DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Steering wheel clicks

5K views 13 replies 5 participants last post by  s1000rrhp 
#1 ·
New addition to the problem of my Shitty 2013 ram the steering wheel has a clicking noise when turning.

#4 · (Edited)
The clicking your hearing is possibly the clock spring, this is what connects your air bag to your vehicle, some also do other things like horn and buttons on the wheel, usually when you turn your steering if it does a click, click click like every 1/2" - 1" movement. I went to the dealer, they said Clock spring, 1 1/2 hours to pull steering apart at dealer to replace it. if you drive straight and you move your steering left and right just to follow the road, you will hear it, click click for every movement, this could be the clock spring. It could be grabbing somewhere withing the unit itself, or actually broke or the rotation ring is grabbing. One thing to try, is to (as your moving forward so not to stress all your steering components) pull a couple of "U" turns, left and right by turning the steering completely in both directions, if the clock spring catching somewhere it may settle back in a position where it does not click anymore. This happened to me, and that fixed it. It could be something else but this is what occurred in mine.

just to give you an idea

#8 ·
Thank you I bet it's this clock spring. It's clicks about every quarter inch each direction. ANNOYING. I will try that u turn thing. It's hard to believe a truck with 10000k has this problem already.
Oh. Ps I clay bared the tailgate and rear bumper seemed to take off the rail dust. Just hope it actually took it off. Have you heard of iron x by carpro apparently this product is great for this.

#5 ·
Now if only there was clear cut answers like this write-up, awesome find through trial and error!

Reactions: Asur
#6 ·
Oh by the way if the click you hear is pretty strong it could be contact between the cancel cam in the SCM as it passes by the release lever for the turn signal module. Here is a way to test it.

1. Start the vehicle engine. Turn off the radio and HVAC system.
2. Center the steering wheel. Verify that the turn signal lever is in the neutral/cancelled
position.
3. Slowly rotate the steering wheel at least 180 degrees to the left.
4. Slowly recenter the steering wheel.
5. Slowly rotate the steering wheel at least 180 degrees to the right.
6. Slowly recenter the steering wheel.
7. If a click-like sound was heard while performing the above steps, then lightly place
your hand on the turn signal stalk/arm when the arm is in its neutral/cancelled position.
Repeat the above steps.
8. If contact can be felt in the turn signal stalk/arm at the same time as a click-like sound
occurs, then its your Signal Cancel Cam

#9 ·
I have a a good reason to complain about a truck that was released a year prior to it's capabilities. If anything can go wrong with this stupid truck It's happened to me. So I am sorry if it seems I am complaining how ever I am a little frustrated with ram. This is my 4th ram and by far the worst.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.