DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Stock air box or aftermarket cai ?

10K views 20 replies 18 participants last post by  ddeloria 
#1 ·
If i have a aftermarket drop in filter by k&n or a complete cold air intake ,Which would be better to get ? Is there a noticeable difference with a k&n drop in filter to the stock air box or a complete cold air intake is better ? Will one give you a noticeable more hp over the other .

#2 ·
I put in a drop in filter a few weeks ago. Didn't want to spend the money for a "CAI". Definitely sounds better with drop in than the stock filter. I did notice a slight increase in MPG. But you end up liking the sound so much you're harder in the gas. Don't really think you would notice a difference in power with either one, IMO.

#4 ·
No CAI is going to give you enough extra power or torque to notice the difference. It will just sound louder. IMO just do a drop in K&N p, change the tube between the airbox and the throttle body, and add a second intake tune to the bottom of your airbox (search the forum for threads on that). That set up will give you just as much gains as any aftermarket CAI you can buy for a much cheaper price.

#5 ·
As indicated by Brandon these OEM CAI you get from factory are very efficient and provide the best setup for the factory engine. That being said if you want to just mod your truck and have fun installation a CAI go for it, if you want to change the intake sound of your engine to something else, then go for it, if your looking for the look and the fact you will have a lifetime cleanable air filter, then go for it, if you think your going to get 12 hp out of it by changing to something basically identical in function. Invest in a free flow exhaust or some other mod you might enjoy, it wont do it. by the way, I have a K&N CAI on my truck, did it cause I wanted the look and the sound.

#6 ·
I put the k&n drop in filter in and modded my air box with the extra tubing. I'm happy with it for the 15 bucks I spent to do it excluding the filter. I am thinking of putting in the S&B and a moes 85 throttle body but all in time. Too many mods too little cash ya know.

#8 ·
Air aid sells just the tube but its like $110 for just a tube.

#10 ·
Green performance drop in air filter. I have had several K&N air filters, the Green performance filters are made better imo. I noticed an instant improvement in throttle response as well. I was not expecting any gains, I just don't believe in buying air filters every 10k miles. Our trucks will dirty up a filter in 10k miles even in all on road conditions.

#12 ·
I have the k&n cai and honestly its not that loud. sure I can hear it sucking air, but the way people talked I thought it was gonna roar. I would think one could not even hear the s&b cai. overall I like the k&n but if I had to do it over again, tube and drop in is how I would go. I know putting a tube on aint gonna make a difference, but damn the factory one is ugly as sin.

#17 ·
the tube part number is KIT237T, it is a special order item and has to ship directly from AirAid, this makes it a little extra cost for us to get it to everyone but we can still get it to you at a decent price, we could save everyone $10-$20 if we could organize a 5-6 person group buy :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.