DODGE RAM FORUM banner

2014 alpine sub vs 77kick44 kicker mopar upgrad review

19K views 29 replies 8 participants last post by  joeyg 
#1 ·
so i received a 77kivk44 kicker mopar upgrade subwoofer for free from chrysler as a gift
and i will install it this weekend if i have time or monday and i will write up a review on the comparasion of the two next week as i have search and did not found any that has great details

so far i have open the box and look it up, and it seems very well built, instructions are really easy to follow and install looks to be a breeze

the wires, sub, enclosur, amp seems to be of very good quality and no wire cutting, no drilling is necessary for the install, also it seems that only 1 small panel needs to be remove plus the two driver side door sills which are only snap in place

to follow

#5 · (Edited)
Edit: I need to learn to read

#6 ·
Crusher: I put a 77kick44 kicker in my truck yesterday. Getting at the wires on the Alpine amp under the dash is a bit of a PITA. (it's not behind the hatch you remove under the steering wheel--it's off to the left of the hatch) I also had to add about 8" to the two wires that bring the signal from the Alpine amp. No way they were long enough to work in a 3500 Longhorn. Other than that it fits real nice and the wiring all hides very well.
The 8" stock sub is very under powered. Used to EQ the Bass at like +5 and now I am at -1 with way more punch. Low end is now lower as well. Sounds pretty good to me! Definately big improvement.
Let me know if you have any questions if you haven't done it yet.

#7 ·
I have my Kicker sub at +5 and and volume 14 it's barely noticeable.

#9 ·
Yes. I have the alpine premium system.
The kicker sub is definitely louder then the alpine... but not by much

#12 ·
well i did install it, i will do a complet review latter on it with pictures, however i'm probably going to return it even if i did not pay for it,..

as far has the install,.. well when i got to the tapping the wire part,.. there are on my model with alpine system, a few wires that has the sames colors so i had to contact kicker to get which one i should use and it turns out its the third wire from each row, the green and brown and the gray and brown,

as far as the amp install on my model, the supply braket does not fit under the driver seats because there is already a plastique box and other stuff under it and there is no way that braket and amp would fit there

so i had to do a custom braket to make it fit and secure ,.. i actuaclly use one that already there and was use only to hold wire's, so now itMs holding the wires and the amp

now as far as the bass from the kicker, well if i listen to fm radio, it's louder, but if i listen to ipod i prefer the original 8" alpine bass, because i feel i can push it louder

i found that when i push the kicker to a loud level (with the ipod) the sound off the bass has a plastic sound, kind off a sound of a speaker that is max out vs the alpine i dont hear that

i other words, for the testing i put the bass level at max (9 i think) and i used the same song from the ipod to test out the two sub and with the volume at 21, the kicker sound like it was max out and did not sound good(bass was good but not the sound of it) vs the alpine i could bring it up to 26,..

so i will do some more testing when i'll have the time, maybe my kicker is deffective,.. but up to now i'm desapointed and i'm returning it

for the amp braket that does not fit under my driver seats,. kicker ask me for pictures and they are working with chrysler to find out why my truck has that plastic box, they said i'm only the 2nd costumer to let them know of this problem,

also with that kit, we do lose the ability to use the fold flat to make the floor even on the driver side, because it has to be removed

#13 ·
I'm currently in contact with Kicker in regards to the fitment under the seat and have given them pictures and other details

#17 ·
chrysler asked me to bring the truck in

they didnt beleive me that the braket didnt fit even do i sent them pictures,..

and know their approving it dosent fit but the dealer i brought it too didnt know what was that magical plastic box for

#19 ·
I think you're the only one

#20 ·
Thank you for posting this. I was at a loss with the wires until I came across this. 3rd wire from each row! Thanks.

QUOTE=crusher;1403013]well i did install it, i will do a complet review latter on it with pictures, however i'm probably going to return it even if i did not pay for it,..

as far has the install,.. well when i got to the tapping the wire part,.. there are on my model with alpine system, a few wires that has the sames colors so i had to contact kicker to get which one i should use and it turns out its the third wire from each row, the green and brown and the gray and brown,

as far as the amp install on my model, the supply braket does not fit under the driver seats because there is already a plastique box and other stuff under it and there is no way that braket and amp would fit there

so i had to do a custom braket to make it fit and secure ,.. i actuaclly use one that already there and was use only to hold wire's, so now itMs holding the wires and the amp

now as far as the bass from the kicker, well if i listen to fm radio, it's louder, but if i listen to ipod i prefer the original 8" alpine bass, because i feel i can push it louder

i found that when i pccush the kicker to a loud level (with the ipod) the sound off the bass has a plastic sound, kind off a sound of a speaker that is max out vs the alpine i dont hear that

i other words, for the testing i put the bass level at max (9 i think) and i used the same song from the ipod to test out the two sub and with the volume at 21, the kicker sound like it was max out and did not sound good(bass was good but not the sound of it) vs the alpine i could bring it up to 26,..

so i will do some more testing when i'll have the time, maybe my kicker is deffective,.. but up to now i'm desapointed and i'm returning it

for the amp braket that does not fit under my driver seats,. kicker ask me for pictures and they are working with chrysler to find out why my truck has that plastic box, they said i'm only the 2nd costumer to let them know of this problem,

also with that kit, we do lose the ability to use the fold flat to make the floor even on the driver side, because it has to be removed[/QUOTE]

#21 ·
Thank you for posting this. I was at a loss with the wires until I came across this. 3rd wire from each row! Thanks.

QUOTE=crusher;1403013]well i did install it, i will do a complet review latter on it with pictures, however i'm probably going to return it even if i did not pay for it,..

i found that when i pccush the kicker to a loud level (with the ipod) the sound off the bass has a plastic sound, kind off a sound of a speaker that is max out vs the alpine i dont hear that

also with that kit, we do lose the ability to use the fold flat to make the floor even on the driver side, because it has to be removed
[/QUOTE]

no problem :)

so do you think your kicker plays lounder than the original alpine?

I'm asking because mine dosent, one other member wrote that his kicker plays better so I'm a bit confused

#22 ·
Jury is still out on this.

The stock alpine is much cleaner. The kicker is louder but not in a good way. Two problems-- the kicker amp low pass is set at 200hz. Way, 2 much mid range bass that should be directed to the doors AND the enclosure is not filled with any Polly fill so you end up with flabby bass that frankly sounds like crap. A member on another forum suggested filling the box with polyfill and installing a passive low pass xover. I have ordered the parts and will report back with results and more detail if the changes yield improved sound.

Reactions: crusher
#23 ·
The stock alpine is much cleaner. The kicker is louder but not in a good way. Two problems-- the kicker amp low pass is set at 200hz. Way, 2 much mid range bass that should be directed to the doors AND the enclosure is not filled with any Polly fill so you end up with flabby bass that frankly sounds like crap. A member on another forum suggested filling the box with polyfill and installing a passive low pass xover. I have ordered the parts and will report back with results and more detail if the changes yield improved sound.
this is exactly what I thought about the kicker

I have contacted Chrysler and I'm in the process of returning it, maybe I will go with a aftermarket fit box and sub and amp

#24 ·
Quick update. I Stuffed the box with Polly fill and batting. Sound quality improved but honestly it was so bad before that I am still very disappointed. Next step is installing the low pass filter.. Will report back.

I did some more research and found something that may make you rethink going this route.

The sub used in this kicker upgrade is an inferior product. The sub alone retails for $69.00. The box it comes in is plastic and frankly no better than the stock box. The amp does not have any low or high pass and is pure juice with no way to dial it in or out. Kicker sells this for $400- 800 depending on where you buy it. It is a rip off. Do your research. Kicker is using the crappy version of the solo for this kit. Look it up on hifi electronics. Look at your sub then look at the rw10sq. Exact match. The real solo retails for 200-300. I bet if I switch out the subs the quality of sound would be where it should be in the first place. Rip off. Stay away from the kicker package. I am very disappointed.

#30 ·
I was considering the Kicker subwoofer upgrade but was pleasantly surprised at the quality of the sound from the Alpine sub.

I think I'll be sticking with the Alpine subwoofer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.