DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Exhaust Question

2K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  Ram2004 
#1 ·
I have run two seperate pipe straight back and was wonderin if i would be able to cut the pipes just before the rear axle and put 90 degree angles aiming down on the ends of them with out messing anything up?

#4 · (Edited)
I know here in Md. that if it's a pickup truck (and you don't have a cap on it) that you can run and stop the exhaust underneath the bed of the truck . If the truck has a cap on it , you must exit the exhaust from underneath . Reason is that if you have a cap on it , you are capable of trapping carbon monoxide inside of the cap which could kill you or anyone inside the cap . Don't forget to go the newbie section and introduce your self .

#5 ·
You will need mufflers. Most places around the U.S. require mufflers, it's the law. Not only that, with emissions testing as strict as it is, you will fail for sure.

Once the mufflers are on, you can dump it before the axle.

#8 ·
You definitely need mufflers. Florida has noise ordinance laws in regards to vehicle exhausts...though most cops don't enforce them.

You might look into short glasspacks, the 18" like chithead mentioned will go under the bed nice and easy, and a 45 degree turn down maybe two inches before the axle will give you plenty of heat dissipation so you don't mess anything up.

#7 ·
Might look into one of the dual in/ dual out mufflers then put turn downs right before the rear axle. Make sure they definitely dump down below the axle though. I bought my first Ram and it had 12" glasspacks with 18" tips welded right onto the back of them. Problem was it was lowered, and those tips pointed right at the passenger side of the rear axle. That housing would get super hot on the one side...

#11 ·
really? mufflers give more hp? i didnt kno that... Thanks for the info, kinda low on cash so thats why i wondering if i'd be able to just keep the set up that i have on and make some mods so i wouldn't have to deal with the pipes bouncing around every few months after i weld them up... im up for suggestions and appreciate the help

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.