leveled. I can't wait to get everything installed cuz my truck's gonna look AWESOME!!!! :head3:

Thanks again to everyone!!

#24 ·
I've been having issues with my wheel/tire combination that include the Nitto Tail Grappler. My advice....run far far away from Nitto. They're garbage. Now...before everyone jumps on me for saying that, I'm speaking from my own personal experience on my truck and everybody knows that every truck is different.

I had a two and a half hour conversation with a tire/wheel guy that's been in business for 35+ years....he also said the Nitto's have had plenty of issues and he's had to return many a set.

I know lots of guys run them and love them and yes they are only slightly louder than the stock tires...and yes, they look great, but, me personally, I'm not at all happy with them.

Before you buy anything, go and talk to someone and knows their chit. Most online wheel shops and a lot of custom shops just want to sell you something and likely they deal with vendors and don't do work themselves. Stay away from Wheel Pro's, they are the ones who put my Terra Grapplers on an 8.5" rim when the bare minimum from Nitto themselves is a 9" rim. Ideally it should be a 10 - 11" rim.

Sorry to vent and again, this is just MY experience, others have had very different ones. My point (which was very circuitous to get too) is that make sure you talk to someone who knows wheels and tires...and not just because some computer tells them they will fit because they just plug in your year, make and model.

My two cents.

#27 ·
I have to agree about the Nitto Trail Grappler M/Ts sucking!!! I have a set of 35x12.5/17LTs and they have a HORRIBLE thread walk. They feel like the front end in my truck is gonna fall out from underneath it. The lugs are so tall and soft that they walk back and forth as they roll down the road causing a drifting felling that you naturally wanna correct with the steering wheel feeling like they wondering all over the road.

#28 ·
Duno about anybody else but I have the Cooper Discover STT. Technically rated as a mud terrain tire (and they hold up well in many mud situations believe you me) but I drive almost 90% on the road to and from town. Nice quiet hum, but turn on your stereo and its gone. Have nothing but good to say about them, even on the ice! For the money I spent I couldnt be happier.

#29 · (Edited)
20k on my 37" nitto trails with no issues. they are esentially toyos and those get good reviews. at first i thought they were going to wear out in 15k miles but they have since held up just fine. i will agree they felt soft in the beginning and probably still are, but it seems like they have worn less and less with more miles. i did get a tip from hrt offroad, run them at 40 psi and they will wear out much slower. i was running 70 ish and have since come down to 42. much better wear.

i have run both kumho mt and at and had great luck with them. i'm in the northeast and in stock form the kumho mt sucked in the snow, but sipped were much better. kumhos seem to wear like iron, have had them on trucks and cars and got great mileage from them. coopers mt is stiff as hell but the stt maxx looks like a great tire. unfortunatly in the size i run i don't have many choices. i will say that if you don't plan on wheeling your truck at all then the mt's are pointless besides looks. i like the agressive at's like the stt maxx, fc2 or atz. but again nothing in my size really, so i'm forced to run mt's or bfg at's or swampers.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.