DODGE RAM FORUM banner

dumb idea??

1K views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  shawnu 
#1 ·
Okay so my buddy at work and I were talking about exhaust on our dodges.. I'm running the 5.7 hemi.. anyways he said he wasn't going to buy an exhaust and just cut the muffler off at the catalytic converter.. I wanted to do it with mine but I'm not wanting to lose power.. bad idea to just cut the pipe at the catalytic converter??

#6 ·
It will be very loud inside that cab, while there is really nothing wrong with not running a muffler, this is best done and most enjoyable by doing a muffler delete and leaving the resonators, otherwise like stated harley sound in the cab. However if that is the sound you are going after then by all means do it, however not that you may have trouble passing an inspection essentially running a strait pipe dumped under the cab, most states require on truck that drive on the street have exhaust that dumps behind the cab.

#7 ·
Insanely loud inside.. my 98 silverado 305 was just cut off right under the cab when i first got it. Any throttle or cruising over 60, it was damn near impossible to have a conversation.

Just have em weld in a peice of straight pipe in place of the muffler, loud as hell outside "bearable" inside. Lol

#9 ·
Ohh, to be young ;)

I ran nothing but headers on my 76 chevy in the 80's, and coming over the Burlington skyway at night, letting off the gas, and seeing flames shooting out the sides of the truck amidst it's thunder was a riot - well it was for me, not so much for the work crews up there at the time!

:50:

#10 ·
That will be way to much man. Your ears will be ringing and you will smell like exhaust fumes everytime you get out of the truck to see the pretty ladies!!! Way to loud brotha but if yall are wanting to keep it cheap and loud do the mufflex dod80 muffler delete or for even cheaper cut the muffler off and add a piece of tubing to your exhaust pipe so it atleast goes right after the cab

#11 ·
I think I'm just going to remove my resonator it seems easier lol the whole taking the muffler off and risking losing power doesn't sound fun to me at all.. What is the best way to remove the resonator?? Do I need a deep socket or can I use a wrench??

#12 ·
What was the question posed by the OP?? Nuff said. lol

#13 ·
You cant just unbolt the res, theyre welded on as far as i know, unless your wanting a side exit exhaust pipe, id just cut the exhaust right after the axle to make it like a dump. Thatd be your cheapest route.

Sawzall works great!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.