DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Will a 180 T-stat stop pinging?

3K views 20 replies 12 participants last post by  chefred112 
#1 ·
I have a superchips cortex and I have tried every tune and i get the ping when I stomp on it with everyone. When I put back to stock its fine. I thought i saw somewhere that the 180 t-stat took care of the pinging. Any info would be appreciated Thanks

#2 ·
It may or may not stop it completely, but a 180 tstat and catch can would definitely help.

#3 ·
Yes you should be using a 180 tstat and it will help but I'm not convinced that's your problem (I could be wrong). Sounds like you are using the wrong octane or your tuner has issues (highly unlikely). Then again if you were running too low of octane say on a 93 tune you would hear more than just pinging...you'd hear loud clanking. So I am curious, have you found the problem yet?

#5 ·
I found the 180 stat helped with my pinging on the 93 HF tune. I agree that a catch can would be the next mod to help out with this.

The one thing that I have to be careful about in my area is gas stations that are known for "watering down" their fuel. 93 at the local Gulf runs like 91, and my truck pings like crazy with the 93 tune. If I get 93 at the local Shell station I have no issues. Quality of fuel is something to keep an eye on.

#8 ·
Never a bad idea to have a water remover or octane booster on hand just in case you get a bad batch. I've gotten some pinging before that went away when I threw in a bottle of Lucas octane booster. It pays to go with the good stuff here, especially when we have 26-32 gallon tanks.

#9 ·
A 180 tstat will likely help prevent pinging/detonation but it should not be a fix to a problem. Confirm you are using the correct octane fuel.

Your engine has knock sensors so you shouldn't really hear pinging, it should detect pinging and retard timing until the pinging is gone. Something seems wrong. Do you have any check engine light and codes?

#11 ·
Personally the trinity is the optimal tuner with hemi fever tune. I know it's more expensive. But u get what u pay for. I'd say ditch the super chip and get a trinity!
DiabloSport is superior to Super Chips but unless you are going to heavely moddify your motor the In Tune by Diablo is a cheaper option and is easier to use and update. Just my 2 cents

#12 ·
What are you guys basing this on? JMO but I think it's forum hype? I've used both diablo and superchips(and a mail order tune) and the superchips tunes blow diablo's tunes away. Talking about tenths of a second consistently. It's been this way on every vehicle we've ever used both diablo and superchips on.

If you need custom tuning sure diablo is pretty much necessary but otherwise go with superchips.

#13 ·
Basing it on the fact I had a superchip on my 06 Charger R/T and it was a dog switched to diablo and it woke it up and has since been turned into a low 10 second beast. I see you have the 4.7 so I can't talk to it but I know the diablo tunes work well on the 5.7 hemi in both my car and my Ram. JMO

#14 ·
It may vary by vehicle/engine, but I'd expect the tunes to be consistent. I've had experience with both canned tunes on a few different makes/models and the superchips out performed. On my 4.7L the superchips adds nearly 70hp/70lb ft IIRC. That's pretty impressive for a gas engine.

#16 ·
First I'm going to say that I don't know which tuner is better. I can only say that if you're stock a SC will work just fine and if you're cammed I would suggest a DS. All said, for those geniuses out there who absolutely know the DS is better how about some facts? I'm not talking about your track times. I want you to tell me (since you are so smart) just what the DS modifies and it's perimeters to make it better then SC or vise versa. In other words, give me the timing settings and A/F mixtures and calculations when and where at what rpms. If you don't know this then you don't know jack about which is better...it's only your biased opinion. I can tune a car, a carb, 3 deuses, two fours, dominators, fuel injection, A/F mixture, timing, spark advance, mechanical or vacumn, can any of you? But I have know idea what these tuner guys or companies are adjusting or their settings and differences so how can any of you justify that you know one is better than the other besides giving your biased opinion? My doubts are that absolutely none of you know the settings or when and where they change at what rpms that these tuner guys have in their programs. And if you did know the sweet spots then you would tune it yourself. I may not be able to remember everything, but I know enough to see when when people are talking out of the a$$e$. The fact is, unless you build these programs for these tuners for someone...just like me, you don't know jack about these tuners. You only know what they want you to know period. You only know the few settings that they display on the monitor. And that's not enough to qualify as an expert between the two. Just like the gentleman out there that says my truck is junk because he can make power shifting at 6500 rpms with a stock hemi and I can't. Then there are his believers that are tuning their vehicles and can't even get to 6200 rpms yet but believe he can make power shifting at 6500. I'm not being a smarta$$, just stating facts. If you think I'm wrong, demand to your tuner guys to set your shift points from 1st to 2nd at 6500 and see what he tells you. He's going to laugh at you. So lets hear from you guys who can produce FACTS proving which tuner is the best. If I'm wrong I'll stand corrected. To me, they're not doing anything different other than the same basic perimeters. DS has different programs for different cams and induction and SC doesn't. SC has performance trans tuning and DS doesn't. Take your pick, as of now you can't have your cake and eat it too...it's one or the other. :)

#17 ·
First <stuff> other. :)
First: In the words of the great internet, 'umadbro?'
Second: OP is having problems with his SC tune that most folks do not encounter with their DS tune. Ergo, assumption made DS is better
Third: Beyond stock tunes, DS is offering more support and more variety, hence most would endorse the investment to DS tuning/tuners over SC

To OP: Octane first, and if possible from the most reliable souce you can obtain it. Locally here, the 'kwiki marts' tend to have old tanks, while the bulk retailers are unpredictable, so we usually use one or two newer-built, brand-franchise establishments for our fuel.
Running a 93 tune typically really needs some good fuel, and a thermostat may only be covering an issue you do not want to deal with later. (although I would personally endorse a 180 T-Stat just for the future)

If you budget eventually allows it, a custom tune would be a great investment.

#19 ·
To the OP, I have no idea when you bought your tuner, but yours is warranted for two years. Not to mention SC has outstanding costumer support. They literally will give you their shirt off their back. I suggest you call them and ask them for help about your problem. You will not get anything other than biased replies from others on the dark side with their DS. And last, check to make sure that it is not your truck causing this before you rid of your SC. :)

#21 ·
nice Gray...that car hooks...

as i've used both SC and now DS...I only went to DS out of necessity to tune my cammed/head setup...I truly loved the SC and went as far as use a piggyback tuner to get my truck to run with SC but I knew I really needed to lean out my setup more for it to run optimally. (pushin the piggback affected other areas negatively such as tranny line pressure)... at first the DS acted badly (that's what I get for bein one of the first to use it) but after a few updates and finding a good tuner, she runs great..I don't even want to tweak or adjust it now cuz it runs so good...it would be nice to get on a dyno tho to fine tune it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.