DODGE RAM FORUM banner

exhaust

1K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  RAMinator13 
#1 ·
I've been doing a lot of reading and I'm still stuck.. For my exhaust I'm thinking leaving the stock cats and adding the y pipe with a magnaflow muffler.. Mostly looking for performance and nice sound.. Any advice would be nice..

#2 ·
for best performance gains you should technically upgrade your cats, the problem with this Is that they are expensive to upgrade often more expensive then the rest of the system. why don't you just buy a cat-back Magnaflow or mbrp? this way the system will all bolt to the originally cats easily plus its designed for the truck giving you a good sound and some performance. if your looking for a budget design you can always go pick up a thrush from your dealer, it'll be loud, doesn't necessarily mean it'll sound good though and probably wont get any performance from it...

#3 ·
I think you have the right idea, I did similar and swapped the stock, water-tank sized, muffler for a Borla XR-1 and it was a pretty significant difference in the way it pulls at higher RPM's. Normal day to day driving you won't feel it as much but in general the awesome sound of it makes it well worth the money!

I can't speak on the Y because I haven't done it......yet :LOL:

But even if you just do the muffler, I promise you wont be disappointed!
What size Magnaflow are you thinking?

#4 ·
you have the right idea..a Y pipe and a magnaflow...can't go wrong, it's just a matter of how loud you want... 14", 18" or 22" (the bigger, the quieter, also the bigger, less drone)

#7 ·
Thinking of a 14" muffler with the dual outlet and as for the y pipe idk which size to get.. I want to do it myself to save money but I can't find a stainless pipe to fill the void from my stock y pipe.. Also will the cutout do anything for me if I don't have headers or is it a waste of money..

#10 ·
deff do the y pipe. you can do something like my setup... i have a post about it on the second or third page. called my MAGNAPACK install.... but if you have diff taste i highly recommend
the y pipe

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.