DODGE RAM FORUM banner

S&B Filter Question

2K views 19 replies 10 participants last post by  s1000rrhp 
#1 ·
I think S&B is the right choice for my 13 Ram 1500... Should i get an Oil filter or stick to the Paper Ones?

#5 ·
This is the problem I have with S&B. Neither are desirable. How about a dry/reusable/cleanable filter? If the paper were cheaper, I'd probably pick it. However, having a disposable filter cost as much as a lifetime-reusuble -- seems somewhat ridiculous to me. Thus, I'd probably pick the oiled filter in this case.

#10 ·
I always understood that paper filters actually filtered better while the oiled ones flowed more air. I think the oiled filters can cause problems if they are OVER oiled though. I always use an air compressor to blow excess oil off the filter material before first installation and each time after I clean and re-oil it. I hold a paper tower inside the filter and blow from the outside staying back about 12 inches as to not damage the filter. If any excess oil is coming off it will come off during this process and not after it`s installed. If too much oil is left on the filter it can dirty up the MAF sensor.

#12 ·
I love my S&B. I talked to them. It is roughly 20-30k miles the filter needs to be replaced, that is not that bad. It just needs to be cleaned in between those times. I absolutely love my kit. I hate oiled filters.

#15 ·
I just installed my new S&B CAI with the oiled filter 2 days ago, I have always used the k&n oiled drop in filters so that's why I went that route. I have never had a problem with the oiled ones just have to remember not to over oil them when cleaning.

#16 ·
It's truly midboggling how miss-informed people are about oiled filters. But I'm not going to point fingers because I was the same for many years until I was shown the light.

HERE is my opinion of the oiled VS paper filter debacle I posted in my S&B Intake Review thread.

Good luck ultimately in your decision.

#17 ·
I am no a debby downer on oiled filters. I just personally have not enjoyed them. Plus I am used to diesel, and almost any diesel tech will tell you not to run oiled because of the force of the turbo. So I am just used to not running oil. If S&B only had oiled I probably would've gotten oiled. It was more important to me to go S&B than which filter.

#20 ·
Well I ended up using an airaid filter sound is better and has a sweet low growl to it... I love this filter.... its their new synthetic design that doesn't
need oil. But adventually may need to change filter. I used a 2012 on my 2013 fits fine, the air conditioner pipe fits a little snug to it but overall fits perfect. this is the part number from Airaid i used

Part # 301-237 and has a much noticed improvements.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.