DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Talk me out of it.. Or into it

1K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  gwilburn 
#1 ·
So I've got the diesel truck on my mind. If the MPG's are going to be that great I'm thinking about switching my order to a diesel model 3.0 V6. I currently have a 2014 1500 Sport CC on order. The only thing I don't like is that you can't get the diesel in the sport model. They do offer it in the laramie limited which looks good.

Give me your thoughts on either switching or staying with the sport model...

#2 ·
Don't get too excited. You have months before that Diesel will go into production. Wait for the initial run to settle out. There is high probability that there will be early production glitches and problems. So save yourself some headaches and be patient.
Patience is far easier to live with than regret.

#3 ·
So I've got the diesel truck on my mind. If the MPG's are going to be that great I'm thinking about switching my order to a diesel model 3.0 V6. I currently have a 2014 1500 Sport CC on order. The only thing I don't like is that you can't get the diesel in the sport model. They do offer it in the laramie limited which looks good.

there must have been a reason you chose the sport that had nothing to do with the diesel option...soooo....since clearly money is no object, you should just go and add.....ummmmm.....how many thousand dollars to your order to upgrade the model to get the diesel upgrade??? you de kind o guy Chrysler lives for.....keep the economy goin!!!!

ever own a diesel??? know anything about whut you gotta do to keep em running???

#5 ·
I agree, don't jump on the first model year with a new engine. Wait for the bugs to be worked out. Get the Sport and trade her in when the 16's are out. Should have all the gremlins out of that platform by then.

#10 ·

Easy... do the math. It's going to cost almost $3K more. Where I live, diesel is 40-50 cents a gallon more. You will also have more money maintaining a diesel.

Even if it gets 5 mpg more that the 5.7, it will take you many, many miles to break even.

But like I said... you need to do the math. I did. I optimistically assumed 5 mpg more. It would take me 8 years to break even in the fuel department alone. Didn't even consider other maintenance (oil changes, urea, etc.)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.