DODGE RAM FORUM banner

2013 ram headlight condensation problem

42K views 111 replies 44 participants last post by  banditalex 
#1 ·
Only reason i am starting a new thread on this is because i feel it should be noticed as I called Chrysler and they talked to engineer and they said THIS IS NORMAL FOR THE 2013's In normal temperature should go away in 20min but may not when colder........ I THINK THIS IS CRAP.... :4-dontknow:
O and with HID's It takes longer to go away :smileup: if at all

#85 ·
I thought that I would make an addition to this thread.

I just picked up my new 2014 RAM 1500 SPORT CREW CAB 4X4 6'4" BOX late Tuesday evening. I didn't notice it when i picked it up and I was home all day yesterday (Thanksgiving). However, tonight I noticed condensation in the headlights of my brand new truck. With only 60 miles on the truck, it can't be from any road damage. But; it is cold here, so I have to assume this is still an ongoing issue into the 2014 model year as well.

This is not how I wanted to start out my first impressions of the new truck. The last Chrysler that I bought was in 1978 with a Plymouth Horizon. That left me with such a sour note that it has taken me over 36 years to get over that experience to try a Chrysler again.

I hope that I haven't made another big mistake... <sigh...>

#86 ·
When i put hid in my lights 2 things i noticed was..1) the hid wiring is close to the cap(cover) and if not done correctly actually pushes on the cover and it doesn't make a good seal.So when i did mine i center grommet with the bulb socket.When i made the hole for the grommet i made it as small as possible..Also there are 4 i believe plugs (tan in color)caps make sure there all pushed in over the rubber.lastly when putting the cover on make sure it seals even if not it will leak air..i pulled mine off the cap a little as to push it back in when putting cap on..So far i have not had any issues with my projectors..Hope this helps.

#88 ·
i am going through this now as well also other issues,,, quite afew and there are new ones weekly on my 2014 sport,,,, dodge says that condensation around the parking lights is normal and will go away in 20 minutes of driving,,, in humid wet rainy or after a car wash,, I think its bullshit but that's what they say,,, if its not actual drops of water in front of the headlights they will do nothing,,, don't worry there will be uconnect issues and and dash cluster issues, and do yourself a favour and check your paint and alignment!

#91 ·
I wonder if putting some silica gel packs in the housing would help matters

(yes my '14 too)

#92 ·
tried that originally. I picked up Dri-Z-Air crystals and placed in cheese cloth to make 1" balls. Worked well for a while, but I found I had a crack in one of my seals that was letting water in. I replaced the crystals in the fully sealed light twice and I was still getting condensation. I finally filled every nook and cranny with exterior silicone, baked it all dry and I haven't had an issue since.

I just pulled them to do some more LED work, so hopefully I won't have to go through this all again.

#94 ·
Ok, I may have posted this before, but … when I was looking at one of "Retrofit's" videos at the very end of the video he shows how to adjust the vents on the back of the housings so they "breathe" properly. He's had enough of these apart to be a pretty knowledgeable source. It takes about a minute per side, so it may be worth a shot. Evidently, the vent caps get jammed tight resulting in the fogging of the lenses.

#98 ·
I watched this video when it was posted in the lighting section, it's briefly explained around the 6:40mark, it makes good sense to me, if the light housing has a way of moving air or exchanging air positively it should definitely help by making the vent(s) adjustment. These are instructions from a TSB from Chrysler and it' being endorsed in the video. Very good find by the way :smileup:

#96 ·
I get it in one headlight every once in a while. Happened since new. It's only on humid days so I just put the high beams on and use that to dry it out. Maybe the light has a bad seal. I though about painting them and resealing them and seeing what happens after that. It still happens after the hid install with was done in my apt and I did use a hair dryer to make sure there was no moisture and siliconed around the rubber seal on the hid for a extra measure but the one light still does it.

#97 ·
I have had condensation in my 2013 headlights since day one. I have the sport headlights with the LEDs and projectors. I have asked multiple dealers and they all say it "just does it" and goes away. I live in rainy vancouver, bc and it fogs up after every rain storm and every car wash. Somethings not right here, like a bad seal, but both headlights do it?!!. My friends 2014 SRT8 cherokee also does it. Im afraid after this happening time and time again its going to cause the inside of the headlight to have permanent staining. Im really hoping for a recall. Would love to know if there is more info on this.

#99 ·
Headlight Condensation

My Right lens got to the point where I actually had water running down the inside. Live in South Dakota and it has been coooold.

Took the light out. Hair dryer until all moisture was gone. Silicone the outside, closed the bottom vent. Will see how that goes.

#100 ·
took my ram 2013 ram in for uconnect updates, mentioned the cloudy headlights. their response was "turn headlights on for a few minutes to fix" demanded they inspect my headlights.. got a formal letter indicating they have been Inspected and are in correct working order bla bla, still makes no sense. hey look at the $55,000 truck with foggy a$$ headlights... -5 for Chrysler on that one.

if i wanted cloudy headlights i would have gotten the 45$ ones from ebay lol

#101 ·
#105 ·
I installed HID's on my truck with a friend of mine…didn't have the condensation issue last wintertime at all before until after I installed them. Turns out the seal was compromised as you can see in the pictures…at the time I thought it would be sufficient but I guess not. I removed them today to bring them in my house and get the condensation out (hopefully after sitting inside for a while it goes away). I'm going to put some extra electrical tape around the wire seal and hopefully it won't happen again. Also I followed this guys instructions in the youtube video about the vents(with the orange caps). So hopefully some heat from the engine will keep the lights slightly warmer in the wintertime.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ng5S8WmY6pQ

Hope this helps..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.