DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Front brake upgrades

3K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  TurboCup87 
#1 ·
Has anyone done a front brake upgrade that they're happy with? Looking for better brake performance on this near 3 ton truck, especially while towing. I did one on my previous Nissan Armada and it worked well.

Doing a little research, it appears that Stainless Steel Brakes has options for bigger rotors and calipers. Baer doesnt seem to have anything on their website. Stoptech is also a possibility.

Hope someone has some experience with this needed upgrade. TIA

#3 ·
So far from what I have asked on this similar subject of steel braided brake lines no one has even attempted this. I asked the question several months ago and got minimal replies and even less help on the subject. Personally I am still looking at doing the steel brake lines but I am also looking at a 2500/3500 hydraulic brake booster to increase the pressure even further. With these upgrades even upgrading pads and rotors would seem like child's play. But on the subject of pads and rotors EBC is quite good quality and from what I have heard they do increase stopping power quite well.

#4 ·
I'm interested in bigger rotors and calipers to increase the effective brake torque and therefore brake performance and stopping distances and decreasing brake fade with heavy use. I'm not looking for different than OEM rotors of stock size. Braided hoses are good but don't significantly increase stopping distance unless the previous hoses are going bad.

#10 ·
You have a few options. You can go with an SSBC big brake kit, Brembos, or go REALLY big and pay gobs o' cash for the Rotora kit. Another option that isn't discussed is swapping to the hydroboost system from the diesel trucks.
I brought that subject up with my steel tube and steel braided brake line thread several months ago and never got a straight answer to weather or not it was a simple bolt on or if things needed to be changed. Do you possibly have an answer for that?

#11 ·
I do indeed. After a local member showed me his system on his '03, I fell in love with the sheer amount of working room in the engine bay and decided to start scoping it out for the 4th gens. The best news is, it's almost a bolt in system. You need the booster and master cylinder; The hydro-booster has identical mounting to the vacuum booster but the master cylinder is a different internal diameter, check junk yards for wrecked 4th gen diesels (they're dime a dozen around here because of oilfield use); then you'll need a low pressure brass tee, I still have to determine what size; the hard part is getting a set of hydraulic lines made up, that's the only custom part needed. I'm bypassing the stock hard lines off the booster and just going 90 degree couplings on the hoses and bolting right into the power steering pump and rack.

I plan to do a complete write up when I do it, and it will probably happen next month.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.