DODGE RAM FORUM banner

What truck would you pick?

3K views 32 replies 15 participants last post by  EWC88 
#1 ·
Need some help everyone.

I am looking at 2 trucks, same years but have a little differences. So I need your help on what you guys think I should go with.

Truck 1:
2002 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab (silver)
-4.7l
-2wd
-Tint
-Brand new flowmasters
-HID's fogs and headlights
-22's with brand new Falkens, as well as set of 20's with tires
-71k on truck
-New radiator
-Has decent scratch on tailgate, I can get done cheap
-Had it check out, everything looks great for a 02 buddy said

Truck 2:
2002 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab (silver)
-5.9l
-4x4
-65k miles
-Tint
-Black leather heated seats
-20's with new tires
-Has decent size dent on tailgate (only seen pic so far)
-Has dent behind rt rear, bubbling over wheel wells size of quarters (he said he got quoe of $600 to fix

Now truck 2 is asking $7,500

Truck one wanted $9,800, but so far I got him down to $8,700 and looking to try and talk a little more.

What would you guys do? I would have to get Truck 2 check to make sure all is good.

See less See more
#3 ·
I purchased a 5.9L 4x4, and although I got a GREAT deal on the truck, I wish it had a smaller engine. 12mpgs SUCK, especially since it costs $82 to fill it up--with regular octane gas. I actually entertained the idea of selling mine and buying something similar, except with a smaller engine and 2wd (I will NEVER use the 4x4 option).

So, my choice would be truck 1. If you have a 5th wheel camper or a huge horse trailer or something like that to tow, perhaps you should get #2.

#5 ·
neither the 4.7 or 5.9 get great gas mileage lol but i would take the 4.7 over the 5.9 cause they are just brutal on fuel. Also the 4.7 has alot more mods and you could sell your second set of rims and tires for like 800 bucks likely unless u need them for winters

G
#6 ·
I agree...the 5.9L is not a fuel efficient engine.

However, you didn't indicate what you would be using the truck for. If you are towing, hauling, need 4X4 from time to time, then Truck 2 fits your needs more.

Good luck with your choice!

#9 · (Edited)
I agree...the 5.9L is not a fuel efficient engine.

However, you didn't indicate what you would be using the truck for. If you are towing, hauling, need 4X4 from time to time, then Truck 2 fits your needs more.

Good luck with your choice!

+1, i had a 2wd 4.7 QC in South Dakota. never had a real problem driving in snow storms or anything..... MPG was the killa, but compared to my current truck, that 4.7 was a miser. i'm actually hoping to get my truck on the road by the end of the week and putting it up for sale. :sad::sad::sad:all i gotta do is finish installing the E-fan and controller, register the truck, and i'm gtg. but the gas.......
it's bad enough filling the minivan.

#7 ·
Ask yourself do you need a 4x4 or just want it. If your going to use the 4x4 then thats what you need to get, just have it checked out and try to get a better price. Remember cash in hand is a big motivator to sell even if the price is a little lower than he wants. Good luck.

#10 ·
Don't need it really to be towing, 4x4 not positive if I will use, I live in NJ, not country part more sub like, we don't get hit that hard with snow just past 2 years we have. Mostly need truck possibly for jobs I am looking at, mostly for the tailgate space and all.

Think I am going with option 1 for the truck, Truck 2 threw me off with the bubbling, and engine size is nice to be bigger but just means I'm going eat more gas then ever.

Maybe I can talk down truck 1 but mentioning truck 2?

#11 ·
Don't need it really to be towing, 4x4 not positive if I will use, I live in NJ, not country part more sub like, we don't get hit that hard with snow just past 2 years we have. Mostly need truck possibly for jobs I am looking at, mostly for the tailgate space and all.

Think I am going with option 1 for the truck, Truck 2 threw me off with the bubbling, and engine size is nice to be bigger but just means I'm going eat more gas then ever.

Maybe I can talk down truck 1 but mentioning truck 2?
Mentioning truck two to the seller of truck one is a pretty good idea. make sure you tell him that you can get a 4wd w/ bigger engine (which generally cost more) for cheaper and he might be willing to go down a bit. Have you checked blue book value for both trucks? In all reality I don't think the 2wd will get that much better mileage than the 4wd. Both engines are pretty thursty so if its the gas mileage that is drawing you to truck one I think the money you will save by buying truck two will make up the difference if the seller of truck one isn't willing to go down on the price tag. Hopefully that all came out the way I wanted it to.

#13 ·
what part of jersey are you from, up in the very north part of jersey, we had quite a bit of snow this year. not sure which is the better truck. 4.7 engines can last seemingly for ever if properly taken care of, they are prone to sludge build up so you will need to check that out. see if it has a maintenance log including oil change intervals. also some 4.7 had head issues, don't know what years though. we have an 04 4.7 in our grand cherokee, 130000 miles on it and runs great. to bad the 5.9 your looking at isn't the cummins diesel, best engine ever made in my humble opinion. no personal experience with the 5.9 gassers, according to a few guys in the neighborhood, thy seem to last for ever, one has 180000 plus miles and still drives 100 miles roundtrip to work everyday and has no plans on getting rid of it. he does have a rust issue. he is also on his third trans. good luck on your decision

#17 ·
I agree with your decision on truck 1. Don't shoot yourself in the foot on the bargaining. There could be another interested as you are. He wants at least $8500.00 and you're sticking to $8200.00. That's not a very big margin. He may take your offer.

#18 ·
I nabbed a 71000 mile 4x4 4.7 for $7000. That being said, its all in what the seller is willing to go to and the market. If he can get other buyers like that don't drop too low. Based off of my experience even $8500 is an ok deal so keep at it.

#22 ·
He sold the other set :/ ....hopefully he'll go with the $8,200 plus 30 pack deal lol.

I have been looking for other rims for winter, found a set of 20" stock chrome rims for $175, what size tire though you guys recommend to put on it for winter time? Summer I'll keep 22's on

#26 ·
I would say the trade in value if the truck is very clean could be $8,000, so a private sale of $8500 is probably a decent price IF it is clean.

#28 ·
id go with truck #2 im not too far away from you in DE n the 4X4 really came in handy last winter, kinda seems like winters are going to be getting worse around here. my brother has the 5.9L in his 01 sport and it isnt that bad on fuel as long as you keep your foot out of it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.