DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Hey guys, should I buy this ram?!!!

2K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  CDRODGERS1 
G
#1 ·
Hey guys,
Last week I noticed that black dodge ram 1500 sport 4x4 had been sitting by the curb for a long time. I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask, so I rung thier doorbell and asked them if it was for sale. He said it probably would be in the near future. It is ~1999, 65k, has some typical paint peeling on hood and roof, has a lot of rattles when it drives and it also needs new front and rear bumpers. The man said that it used to belong to his son, and he drove the hell out of it, but it still runs and drives.
I am looking for a good first car that will not give me much trouble with reliability. Would this be a good project to take up? About how much is it worth?
Thanks
CDRODGERS1

#2 ·
Hello and welcome aboard the ForumZ. All I can think to recommend is to take it to a service shop and have them do a full inspection on it, so that you know EXACTLY what you are getting into. Secondly I would check the value on KBB or NADA and offer them the difference of the potential repairs of the vehicle and the listed cost, and then some more off. Just my .02 cents! Best of luck and keep us posted.

#4 ·
I will look around and see if I can get some more ideas. Have you gotten to drive it yet? Are you sensing a tune up or throttle body cleaning? I am just trying to think of all the things it may need and I believe that will play a big role in your offering price.

G
#5 ·
No, I haven't been able to drive it yet, he is going to call me after he decides what to do. It will definately need a tune up, and possibly some suspension/frame work, but I am more worried about the drive train. Would 30k of hard use do significant damage to the trans or motor? I have heard of people who have had problems with the transmissions, do they go bad often in the 94-01 gen?

#8 ·
1. Take it to a paid mechanic to have it evaluated. If the seller says no or to use his mechanic, run away.

2. Check http://www.kbb.com to find out the vehicle's value.

3. If you cannot do mechanic work yourself, be sure you have the money to pay someone to fix things.

4. Do NOT carry liability only insurance or even state minimums. Just tossing this in here because you said it was your first vehicle.

#9 ·
Go with what RB has posted there, especially the insurance.

If the trannys are taken care they can last, if they are beaten the can crap out. I would take it and have it looked at. If you can get it at a decent price then in may be worth fixing some things. It has pretty low mileage for the year. I would need to see some photos of the truck to really give a price, but KBB would help you too.

#10 ·
I agree with RB as well, but good luck, hope it works out for ya'!

- Cajun

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.