DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Tailgate light bar and install

12K views 30 replies 15 participants last post by  JB343 
#1 ·
I have been wanting one of those long LED tailgate light bars for the longest time. I started doing some research and there are tons of reviews and how unreliable they are. After a little while they get moisture in them and the LEDs start to fail. I have finally decided to get this one.

http://www.customdynamics.com/truck_led_light_bar.htm

It is a little more expensive than others and even has fewer features than some (no sequential turns or white reverse lights) but it seems to have more LEDs than others so it should be brighter. It is in a rigid aluminum casing and has a lifetime warranty for LED failure. I have used these guys in the past for LED strips for my Harley and they have really been great. I have emailed them over the past couple of weeks and they have always been very responsive. I also ordered this so I would not have to tap into the factory wiring, can hide the connection and leave the 4-pin on the bumper available for use.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/140958989430?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Now I just have to figure out how I am going to install this thing. So we have the spare tire access hole right in the way. I know you can remove the plastic ring around the hole and mount the light bar just covering about a quarter of the top of the hole and can still access enough of the hole to get the extension in there. But if you look you really need to mount the bar right over the hole for best light output. Also this bar only uses automotive 3M tape to install. I have used this stuff before and have no problem with it and know it will hold up well. But you better make sure you have it straight and level the first time because you really only get one shot.

So I started thinking how I could cover the spare tire access hole up and figure out another way to lower the spare tire when needed. Then I thought it would be great if this light bar was just magnetic on the back and you could mount it anywhere and remove it when needed. I started researching some of that magnetic tape and all of the reviews for that stated that it is not very strong. Then I thought about just getting some magnets and using the 3M tape (that comes on the light bar) on the back to adhere the magnets. I found some of these on eBay but have not ordered them yet. The light bar is also 3/8” high is why I am looking at this size but the longest I can find is 1” so will need to use several of them, not really sure how many. That will have to be trial and error, will start with three and add more if needed. I did make sure with CD that the magnets would not affect the LEDs.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/271150412558?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649#ht_1773wt_800

I know they are little expensive for 10 small magnets but it may be worth it if it makes the light bar easier to install and removable. The problem I am worried about with these is that with their holding power and smooth finish that they could just pull off of the 3M tape and stay on the truck…..

Please help….need any other advice or suggestions.

Thanks,
Greg

See less See more
#2 ·
i have the same light bar...big fan of custom dynamic light run tthem in my HD i just trimmed the lip off the top of the trim ring for the jack...the lights are some of the brightest out there you will not be unhappy with it I bought a 4 way plug and wired it to my tail lights direct so left my plug open in the rear.. Take the tail gate off for sure makes install much easier just be sure it is low enough to clear bottom swing of the tailgate when you open it...piece of cake you will love it ...if you buy direct they have a great warrantee :smiley_thumbs_up:

#3 ·
With the tailgate off it is easy to use a little mashing tape to get your straight line ...like I said they are great company to deal with...falls apart they will fix it...have run their lights a long time and never had issue..lol..had a guy stop me tonight and ask where I got the light bar....SUPER BRIGHT !!

#4 ·
Oh yea 1 thing I had to do was put 2 or 3 layers of emblem tape right at the ends ...there is a 1/8 lip maybe where the body wraps around ,if you look in you'll see what I mean ,mine has been there for over a year and never moved

#5 ·
Did not read your whole post...you already know CD..

#6 ·
Thanks Cat Daddy for all of the insight. Still might try the magnets. I might order the ones I posted the link to and start with maybe 5 of them. The light comes with a 3M promoter pack to aid the 3M tape to adhering. I will use that on the back of the magnets and just remove the portion of the 3M backing where I will place the magnets. Then maybe let them sit overnight before trying it. I guess the worse thing that could happen is I have to remove all of the 3M tape from the back of the light and get more and just start over.

#7 ·
ive never dealt with a light bar, im looking into it as well. but magnets?! ive never heard of that idea! you probably just came up with the coolest way to do it..

#9 ·
I have the same bar as well. Never had a problem with it in the way of removing the spare and I remove the spare often enough to have the truck oiled. I took out that plastic piece in the access hole. The only problem I've had is wiring problems but thats more my soldering skills and winter weather than anything. Next time I'd just get the plug and play one instead.

#10 ·
Got the light bar, wiring adapter and the magnets in. I installed the wiring adapter and the magnets on the back of the light bar. I will let the magnet sit overnight before trying to install tomorrow so they will have a little time to set to the 3M tape.

I hope this wroks, I will share more tomorrow.

Attachments

#11 ·
You don't need to let it sit overnight when you use the 3M promoter and the 3M tape. Promoter is ready in minutes to stick the tape. Clean with alcohol first then use the promoter.

Greg

#12 · (Edited)
Magnets are working great. Did not have to remove the tailgate to install either. Slapped it on and was able to slide it around to get it centered. Another good thing about the magnets is that it povides enough gap for the overlap on both ends and the spare tire hole platic. Also since it has a lifetime warranty I can easly remove it to sell it or add it to a new truck.

Attachments

#15 ·
Yes, actually the guy I was working with through their customer service sent me a picture of his boss's truck that had one mounted with the spray lining there and used the 3M tape. The magnets might work as well but you would need more than the 5 strong ones I used but not sure if I would trust that.

#17 ·
Harness

Hey guys, I ordered a light bar from Recon. I need help with the 4 pin adaptor. Can some one tell me what I need so I can keep the bumper plug free. It's a 2013 Ram 1500. Thanks in advance.

#19 ·
Nice and clean install! Magnets are too iffy for me, I prefer to keep and use the 3M tape that these bars come with.

I installed (five times LOL) the 60" Recon Xtreme and have never had a problem with the bar staying where I put it. The 3M tape has proven itself through all imaginable weather and driving conditions. I also didn't need to remove the tailgate - as someone else already mentioned, the mounting location can easily be marked with masking tape with the gate down.

Again, nice install.. hope the magnets hold up for you! :smileup:

#20 ·
Harness

Thanks NCBEAST, it worked perfectly.

#23 ·
Not a stupid question and something I did not think of. I checked this morning and there is no rust so far. I looked up and description and it says they have a triple coating, Nickel+Copper+Nickel so I am not sure if they will rust or not. I will keep an eye on them and report back if they do.

#25 ·
Pulling out an old post to see if anyone that tried the magnet idea (all six-months ago, or longer) have had any problems or regrets? Looking to mount lights on my '14 Laramie 2500, and I I'l trying to avoid the spare tire access hole, as well…

#28 ·
I know it has been a while since this first got posted, but in looking on adding a tailgate bar to my truck, I came across this. BEST IDEA EVER! I installed mine following your idea. It came out perfect. Clears the hole for the spare tire. Only thing I did was use 7 of the magnets, since I bought a bunch. Thank you!

#29 ·
I have been following this post and yesterday got my tailgate light bar and installed it with 3 very strong magnets that my son ordered from the internet sometime ago. Im sorry but I really dont where he got them from but will try to find out. These magnets are so strong it took me several minutes to free them when I accidentaly dropped them on my tool box. My son also showed me how he has used the magnets to hold his gun securly below the dashboard. I didnt believe it tried it and it works very well for that also. I will be ordering more lol.

I only had to use 3 of magnets to hold the light bar. I think it was NCBEAST that had idea to mount the light bar with magnets. I dont know how to give or suggest that somebody get "reps"but he should get some for this discovery.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.