DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Driver seat durability

3K views 23 replies 21 participants last post by  dig 
#1 ·
Is there anything that can be done to revent the driver seat from wear and tear on the side where you get in and out?

My 13 is already showing wear from getting in and out on the cloth seats. I am 6'5" so getting in is pretty level for me so I did not think this would happen. I have seen numerous pictures of Rams with this issue.

I do wish I got leather now and thinking of doing some aftermarket leather but price is really high and it would not help the break down in the cushion in that area.

Also have thought about lowering the truck with a 2/4 drop but I know it will stiffin up the ride some and really do not want that either. Could do the 2" rear drop only but do not think that will drop the seat very much.

I traded my 1999 Dakota on the 13 Ram and it was not near as high even with the 31 X 10.50 tires but the interior and seats looked brand new with 128000 miles.

Anyway to lower the seats with manual controls?

Any other suggestions that I have not thought of?

Thanks,

Greg

See less See more
#2 ·
You can revent the driver's seat from wear and tear by only using the passenger seat. However, that may be inconvenient. The next best way is to purchase a decent quality full seat cover. All the discount online stores sell covers and they are not expensive considering the savings in seat repair cost.

I have used seat covers for the past 30 years and swear by them. Besides wear, they protect against soiling, perspiration and bird poop.

#3 ·
I am very picky about this as well. In fact, when people get out of my vehicle I tell them to make sure they resist the urge to slide off the side of the seat. They usually don't understand and think it's ridiculous, and I usually don't care. Haha.

What helped me was the addition of step bars on my truck. Everyday I step up on the bar, pull myself up with the handle, and then lower myself onto the seat without getting on the side. I do the same in reverse for exiting. It sounds a little crazy, but no wear on the seat after 16 months of ownership.

#12 ·
seat wear

Having owned 28 different vehicles over the course of my lifetime (both new and used), and driven far over a million miles, I can safely say that fabric seats are the most durable of all in my experience. Both leather and vinyl will split and crack over time. Fabric just needs a little cleaning once in a while. Sunshades help as does regular vacuuming. Like many of you, I do not "scoot" across, but rather sit down squarely in the middle of the seat. On my '11 Ram (with fabric), I use one of those cushioning seat pads and cannot detect any wear so far. Ever heard that old term,.."the cheap seats" ? Well, they are the best.

#15 ·
I seem to get a weird crease type lump forming on left side drivers seat from getting in and out. It happened on both of my last two trucks, one a dodge the other Chevy. It's starting on my 2012 with 8000 miles. I guess I should put a little more effort getting in and out huh?

#19 ·
Side steps or nerf bars can go along way in cutting the wear down. You just step up on the bar and fall into your seat and when getting out pull yourself up out of the seat with the A pillar grab handle. I have the premium cloth seats and they are 5 years old, no wear and tear.

#20 ·
I do slide a little because I'm only 5'9'' even though I have side steps, but I do try to avoid it by pulling myself up with the handle. My cloth seats are holding up well over almost 6 months, but I still plan on getting seat covers soon.

As a side note, when I test drove the new chevy at the state fair I reached up to pull myself in like I do with my Ram and almost fell on my ass since it doesn't have one.

I agree that cloth is best, your seats don't burn you in the summer or freeze you in the winter (heated seats take a while to warm up), and they don't get that plasticky feel after several years like leather seats do.

#21 ·
My 2012's side bolster is breaking down and I only weight about 170 and am 6'. Unfortunately (or fortunately however you want to look at it) one of the seams on the inside of the seat (towards the console) has started splitting and RAM is replacing the cover and cushion under warranty.

:4-dontknow:

#22 ·
My 2012's side bolster is breaking down and I only weight about 170 and am 6'. Unfortunately (or fortunately however you want to look at it) one of the seams on the inside of the seat (towards the console) has started splitting and RAM is replacing the cover and cushion under warranty.

:4-dontknow:
I have noticed this in my truck as well. Granted mine is an '08 bought new but aside from the cushion being pretty much flat from getting in and out looks like a set of seat covers is in my future next week as well to keep this from getting any worse even though I have gotten way more careful on how I get in/out and the A pillar handle helps.

- Cajun

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.