DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Hydroplaning

9K views 38 replies 15 participants last post by  romeodj 
#1 ·
First drive in heavy rain in the Ram and I was surprised to hydroplane. There was some water on the road but not flooded at all. I have no experience driving 4 wheel drive other than with the Ford Escape which was 4 wheel drive
but did the switching on it's own whenever it felt the need.
When should I use the 4 wheel
drive? How can I avoid or prevent hydroplaning?

#30 ·
Well it will be up to you. I travel at times on express ways and don't have the option of chosing dry weather. As far as slowing down well you'll get run over. If you just drive around town and two lanes then you can adjust your speed. I was coming back from Maryland last summer in my Magnum in heavy rain and went for a slide almost into a concret barrier. Got home in one piece and dumped the tires for a set better in rain. It's up to you but take a look at your parked truck and look at the small patch of tire on the ground thats all the contact you have sticking you to the road.

#31 · (Edited)
I checked with the dealer, they are ready to give me $100.00 a tire. ahah, there's only 2782 km on them. They quoted some Michelin LTX M/S2 for $346.00. so $100 off the price off that with mine. I'm not too keen on letting my tires go for $100.00 a piece. They are brand new.
bugs me, I had just put new tires on the Escape last year and they were great. Back to square one. (not quite, not comparing the RAM to the Escape, just tire to tire)

I'll do my homework and shop around, might look down in Watertown as well see if I can get a good deal.

#32 ·
HOLYY thats pretty good what they are offering you!! ya it may not seem like much but the reasoning there willing to buy them off you is the tires fail so frequently that when someone comes in with a blown belt tire, or even sidewall damage, they will sell them to them for more like $200 a piece and the size is sooooo common!!

Deffinitely check around and see what other deals you can get on them tho! you should be able to find tires for a little cheaper then 346 each

Reactions: Boubou
#37 ·
:smileup:I have a good source here in Belleville. He also credits you for your old tires too.Im not sure exactly what ones you want........He sells Toyos, Hercules and a couple others too!

Reactions: Boubou
#38 ·
:smileup:I have a good source here in Belleville. He also credits you for your old tires too.Im not sure exactly what ones you want........He sells Toyos, Hercules and a couple others too![/QUOTE

Do they sell Michelin?
I'm looking at the Michelin LTX M/S2

I just came back from a drive in the rain, just wet road, rain had stopped. I stepped on it and felt like I was on ice for a minute. Scary shit.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.