DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Should I tow cross country with my truck?

Tags
towing
1K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  flexmerc 
#1 ·
Hello all,
I am considering transporting my home furniture across the county, from Georgia to Texas (over 1100 miles), towing a 6x12 U-Haul trailer.
The thing is my truck is 9 years old; she has about 130,000 miles on the drivetrain and engine. When going uphill around 45 mph, I notice a slight rattling or knocking sound...this is what concerns me.
I have consistently changed my oil (mobile 1/K&N oil filter) every 3000-5000 miles depending on my driving conditions, flushed and changed the transmission oil/filter twice since buying it in 2004, and changed the spark plugs and wires twice.

Do you think my truck will make the trip pulling around a 4000 lbs. trailer?

Thanks, all advice is welcomed

#2 ·
My mother in law is moving from Nevada to Texas, she had a pod delivered from an Lowe's affiliate called pack rat. We loaded it today, I highly recommend it. Strong all metal container, no extra charges like "the pod" company, low to the ground so it was easy to load. I'll never rent a giant moving truck, pack rat is awesome. They even gave a 10% discount when we told them "the pod" was cheaper. They drop it off and deliver it, check them out.

#4 ·
By coincidence today when I was driving, around 35mph, I lost power steering, looked at my rpms and my truck had turn off somehow...no check engine or nothing...I think it's a sign to trade my truck in.

Has this happened to anyone? I'm going to post elsewhere on the forums

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.