DODGE RAM FORUM banner

tail lights

4K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  Kylmohr 
#1 ·
I have a 98 dodge ram 1500 its white and i'm looking for some white sport tail lights. if anyone has a set i would like to purchase them from you, or if anyone knows of a good website or company that sells the ram sport tail lights.

#2 ·
Ebay and craigslist for the cheapest probably. You can also check out car-part.com there you can search junkyards.
Most lights are paintable. I bought mine of ebay and they were black.
Now I am trying to decide if I want to attempt to bake them open and paint the rest of the black, but I feel it may be too much blue.

I am going to be redoing the paint so I get it too match better

#6 · (Edited)
I had to replace my white sport tailights after one got cracked. So I bought these Altezzas and they will have to be painted. The black rims are all crazed and getting icky.
I painted my rear bumper body color. The secret is to make sure to "kill" the chrome. So I roughed it up with a couple different grades of emery cloth, then treated it with an etching acid and then etch primer. While it sounds labor intensive I probably spent about 80 bucks in materials and it took about 12 hours labor over a three week period to prep and paint. I used Duplicolor spray bombs, about 3 coats of color, wet sanded and rubbed out. Then I repeated it with clear.

#8 ·
It looks good, but there's a catch. Duplicolor is "old school" laquer paint. It stays soft, so if your the kind of person who abuses a bumper, it'll get marred easily.
However old school paint is easy to repair, so with a bit of work it is easily fixed.

I wanted to powder coat it but my coater won't do parts that are chromed. And I didn't want to spend 300 bucks on a Chinese bumper.

#9 ·
thanks for the additional info, i have been looking for a new front bumper and all the ones are off brand and they want an arm and a leg for it. all i want is a factory front sport bumper and i cannot find one i wouldn't mind the high price if it was original.
also if you don't mind me asking where did you get your tail lights.

#13 ·
Avoid the cheap aftermarket bumpers. I picked a complete front set up on feebay; upper, lower, center steel and air dam. The only part on my truck now is the center metal, which was actually very nice. ALL the "plastic" parts however were not only flimsier than OEM, they simply didn't fit. Period. You can either pay the premium price...or pay cheap and then pay the premium price anyway.

So my body guy got better(if not OEM, I'm not actually certain) parts and, surprisingly, the ebay seller made good on the stuff that wouldn't fit. Which, BTW, is still laying in my shop and which I'll give to anyone who wants to pay the shipping if they feel they want to give it a shot.(as well as the factory top piece with two holes for KC's drilled in it).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.