DODGE RAM FORUM banner

McGauphy's 2/4, but i want lower. 1? & Sug

860 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Hemi HFE 
#1 ·
I have the 2 inch lowering knuckles up front and was wondering if I put 2 inch lowering springs on up front if it would lower 2 more inches?

Also do you have any more suggestion on lowering it further?

Kinda new to all of this but coming quickly addicted!

2012 ram single cab 5.7 2x4

#2 ·
You can drop the truck 2" more with no issues, well, aside from the bad rear suspension geometry and need to change several things. Firstly, you need to trim coils of the McG's springs to get any lower, a full coil = 1". You can get away with just having the adjustable rear Spohn control arms and panhard bar coupled with a set of BT Nitro drop 2 shocks or if you want to spend the money a set of adjustable shocks. I'd get a hellwig bar as well. The front will need the springs, bumpstop removal, a bumpsteer kit (if you care about bumpsteer), and shorter front sway bar endlinks. You'll also want to look at a set of upper control arms with a uniball joint, if you can get adjustable UCAs you'll be able to dial everything in perfectly again.

#3 ·
yes it will lower another (approx) 2"

you shouldn't need any other aftermarket bits with just a (nother) 2" up front,
since the first 2" really didnt count since yu used spindles

WARNING front springs get more 'drop per coil' than rears;
just 1/3 coil from my McG 2" drop springs got another 1.25" drop ...

(well the 2" springs only gave me 1" to begin with.. see my thread)
http://ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=180896

#4 ·
I'm thinking I might buy some 2inch lowering springs for the front which would drop me around 4 inches and cutting the back springs. I have the 4 inch drop in the back now due to springs by mcgaughy's. This is my question now.... should I cut my Mcgaughy springs in the back or cut my stock springs and put them in the back to save my Mcgaughys springs?
I'm also wondering if there is a difference in cutting my stock springs to cutting my Mcgaughy springs when it comes to ride quality, handling, etc?
How long does it normally take a tech to change the back springs if he has a lift? I'm wondering how much of a pain in the ass it will be for my tech...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.