DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Has anyone actually measured any of the CAIs

2K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  chefred112 
#1 ·
available ie hook up an OBD2 tool and log the MAF/air sensor for actual flow?

I'm piddling around on mine some and I can't see that there is much to gain by any of the CAIs I've read on for the 2010s. The stock airbox has a pretty nice plenum and likely provides pretty good flow, inlet is as large as if not larger from post-filter side, and the stocker tube has flex turns which actually draw the air closer to the sidewalls vs a smooth bend/tube that has the static airflow to overcome... I'm just curious who is actually measuring improvements. The stock paper filter is even a high flow design like an Audi or Mercedes performance one. I'd argue the factory setup is pretty good as-is so far.

I've built some Audis that have had ~500chp on 100oct(twin turbos) and stayed with a stock style airbox on most of them for the better heat protection and they flowed just as good if not better than some of the wet filter/CAI setups.

This would be super easy to test/prove btw. Thx for any feedback.

#2 ·
Google GIFO 1, GIFO 2, GIFO3, and GIFO4 for all kinds of information that backs up exactly what you are saying. (No significant gain with just a CAI)

The OEM set up on the 4th gen models is true cold air, and performs quite well for everyday use.

Now, if you live 24/7 on the track at 4,000+ rpm, you might see a few more horses with an aftermarket CAI,,, might.

#3 ·
Thanks for the confirmation...

Not trying to pick fights with the CAI folks but if I'm missing an easy 10chp I'll certainly try it lol.

I'm actually pleased Dodge is using this reinforced paper element from the factory, they flow well and last a pretty long time. I'm also pleased at the intake(filter box) in general, not real happy about the right angle throttle body-to-mani setup but... well designed truck so far.

#4 ·
I'm with you guys, so I tested by building a HAI (hot air) with a K&N w/ Outerwear I had laying around and a piece of 3" pvc and 90 degree rubber elbow. I didn't notice much gain in feel/seat of the pants/tire smoke, but I did notice a consistant 1 mpg gain! FYI

Attachments

#6 ·
Heh good job. I'm afraid I'm going to be chasing

the mileage fairy on this one like my 6.7 Cummins. I'll put some mileage on it and drive it normally after the first tank but so far I'm getting a ~13mpg mixed avg which isn't too exciting in itself. I am doing some break-in stuff though and have my foot in it a lot. I'll settle down next week... or this may get worse once I get the Magnaflow setup on it Monday lol.

#7 ·
hpc3, I'm sure I drove mine hard the first 2-3 tanks too (avg. 13.5mpg), esp. since I traded in my SRT8 Jeep for it. I definitely get the extra 1mpg w/ the intake, and have since then backed off the right foot some and now avg. 15.8mpg. I drive the same 22mi route 5 days/wk, of which 17mi is straight highway. I do 75mph for 8mi. of it, and 70mph the other 9mi of hwy.

How many miles do you have on your 6.7? My dad has an 07 with 17k mi and it hasn't changed much, but it is a horse. Do you have a programmer or intake yet? If so, did it help mpg?

#8 · (Edited)
I sold my 6.7 and bought this one... would have kept it

if I could have but I bought it to tow heavy with a 5th wheel toy hauler and the trailer side never materialized, decided against putting all the money into a setup we'd use maybe 4 times/year. I have a neighbor that delivered cars with a 3500 Dually and his was averaging ~22mpg on the hwy, completely stock which is decent I think. He told me "don't worry it will loosen up at 70K mi" and I think I've driven one car that long lol. I sold mine after 18mos and it had 10,700mi on it. It was pretty much new but wasn't cutting it as a family vehicle. Towed great though...

#9 ·
I know I do not have a 2010 Ram but I did notice gains with a CAI installed on my 07. I guess the new Ram has a better intake which is great! I guess you guy can save a little money and not worry too much about that mod haha

#11 ·
...I know cai's aren't suppose to make a significant difference...but depending on mods it can be a great compliment for performance.. I needed all this for my cam to really wake up...

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.