DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Which axle ratio on your 2013/2014 Ram?

Which axle ratio do you have?

54K views 257 replies 155 participants last post by  ramit355 
#1 · (Edited)
Just curious what the percentage of each axle ratio members of this
forum have (or have ordered) on their 2013 and 2014 Ram with the 8 speed auto.

And since the 3.55 axle ratio is not available on most of the 2014 Ram's.
Post if you would have, or wanted the 3.55 axle, and whether you went with the
3.92 or 3.21 since you could not get/order the 3.55.

Thanks

#106 ·
it,s my understanding the 3.93 only come in the BigHorn and up models, since i wanted a Sport without all the added stuff they put on the Bighorns and Laramies ended up with the 3.55 like i said i would of perferred the 3.93 i didnt even know they had the 3.21,s till was getting a service bulletin done. I liked of craped, hell the wifes 300C had 2.73 in it. i wouldnt of bought if i had to get the 3.21. Driving wise i still liked my 011 with 5spd and 3.93 better for what i use them for. Wife loves hers, better than her 300C because of height and line of sight is better in Wichita traffic.

#107 ·
a sport model is higher than a bighorn, and you can get a 3.92 sport.

the only difference between a loaded up sport and a laramie is heated rear seats and memory pedals I think, no much else. The sport I bought was actual more than the laramie I was looking at. Sport is the best model IMO since it takes off all that chrome bling.

#108 ·
i dont know where you got your Sport at but mine and the wifes was a lot cheaper than the Bighorns, and a whole lot even more than a Laramie. But i also like the Sports, my 011 was a BigHorn with the chrome, i like the clean look, mine dont even have the badges anymore. i would of been a lot happier with the 3.93,s though glad you got them.

#109 ·
That wasn't the case for me, a comparable Lone Star was cheaper. Sports also have a higher starting price. I went with the Lone Star (same as Big Horn) because I wanted skid plates and tow hooks from the factory and all the Sports I found had leather-I prefer cloth. I do like the lights the sports have, they wouldn't look good with chrome on the truck.

#113 ·
Yeah people get the Lone Star and Longhorn confused. If you live in Texas the Big Horn is called a Lone Star, only difference is the badges. The Longhorn is available everywhere. I could see the dealer selling Sports cheaper than Big Horns if they had ordered a bunch of them and/or the Sports had fewer options on them, as there isn't too much of a difference in starting price between the 2 trims.

#114 ·
it's over 3K just to start.

I guess it doesn't really matter anyway, all I know is you can get a 3.92 on a sport, LOL.

that was my point before we started getting confused

#118 ·
Just to be clear I wasn't raggin on the bighorn at all. Just trying to clear up some confusion about trim levels and not being able to get the 3.92 on the sport. The sport is the start of the premium trims with all options available.

anyway, it really doesn't matter

#128 ·
Got the 3.55 with the anti-spin. Would have ordered 3.92 but it was the last one on the lot and I got a heck of a deal so I went with it. Its still better than my 07 with 3.92 and the 5 speed anyways so I cant complain

#132 ·
I think the OP made the poll for 1/2 ton owners. 3.73 isn't an option either, nor is the power wagon's 4.56.

#144 ·
The 321 runs really nice too. If you haul averge utility trailer, Small to mid size travel Camper,etc etc it will pull it fine up and down the hills. The 3.21 down shifts really smooth too compared the 3.92 as well. But the 3.92 is way more fun to drive and if your hauling 10000 lbs it has no problem at all up and down the hills too from when I had the 3.21 Vs. the now 3.92. The 3.55 really is perfect for all around and they should have it in place with the 8 speeds in my opinion.

#146 ·
I recently ordered a 2014 Laramie with the 8-speed transmission and the 5.7 Hemi. In terms of rearend ratios I was limited to choosing between the standard equipment 3.21 and the 3.92 option. Both set of gears have their advantages and disadvantages, depending on the driving circumstance(s)-proving once again the wisdom of the old adage "you can't have your cake and eat it too". After much debate, I opted for the 3.92 axle but I would probably have went for the compromise 3.55 set-up if it were offered. With the 3.55, you could at least lick the icing...:Hey:

#147 ·
HI All,

5.7 Hemi 3:55 limited slip 4X4 6 speed auto. Decent mileage lots of grunt.

#149 · (Edited)
3.21/8-speed and I am another one who thinks this combo is great. Towed my 6,000 lb tow hauler the other day no problem, in fact I was very impressed. Plus, with only 1200 mi got almost 23 mpg on a 160 mi trip (empty). I am coming from three duramax/ allison equipped trucks too for what it's worth

#150 ·
2013 quad cab with Hemi and 6 speed trans....and the 20" wheels/tires, which is about 4.4% higher in circumference than the 17" tires and wheels. Should be good for about 1 mpg more.

I would have preferred the 3.21 since we travel a lot, but the deal was good so I settled for what they had on hand.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.