DODGE RAM FORUM banner

2013 ram headlight condensation problem

42K views 111 replies 44 participants last post by  banditalex 
#1 ·
Only reason i am starting a new thread on this is because i feel it should be noticed as I called Chrysler and they talked to engineer and they said THIS IS NORMAL FOR THE 2013's In normal temperature should go away in 20min but may not when colder........ I THINK THIS IS CRAP.... :4-dontknow:
O and with HID's It takes longer to go away :smileup: if at all

#47 ·
Which dealership are you dealing with? There are 2 in Calgary that have horrible service, but have great sales people.

You can pull the head light and throw it in your oven with the rear cover and bulbs removed. This would get rid of the condensation, and I'd go that ay first. If you want, once the condensation is gone, you can get some silica packets and put them in the bottom of the assembly to try to keep them dry.

If you decide to bake the headlights open, then it's 250-270F for 17 minutes, I found that the '13s take a bit more to get them open compared to past years. I personally use silicone to seal mine, but butyl rope is the better way to do it.

#48 ·
I am dealing with Airdrie Dodge... They have great service and are only doing what chrysler is telling them... so i can't blame the dealer.. There is a pile of condensation on them now so they took pictures today and we will see what happens. Just looking for options if they don't get replaced. Of course the right thing for chrysler to do here would be to replace them, yes they are an open concept design and do hold some condensation but now i have it so bad water runs down the side. Anyways. do you know anyone in calgary that does retro lights.. And if you know how to do this would you lend a guy some help... :)

#49 ·
google retroshop you will see what I am talking about for retrofit projector headlamps

Many here at the site have them, or theres converted or modified by them.

There is a ton of information on the internet to help you with this, and places that have retrofit projector headlamps, take your time with anything and get informed, you will find lots of crap out there, and some really great stuff, talk to others here about how they did there's, or there experience with this type of situation.

But if you ask me what I would do to get the condensation out.

I would remove my headlamps and protect my light bulbs with something, or wrap them up so they don't get any crap on them. I would bring my headlamps in the house and let them get to room temperature, then heat them up with a blow dryer till no more condensation is seen, let them get back to room temperature and check them again, this should be ample to get condensation out of there, you could use your stove, but that's up to you, I don't want you to screw up your headlamps cause you did something your not used to doing. At least with a hair dryer you not going to melt them, just heat them up so its hotter inside the lamp enough to get rid of the condensation. Once they come back down to room temperature, check them to see how they look, repeat if necessary, if it all looks good, and they are at room temp, I would put them outside and let them get back to the outside temperature, see if there is condensation that returns, if not, I would put them back on the truck and see what happens, if the condensation returns again, here is where i would do a bit more research, those holes in the back of the headlamp assembly are there for a reason, they are breather holes, I would dig a bit and see if I can find more information on what to do or how to keep the moisture out. Again this is just my opinion, others may say something else, anyways that's what I would do to start off with.

#50 ·
Wow, I'm surprised to hear that Airdrie's doing this, they're one of the best for service in the area. Hopefully they can work something out for you.

There's nobody that does retros in Calgary, or even Canada that I know of, but I would definitely be willing to help you out if you wanted to do some custom work to them. I've baked 4 pairs of lights now, and I am the one doing the set of green '13s for my '09.

#51 ·
Wow, I'm surprised to hear that Airdrie's doing this, they're one of the best for service in the area. Hopefully they can work something out for you.

There's nobody that does retros in Calgary, or even Canada that I know of, but I would definitely be willing to help you out if you wanted to do some custom work to them. I've baked 4 pairs of lights now, and I am the one doing the set of green '13s for my '09.
Thank you so much i may be in touch... see what happens..

#54 ·
Your dealerships service department should be getting 2 dozen donuts, as a show of thanks.
It will also be appreciated by them & you will be remembered & that always helps

#55 ·
I have seen a few trucks with the condensation in them.... mine just got worse and worse and worse and son on :) ... dealership and i get alone good... was just chrysler slowing things down.. not very happy about them trying to get out of this. There is a memo stati

#58 ·
I'm pretty open to anything NOT full price for those assemblies. When you talk to your service writer, have them tell Dave or Dan in Parts that Kurtis would be willing to buy the driverside assembly if they don't have to ship it back to Chrysler, but since the dealership is replacing it without Chrysler's say-so they might be willing to try to recoup some of the cost.

#59 ·
I work at a Dodge dealership and also just purchased a 2013 ram sport. I did get one set of headlights changed out. But yes, Chrysler is saying this is 'normal' as long as the condensation clears up within an hour of being in the shop. It really pisses me off because it looks like shit! None of their other headlights get condensation in them, so why are these deemed 'normal'? No idea. I will continue fighting my battle with them as we'll

#61 ·
Have them put some silica packets inside and see what they do. Personally, I plan to seal the entire assembly with a hydro-phobic vapor barrier over one hole I will drill in the top of the assembly. This will allow moisture to travel in one direction only, while not a solution for everyone since I get the barriers for free through work.

#62 ·
well got new headlights.... see what happens with these.. they took old ones. I feel a little sheepish but the one new one was scuffed up perty bad so i asked if they could order new one.. they will see what they can do. but what ever they will scatch up adventually anyways.

#69 ·
I think if you place the order for the truck with it installed its not a problem, but have been hearing that if you don't order it with it on, and you want to add it later, there are issues with the trucks harness, but you can always install the DB-ALL, coast less than the OEM unit, its plugs in about 5min and uses your FOB to start and shutdown your truck. Nice product

#70 ·
Im in a climate where it gets to -50 or colder at some nights. Im ordering my ram from a dealer that's about 600 or more kms away. Im sure he told me it was a remote start and block heater on the truck. It has everything else so I cannot see why it wouldn't but after seeing this im not 100%anymore. If it doesn't come with a remote start then f dat, I don't want anything to do with it really lol. Thing is I have my downpayment made and the truck is ready to be shipped to me its just im waiting for the papers to be signed so I guess I don't actually have it bought yet.

#71 ·
If you ordered it with it, it will be installed, no issues, its only after the fact that it can be and actually its not, the DB-ALL will install on the truck and you get Remote start, I have it on my truck. But I would make a call and just make sure that they ordered the truck with a factory installed Remote start, I don't think you will have any problems. :smileup:

#72 ·
There not open today but thank god all there other upper model sport trucks on the website have remote starters. I thought I just wasted the last two weeks with a truck that's no good to me. I do have faith that it has it. As for this problem with the headlights, is there anything I should say before I receive it. Is there a way to get the dealer to prevent it before it happens??

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.