DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Cam installed! (Video)

5K views 29 replies 17 participants last post by  bouf0010 
#1 ·
Some of you have seen my other post about the cam swap I started last weekend. Well we finished everything up on Wednesday and so far no problems. I went with the Inertia Crazy Jay Plus cam after talking with the guys at Inertia for quite some time about what I was looking to get out of my truck and what I already had done. I also used one of Inertia's authorized installers and I couldn't be more happy with everything from him.

I went to Extreme Mopar Performance in Long Island, NY to go see Mike. First let me say that Jacob from Inertia was the one who sent me to Mike and told me he had done about a dozen or so cam swaps for them this year. I gave Mike a call to just get a feel for what it was going to cost me and with a few questions about the install and he happily answered everything. On top of that he told me about some parts I was going to need that I didn't realize I needed. He then emailed me the part numbers for those parts and sent me to his parts guy who, even with all my searching around the internet, had the best prices I could find for parts.

Mike's "shop" is actually his driveway. He will be opening up an actual shop in the spring, but for now he does everything in his driveway. He also has no problems letting you hang around and help out with the install. The first day I brought my truck to him I got there around 930. I didn't leave till 5. I was there watching and helping when I could with everything that needed to be done. It was like hanging out with someone you've known for your whole life. Very relaxed and fun. Anyways, we ran into a problem on Saturday night when my valve stem seals were...well bad. I hadn't planned on having to change them so that pushed back the install a few days. But, we figured out that that was the reason for the smoke I'd been having come out of my exhaust. Oil was leaking into the valves and being burned off in the heads. Problem is fixed now and Mike didn't charge me any extra for the extra time my truck was with him.

I went back on Wednesday and helped Mike put everything back together. I was there from 3 to 11. It was freezing and raining. But Mike didn't stop and we got everything hooked back up and running great.

I also added a couple other things with the cam. I put on my 87mm TB, put in a 180* t-stat, and hooked up my new CAI, a BFI composite intake. Oh and the custom tune from Inertia (still to be completely worked out).

The truck runs completely different now. In a good way though. There is no throttle delay at all and I can feel the increase in power from before. It drives so much better than before. I can't wait for the tune to get ironed out and really see what she can do. She sounds AMAZING now too. Louder than before, which doesn't bother me, but different too. I love it!

Sorry for the long write up but I just needed to get Mike's name out there. The guy knows what he is doing and will jump through hoops to help you out. His prices can't be beat and I swear to you it will be cheaper than any shop you talk to. Anyone within a few hours and needs work done should give him a call. I know I'll be going back to him if I need any more work done. And my truck runs better now than it did!

Here is a video of the idle. This was a warm start, and you can see that I'm checking coolant levels and a couple other things while my buddy takes the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3zIrCeP9bs

See less See more
#2 ·
Nice! I just did a spartan plus which is a fairly hot cam. I had a sidewinder cam before, which I think is more like your cam, a really good torquer bottom end cam. Jacob asked me to do a sound clip which I will do, but I've had it in my shop for a complete rust proofing. I expected more lope with my spartan plus, but my dyno tuner said I gained about 20 more rwhp over the sidewinder. We still have some more tuning to do, going to raise shift points and rev limiter. BTW, nice exhaust!

#3 ·
Yea I was between the Crazy Jay plus and the Spartan plus and Jacob told me to go with the Crazy Jay plus. I'm going to get another video clip of the truck driving so I can show off the WOT sound cause its MEAN! I've got to send Jacob a couple pictures anyways and the video so that will be good.

You can hear a little bit of lope in the exhaust but its not a gigantic kachunk kachunk sound :LOL:

#4 ·
wish I could watch the video on my phone. it's not working for some reason. will watch tomrw at work. congrats tho!

#5 ·
1) Props for all the positive feedback for an aspiring mechanic; nice stuff to read.
2) the truck sounds badass.
Can't wait to see and hear more, hope it all works out well for ya.

#6 ·
sounds awesome. I second that on another audio clip once it's all said and done.

#7 ·
Congrats man! It's so nice to hear about a great mechanic that didn't rip you off and wasn't afraid to let you see their work. He probably could have cut a few corners if you weren't watching, ripped you off and charged more on the extra work to make a quick buck but he just earned probably dozens of future customers by doing a great job for you. Truck sounds great :)

#12 ·
Lets see if I remember all the parts I got. I went with the custom forged pushrods from Inertia. Anyways here's the list:

Crazy Jay Plus Cam
16 6.1L Exhaust Valve Springs
Custom forged pushrods
6.1L timing set (the whole thing, tensioner chain, everything)
Timing cover gasket
5.7L Crank bolt (6.1L is the same bolt also but a different part number)
New Cam bolt
Left and Right head gaskets
2 sets of head bolts (one for each head)
Exhaust manifold gaksets
About 4 gallons of coolant (save some money and buy 2 gallons of pure coolant and 2 gallons of distilled water)
7 quarts oil
Oil filter
Optional: intake manifold gaskets (they are O rings), valve stem seals

I was leaking oil in my heads and burning it off through the exhaust so that's why I replaced the valve stem seals since that seemed to be the problem. My intake manifold gaskets were very oily so I replaced those as well. I would go with FelPro gaskets. They are the company that makes Mopars gaskets. All Mopar does is put their name on them and sell them for more money. So go with the FelPro gaskets. I can see if I can find my list with the part numbers as well and I'll get you that.

Curious how is your exhaust set up?
I'm running a custom made true dual exhaust. Pacesetter longtube headers into 3" piping, no cats, with 3" DMH electric cutouts, into Magnaflow mufflers with 3.5" black slant tips before each rear wheel. I'm essentially running 2 exhausts as I don't have any connection between both sides. No H or X or Y pipe at all.

Headers into piping

Piping to the cutout then muffler

Muffler to tips

Your truck sounds mean. I love it. You mention you told them what you were looking to get out of your truck, what exactly do you plan on getting out of it. I want to do a cam swap in the future and I love the way your truck is sounding.
I was looking for alot more bottom end torque. I want to be thrown back in my seat when I hit the gas pedal. I'm never going to need to go 150 mph so I don't need acceleration from speeds like 70 mph. I plan on doing a Sharadon stage III valve body and a 2800-3000 stall converter next. These should also help with what I'm looking to get from my truck. I have taken my truck to the track before and I will probably go again, but being the fastest on the track isn't my first priority. If I can be first from the red light then I'm happy :LOL:

#14 ·
I've thought about it but I'm not sure I have a place close enough the put one in. It wasn't my original plan to have the exhaust made this way, but with how I wanted it to look and the placement of things that's how it ended up being made. I have been considering adding an H in there though recently

#15 ·
Thanks man I appreciate it sounds like we got about the se build goin on I just bout the sharadon stage 2 tranny with stage 3 valve body and 3000 stall but my exhaust is a little different I got the pacesetter long tubrs with cat delete but I got two dynomaxx race bullet mufflers they a y pipe with a 4 in tip and I also looked into getting the high volume oil pump too but thanks again for the info

#27 ·
Only thing I would do is lose the wing:/ but congrats on the cam and a great looking truck man. Now go get some track times!!!

#29 ·
How is the install of the wideband sensor? I know I can't do it since I don't have the tools to weld a new o2 bung into my exhaust. I'm assuming it couldn't be that expensive though since it seems like a relatively quick install.

This cam is great for low end torque. That's the whole reason I got it was to add low end torque.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.