DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 3RD Generation Dodge Ram 2002 to 2008 Dodge Ram Trucks > Heating & Cooling

Notices

Heating & Cooling 3rd Gen Dodge Ram Heating & Cooling Problems and Questions.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 12-23-2012, 11:26 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2004 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Black
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:10
JeremyHumes is on a distinguished road
Default Multiple Heating/Cooling/Electrical Issues

Hello, This is my first post. Let me start with a little background of my truck. I own a 2004 4wd Ram 1500 Laramie with the 5.7L Hemi and an automatic transmission. 120,000 miles.

I have been working out of town for the last 5 months, and these problems all began to snowball during this time of limited driving.

First of all, on occasion there is a red lightning bolt that will flash on the lower left hand side of the cluster, Illustrating an issue is the Electronic Throttle Control (i think). Now what is happening is there will be an occasional check light that appears and will ding for 5 minutes on and off letting me know that my rear driver side turn signal is out, which it isn't.

The ABS/Brake light is now coming on, the cruise control will no longer work and the speedometer isn't working anymore. But, as far as I can tell the rest of the gauges are working properly.

Now on to the heating and cooling....

The vents in the truck are no longer directing the flow of air, the air will only blow out of the dash vents no matter what the control is set to. No matter what temperature I have the truck set to, it will only blow the hottest air possible. The A/C button will not light up showing any life in that part of the system. And, the mirror and rear window defrost are not working any longer, and these symptoms all came on at the same time...

I am wondering if these symptoms could be caused by the same electrical problem, or if there could be a bunch of little things that are wrong and it is just a coincident that these problems all occurred at the same time.

Thank you in advance for your help.

-Jeremy
Sponsored links
Old 12-23-2012, 11:36 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2615
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

have you tried disconnecting the battery for say 15 minutes ?
It may reset everything
although the climate control settings may be a separate issue
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle
Old 12-24-2012, 03:08 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTyankee View Post
have you tried disconnecting the battery for say 15 minutes ?
It may reset everything
although the climate control settings may be a separate issue

Yes I have, but unfortunately it did not help.
Old 12-24-2012, 04:32 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4X4
Trim Level: Sport quad cab
Color: Bright Silver Metallic
Rep:360
starquestbd22 is just really nicestarquestbd22 is just really nicestarquestbd22 is just really nicestarquestbd22 is just really nice

Wow, that's a lot of issues. I would have a really hard time believing that all of that happened at the same time or even within a short time period and is several individual issues. Seems much more likely it is all being caused by the same root issue.

The only problems that I saw that I would have had a possible solution for is the airflow/temp control issues. Alone, it sounds like it would likely be failure of multiple HVAC doors. But with all of the other HVAC related problems I would guess it's all being caused by the same thing. Obviously, failure of the HVAC doors will not cause any of these other problems.

I'm no mechanic by any means so this is a not very educated guess but my first thought is instrument cluster issues. I'm pretty sure the IC is connected to and helps control several other control systems in the truck.

Not sure if you are aware or if it will help any or not but there is a diagnostic procedure that you can make the cluster run through. I believe you have to hold the odometer trip/reset button down while the ignition is off and continue to hold it down while you turn it to start (or whatever the setting is before it actually engages the starter). The IC will run through a self diagnostic and display any error codes in the odometer display screen when it finishes.

Hope this helps and keep us updated.
06-08 chrome clads w/33" Cooper Discoverer H/T Plus, Mopar tailgate spoiler, debadged door trim & tailgate emblems, 13" antenna, LED dome & maps, Magnaflow 22" SI/DO, 18% tint, "HEMI" hood spears, VHT tinted tails & third brake light, Lamin-x optic blue fogs, leveled w/McGaughys 2" drop shackles.
Old 01-04-2013, 03:50 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

I will attempt the self diagnosis when I return home. I haven't heard that way of running a code check. I have read other ways of Che king your codes that on loved turning the key on and off but was never able to get them to work.

Now for the trucks problems. The main problems I am having right now is not being able to direct my airflow as well as not being able to adjust my temp from extreme heat. Any suggestions?
Old 01-04-2013, 07:39 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4X4
Trim Level: Sport quad cab
Color: Bright Silver Metallic
Rep:360
starquestbd22 is just really nicestarquestbd22 is just really nicestarquestbd22 is just really nicestarquestbd22 is just really nice

Yeah, some models will display the OBDII trouble codes when you turn the ignition on and off in the proper sequence. It worked on my 2006 but I can't get it to work on my 2004. Holding the odo while turning the switch on actually initiates an instrument cluster specific diagnostic. Any codes that display should pertain to the cluster or something connected. It works on my 2004. My readout displayed "NONE" after the diagnostic sequence.

As for the HVAC issues...the only thought I have is what I briefly mentioned in my other post. The HVAC doors are controlled by small electronic motors that turn to open and close the doors rather than being vacuum controlled like most vehicles. The motors overtorque the doors over time and they break causing a lack of function of whatever door it was. Mode door 1 controls the flow of air from the main part of the system (the main front vents) to the secondary part of the system. Once in the secondary, mode door 2 directs flow either to the defrost or floor vents. The blend door controls the air mixture by controlling how much air passes over the heater core. Failure of mode door 1 and the blend door would theoretically cause the airflow issues you are having.

I guess it's possible that whatever your root problem is has led to some additional failures of electronic parts. Failure of these two HVAC doors isn't really uncommon but failure of both of them at the same time when they were previously functioning is extremely unlikely. I wonder if an electrical problem could have destroyed the tiny motors that control the doors?

Not sure if it helps but you can search "Heater Treater Dodge Ram" on youtube. They have a couple of pretty good diagnostic vids for the HVAC doors. I'm still a little skeptical about this being the problem though.
06-08 chrome clads w/33" Cooper Discoverer H/T Plus, Mopar tailgate spoiler, debadged door trim & tailgate emblems, 13" antenna, LED dome & maps, Magnaflow 22" SI/DO, 18% tint, "HEMI" hood spears, VHT tinted tails & third brake light, Lamin-x optic blue fogs, leveled w/McGaughys 2" drop shackles.
Old 01-05-2013, 12:20 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

I am leaning towards a possible electrical malfunction. My temp controll switches are not working, my vent controll knob isn't working, the a/c will not turn on, and the rear window defrost button won't work.

When the speedometer originally quit working, I was driving the next day and it began working. The rear window began to fog up and I hit the rear defrost button and the speedomiter quite working agian ( and the defrost didn't come on). And the speedomiter hasn't worked since.
Old 01-16-2013, 10:20 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Time For an update.

My truck is still messed up... But I have scoured many message boards on the internet and have found many dodge rams with my same issues and many have found different fixes as the culprit.

Possibility 1
VSS sensor. Yes this is the sensor on the rear diff. I changed mine a couple days ago and had no such luck

Possibility 2
Faulty Ignition. Not the drum and key side, but the electrical side. Since this was only 40 dollars and not to difficult I decided to change it, but once again, to no avail.

Possibility 3

Faulty Body Control computer. I am thinking that this may be one of my two choices as for what is wrong with my truck. The BCC controls all the electrical functions inside the cabin.

Possibility 4
Faulty ABS control module.

Dodge trucks with RWAL abs do not have an ABS control Module, but since my truck has 4WAL ABS the different parts of the abs system all talk to this one box, which in turns evaluates the information collected and relays ABS system information to the main computer.

When I hooked my truck up to a good diagnosis computer last night I showed a code stating my VSS was bad (which I just changed 3 days ago)

So, I proceeded to run an ABS test, and the computer read that there was connection issue. Which was odd because I could run any other test I wanted to, except for any ABS test.

After some more research, I concluded the OBD2 reader is trying to communicate with that ABS control module. Since no signal can be found, my understanding is the problem is with either actual Module its self, or a problem in the wiring harness.

My next test will be to verify my 12v and ground at the ABS control module.
Old 10-14-2013, 12:10 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2002 dodge ram 1500 slt quad c
Trim Level: Slt
Color: Gray
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Tkkracing is on a distinguished road

I know this is an older post but I am having the exact same issues. Did you ever find out what the problem was. Thank you