DODGE RAM FORUM banner

2" Rear w/ Air Bags

2K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Hornet 
#1 ·
I'm looking to level my truck, with just a 2" rear drop. With that in mind, I would also want to add bags to the rear to help when it comes time for hauling or towing.

I've been looking at the McGaughy's 2" Rear Leveling Coil Springs (p/n 44055).

For the air bags, this is where I'm getting a little confused.

The kit for a stock 1500, is the Air Lift 60818. But then I've read for a lowered application, the 60824 (Durango kit) is needed. But everything I've read regarding that is from poeple with a 2/4 drop or lower.

So with just a 2" rear drop, can I still use the 60818 Ram bags without it raising the vehicle back up again?

#5 ·
Once you get the springs you want installed, give AirLift a call. They'll tell you what measurements they need to make sure they get you the right bags. You want the PanHard bar level with the rear axle for the best results and to center the rear under the truck. There was a post on here somewhere, where the guy drilled a new mounting hole in the frame bracket to achives this. I don't know if that's a correct way to do it, but he reported no ill effects.

#6 ·
I guess I'll update. I installed the 2" rear drop kit about a month ago, using RAM bags. It all worked fine.

I then just installed the ground force 2/3 kit last weekend, and used the RAM bags again.

I am also considering getting 4" drop springs for the rear, to level it out again. So I'll just look into McGaughys panhard bar relocation kit if I do.

#7 ·
There was a post on here somewhere, where the guy drilled a new mounting hole in the frame bracket to achives this. I don't know if that's a correct way to do it, but he reported no ill effects.[/QUOTE]

I re-drilled both mounting points Q.
Ram has engineered the brackets to be more then capable,why re-engineer what they've already spent millions on.
Utilizing the factory brackets is a no brainer in my opinion.
In fact drilling the holes higher in the frame mount,and lower in the diff mount,increases the brackets strength,as you've shortened the leverage applied to the bracket.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.