DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Should I put 5% or 20% over factory tint?

4K views 8 replies 9 participants last post by  bowieknife 
#1 ·
Hey everyone,

I just got an 07 Ram 1500 quad cab, and it needs tint BAD. The front 2 windows and back glass are completely clear and I hate it. I'm wanting to do 5% all around, but the back 2 windows have the factory tint.

Would putting 20% over the factory tint bring it down to about 5%? Or should I just do 5% over it? I put 5% over factory on my old Ram and it was almost completely opaque.

Also, I do know about all the state laws pertaining to tint.

Thanks for your answers!

#3 · (Edited)
#4 ·
Last year I received an $85. ticket for my windows being 'too tinted.' The cops are equipped in their fuzzmobiles with an optical device that measures transmitted light through the window. Be aware if tinting your glass.
ya and that device is a P.O.S. the cop slid it over my window and it read 6%. what a dumbass. AND it was a faded part of the tint.

Ive have 3 tickets since i started driving for tint. probably 5 or 6 total for my family. We still tint every single vehicle. To us it worth $60-70 ticket once a year

#7 ·
Check with your tint guy - IF he's any count he will know what mixture is needed to match. I think mine is 35% over the factory tint and 18% for the front sides, and 5% for the Front Strip or Brow.

Most people think you only have a choice of 5, 20, and 35% but that is not the case, those are just standards and the most stocked.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.