DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Grrrr Help

1K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  T48 
#1 ·
So 4 months into truck now... Washed it the other day and it's covered in rail dust anyone know how to get this off.

#4 ·
clay bar, wet sand, & good coat of wax
get rid of the dirt
get rid of some of the orange peel paint look, especially on the doors & tailgate
get a car show shine

#7 ·
cars and trucks are so covered when shipped by train its rare they see rail dust, that's an old timers tail when cars where shipped on train cars uncovered and unprotected, now they are either boxed or have paint plastic film all over them, what your probably seeing is metallic crap from breaks and street crap like steel filings from street grates used in the winter, these get lifted off the road from the vehicle your following and imbed themselves in your paint, due to the light color of your paint your seeing it easily, all cars get this which is why a claying is one of the best things to do after the winter. since its rare for a wax to last more than 4 - 6 months, great time in the spring to clay and wax your truck.

#9 ·
I have seen how they move rams on trains, my father in law works for CN, he takes care of the transportation of heavy loads and vehicles, they are wrapped, I think your dealer is pulling your leg, but hey, if they are going to freely wash your truck, why not, I hope they will wax your truck also after the acid wash LOL. A safer alternative is to clay your truck,

#11 · (Edited)
maybe by the time they reach Calgary they unwrap them or pull them out of the boxes. Anyways, JMO. Next spring, check your truck, same thing.

you can read up about it here if you wish

http://www.cn.ca/en/our-business/transportation-services/rail/equipment

they used to ship them in open unit but that's how they damaged the cars, due to these issue, they now ship them in Auto Carriers, enclosed and protected. Then they are piled into truck auto carriers and dropped off at the local dealers.

if you look at the video you will see them Auto carriers being pulled:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFe9dpip-DA

#12 ·
I do auto transport & none of the Rams that came in around St. Louis, MO were wrapped.

Audi, VW, Fiats are generally wrapped or have some sort of cover on some parts.
Ford has some Saran Wrap on their wheels at the rail yard that usually separates & beats on the wheels on the way to the dealership. Have learned to pull that crap off as it hurts more than it helps.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.