DODGE RAM FORUM banner

S&B vs Airaid

9K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  CdnoilRAM 
#1 · (Edited)
Well after 2 weeks using a 2012 airaid cai, on 2013 i thought i would take it off and try the s&b because i didn't like the fit of the airaid as they havn't made one for the 2013 yet. As my personal feeling i didn't notice any change from stock intake with the s&b and ended up putting the airaid back on. Just my input.

i do however like the security of s&b being enclosed

#4 ·
There is minimal differences between all the so-called CAIs. Their biggest benefit is from the less restrictive filters compared to stock. The systems that will give the best results are the ones that will bring the coldest air possible into the intake tube, so the vararam or any with a power scoop in addition to the regular intake. Sealed or not won't make a huge difference when driving around, but you'll see a difference in IATs when idling or slow cruising with a sealed intake.

#6 ·
You don't need to 'ram' air in to make it better, with a naturally aspirated motor you just need to allow it access to the coldest air possible with the smoothest transition possible. Most ram air systems are only good above 80km/hr, below that you don't see any gains, so access to a colder air reservoir is more of a benefit for most driving.

#13 ·
Stock system is a cold air intake. I dont know of any ram air systems that draw in hot air. Since I drive quite frequently over 49.7 mph (especially at the track), I would see it as beneficial. Might be splitting hairs, but ram air intake is as good as it gets, short of a supercharger.

#15 ·
A true ram air system is one that ducts from the front of the vehicle and uses the vehicle's speed to direct higher velocity air into the intake tube. The prime example of this is ram air hoods which create more air flow to the filter area. These can still pull hot air depending on the type of filter system used, but unless the vehicle is moving at a decent speed, then there isn't much benefit of a ram air system. I personally was running a suncoast hood and a lmi hammer short ram intake which has no seal or heat shields but flows the most sure I've ever seen from an intake tube, and while idling or slow speed driving I would see a 25-40 degree rise in iat temps compared to when traveling on the main roads or highways.

#14 ·
I'm personally a beleiver in intakes. I don't have one on my truck as of her, but my previous car I gained 4 tenths and 3 mph in the 1/4 mile. That was with a k&n short ram intake

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.