DODGE RAM FORUM banner

transfer case blown, seized looked or empty tranfer case

3K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  95dodgeV10 
#1 ·

ok this is my 97 dodge ram 1500 it has a 5.9l 360 my transfer case seems to have either blown or froze up i was out hillclimbing and when i was done my transfer case was bone dry and the front diff fluid was boiling out the gasget and now it wont kick into four wheel i have on the fly when i pull it in to fourwheel it clicks like it went in but doesnt run the front tires but if it i run it in four low it runs the engine like its supposed to low rpms so any ideas and thoughts to try to make it start working again and does the four wheel stop working when the fluid level has gone down

See less See more
#3 ·
sounds like the problem is the front end not the x-fer case since it is doing what its supposed to do.

#4 ·
not sure if its your transfer case or front end but if the fluid was boiling out of the gasket it would be good insurance to at-least pop the cover off and inspect the ring and pinion for scarring, there's a chance the bearings suffered too. what you could try if you havnt already is shift into 4x4 and try spinning the front drive shaft. if it spins then the tcase is probably crapped out, if it doesn't spin free then id suspect front axle, possibly something to do with the axle shifter (the vacuum module on the passenger side of the axle) there are some parts in there that iv heard of being weak links in hill climbing

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.