DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Hydroplaning

9K views 38 replies 15 participants last post by  romeodj 
#1 ·
First drive in heavy rain in the Ram and I was surprised to hydroplane. There was some water on the road but not flooded at all. I have no experience driving 4 wheel drive other than with the Ford Escape which was 4 wheel drive
but did the switching on it's own whenever it felt the need.
When should I use the 4 wheel
drive? How can I avoid or prevent hydroplaning?

#22 ·
I would imagine it difficult for you to hydroplane in that beast of yours!

What 20 inch tires would any of you recommend? (4 season only ) for 4X4 on road only.
Looking for smooth, quiet ride, better in rain and snow.
My '03 Ram 1500 Hemi originally came with Michelin LTX tires, then I switched to BFG All Terrain T/As and they're fantastic. A little bit on the loud side, but the Hemi was always louder than the tires. Same goes with my '08 Ram 3500 Cummins. It came with some piece of crap tires, can't remember the make but I had them switch over to the BFGs at my first oil change.

#7 ·
i hydroplaned so many times, part of the reason is because the truck is so light in the back, throw some stuff in there to way it down and keep a full tank of gas

#8 ·
I would say the main problem is the tires! even having new tread an all the wrangler HP that come on the truck from factory suck, that is if you have the 20's!! I would say at any point when things alone try to get rid of those tires! I would never put them back on either! i hear of so many complaints of the., and of balancing issues and blowing belts! :smiledown:

#9 ·
I do have the 20's but I'll keep them. Not about to get rid of brand new tires. I'll wear them down and then get more decent ones.
I used to keep bags of dirt or salt in my old Ranger to keep it heavier in the winter ( it wasn't 4 wheel drive) but I didn't think I'd have to do that in the summer for the rain. I'll just - S L O W D O W N -

#11 ·
How to avoid hydroplaning:

Don't drive with bald or badly worn tires.
Ensure your tires are properly inflated.
Check tire pressure and slow down when rainfall is heavy or storm water is standing on the road.
Don't use cruise control on wet roads

#12 ·
Friend's don't let friends keep their Goodyears.

My 2004 Ram completely sucked in the rain. Once those tires got down to about 1/4 tread, there was no taking curves anywhere close to the posted speed limit. Definitely had to slow waaaaayyyyyy down in the wet stuff. Imagine the surprise in other people's eyes when that big silver quad cab would keep going straight after I turned the wheel.

And people say it's harder to leave skid marks in the rain . . .

#14 ·
Friend's don't let friends keep their Goodyears.

My 2004 Ram completely sucked in the rain. Once those tires got down to about 1/4 tread, there was no taking curves anywhere close to the posted speed limit. Definitely had to slow waaaaayyyyyy down in the wet stuff. Imagine the surprise in other people's eyes when that big silver quad cab would keep going straight after I turned the wheel.

And people say it's harder to leave skid marks in the rain . . .
Grossly hilarious!

#13 ·
I thought it was the tires as well.
I had Continentals on the Escape and these things where ok other than they cupped and where loud as heck. The darn things lasted forever!!! 105 000 km before I changed them and they still had tread on them. I hope (who ever hoped for that kinda thing?) the ones on the Ram wear down faster so that I can buy better ones ($$$ )

#15 ·
I beleive the good years will last you to about 60000km, you should check with your local tire dealer and see if they would take em in on trade in though, maybe get you a pretty nice discount on a new set of rubber!

#16 ·
hummmmm
thats sounds interesting!
I'll look into that for sure!
thanks for the tip. :smileup:

What 20 inch tires would any of you recommend? (4 season only ) for 4X4 on road only.
Looking for smooth, quiet ride, better in rain and snow.

#17 ·
These Wrangler HPs are definitely the source of your woes. I also found hydroplaning with the stock tires to be a problem. They're just awful.

I'll be replacing them before winter comes, I have no confidence in this rubber, lol. A truck tire I've had good experience with in the past is Goodyear Wrangler SilentArmor. Not as good in the ice as pure winter rubber, but they're decent, and they have excellent hydroplaning resistance and wearing characteristics. Also extremely comfortable for an A/T tire.

G
#18 ·
4WD won't help with hydroplaning. That condition is best described, with respects to a wheeled vehicle, as: When the rate of speed, giving consideration to the width of the tire and weight of the vehicle; causes the vehicle to lose contact with the road surface, with water now between the wheel and road surface.

The solution? Slow down...

#20 ·
#23 ·
I got the Goodyears off my 2010 before they had a chance to hydroplane on me. The dealer bought them from me and i put on a set of Michelin LTX M/S2 tires that are rated high against hydroplaning. There avalable if you want them with about 900 miles on them. They can add exciment to your rain driving.

#24 ·
You didn't have cruise control on did you?

#25 ·
seeing as how were going into summer at this point i would take everyones tips and drive slower!! going into winter i would deffinitely be looking into new tires!
Silent Armour-Work at a good year dealer everyday i deal with them, heard awesome reviews, they are not loud at all
BFG AT's- Had these on my little blazer, they were great in the snow and on the wet not so well on ice!!
Michelin LTX-i haven't personally used them, but my dad and a guy at work both swear by them on trucks as they provide great all season traction, are not loud and they seem to be the best built tires, taking the least amount of wieght to balance!

Also going into winter look at tire sales, here in BC Fountain Tire, u should have those in ontario?? has the 4 tires for the price of 3, great deal if you could get credit for your tires u might walk out of there paying half of what u would for new tires now!! so look around, summer is the best time to shop cuz u don't need them right away!!

#26 ·
I didn't know you could get money for used tires at tire stores or dealership.
I sent my sellsman an email about this, see what comes up. If nothing, ill look around.
No, the cruise wasn't on. I was driving at about 80km/hr which is 50 m/hr and I've never experienced hydroplanning this bad before. I didn't loose total control but I sure didn't like the feeling.

#28 ·
Going into the summer i think you will be fine! spend more time on the dry pavement!! but coming early october i would really start looking around, being back east you guys get alot of snow right??

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.