DODGE RAM FORUM banner

HELP PLEASE!! 2012 Ram 1500 Crew with 6in RCX Front Drive Shaft Problem!!!

11K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  2012ramsportellis 
#1 ·
I have a 2012 Ram 1500 crew i had a 6in RCX lift put on and i have 35in nitto trail grapplers on XD Rockstar rim's. I had the lift and tires put on at 17,000 miles and my truck has 31,000 miles on it. I had noises coming from the front end so i took it to the dealer and they decided the inside of the front driveshaft came apart so they had me take it to the shop that installed the lift to check the angle and he said it was good so dodge put on a new one. Today i took it back to the dealer and they say its the front shaft again!!! Anyone else having this problem? I love my truck just hate it making noises :) Thanks for any help!

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
truck looks awsome .

maybe you can stop by a shop that makes drive shafts and ask them what they think . maybe they can custruct you a nice one that doesnt get all rusted up .

#4 ·
I guess im going down to advanced driveline in fl to get them to fab me one. I talked to rcx yesterday and they say they have had no problems but the shop that installed my lift said that they have this problem with the 2012 models because they have changed the front drive shaft setup? Either way im just going to get a drive shaft made because it makes alot of noise! Thanks

#6 ·
He we go again with the rcx and there lack of testing on these rams , I also went threw this front driveshaft issue on my 2012 ram 1500, I caught mine early noticed the bad vibration after my 6 inch lift was installed , rcx sent me out new front differential drop brackets which lowered the angle on the driveshaft and now I have no issues since up front , they are well aware of this issue but still sell the 2012 324s kit with there orgional brackets , but I also have a nightmare with my rear driveshaft pinion angle , that destroyed my rear u joints as-well for this they sent out adjustable rear upper control arms and I still cant get it set right to where the wobble is gone . And I now also have my rear springs sagged , all this with only 4500 kms on this kit . I would not recommend this rcx kit to anyone ! the front brackets they sent out for free and paid for the install , the rear issue they sent out the arms and I was left with a bill of close to $500 for install and new u joints .

#8 ·
For your rear issue, did you ever get the angle measured at the tcase?

You have slip yoke at the tcase with ujoint correct?

Get an angle finder and measure it at the tcase. That angle must be same (no more than 2° different) at the axle pinion. Take that angle and get shims at an angle to rotate the pinion back down. The shims will go under your leaf springs, on top of the perches.

Example Shims

#7 ·
I have left Davy at rough country a few voice mails and emails, I have also sent pictures to rough country and have not received any replies. I have read people have had no issues at all but I have also found others having the same issues. I have paid out more in replacement parts then the cost of the lift. 2012ramsportellis who did you deal with to get the correct diff drop brackets? The shop contacted rough country and was told they were unaware of any issues for 2012.

#9 ·
it is always the angle of the dangle
in this case the dangle is the drive shaft

i believe that someone was misinformed about having no angle was good
a perfectly straight drive shaft & universal joints is not the best way to do it

this is a simplified explanation
http://www.hotrodhotline.com/md/html/drive_shaft_harmonics.php

#10 ·
Well just got back from the shop and they say "if rough country says they haven't had any problems then it must be faulty drive shafts" this is a joke. Is there anyone out there who has had similar problems and found a fix? That would like to go into detail about how it was fixed?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.