DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 3RD Generation Dodge Ram 2002 to 2008 Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > 5.7L V8 Specific Topics

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 02-27-2014, 07:31 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2007 Dodge 1500 Hemi
Color: Electric Blue
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:10
YukonRam is on a distinguished road
Default Transmission issue ?? Help

So I'm new to this from Yukon, Canada. Have me 2007 Dodge Ram 1500 and she's producing and awful squeaking sound from the tranny area. The fluid level is fine and no leaks are present. The sound started like 2 weeks ago. It damn near sounds like the belt is goin but it's def from the tranny. Can't seem to guess what piece inside might need be services or replaced ? Before spending the money on hours to remove a tranny and replace or service a certain piece, I want to insure I do so with the right piece. The sound sounds like a rotating squeak. Very seldomly it goes away but quite often it keeps steady. Especially right once I first fire up the engine. I can even leave it in park on idle and the irritating screechy sound will gradually get louder and constant. And because I have big tires I can hardly hear it as I drive down the highway or road but I can indeed catch the sound from inside the cab sometimes. Anyone have a trouble shoot or is experienced with such an issue ???
Sponsored links
Old 02-28-2014, 08:04 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: N/A
Rep:350
TransEngineer is just really niceTransEngineer is just really niceTransEngineer is just really niceTransEngineer is just really nice

Hmmmm.. that is an unusual problem. If it happens in Park, then it can't be the trans geartrain (because it isn't spinning unless the truck is moving). If you put it in Drive (at a stop), does the noise go away? If not, then that also rules out the trans input clutch assy, input shaft, and turbine (in the torque converter). That would leave only the torque converter / flexplate and the trans pump. Does the noise change significantly between Park (or Neutral) and in gear (Drive or Reverse, at a stop)? If not, then that reduces the likelihood it is internal within the converter.

I would wonder whether something in the flexplate / converter area is rubbing against the engine or the pump cover in the trans. Maybe one of the converter bolts has backed out and is hitting something as it spins? If you turn the engine over by hand slowly, can you hear any scraping noise coming from the trans bellhousing area?
Old 02-28-2014, 11:50 AM
God Bless Texas!

Vehicle: 2005 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Lonestar QC
Color: White
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:2929
RogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond repute

Howdy Wilfred, and welcome to what's affectionately known as "The Z". There's a lot of great knowledge, ideas and info available here on the Z. Don't hesitate to ask a question, share your knowledge and opinions, or boast about your beast.

Sounds like TransEngineer is helping you out.