DODGE RAM FORUM banner

HELLLPPP!!! 2014 Air Suspension... Needs Suspension Lift!

26K views 75 replies 23 participants last post by  CrainDDC 
#1 ·
I just bought a 2014 Laramie 1500 Crew cab 4x4 with the Air ride Suspension, and I didn't realize that no one makes a suspension lift kit for it. :(

I thought I heard of someone removing the air suspension completely... but this seems like it would make the trucks computer system go haywire. Can you remove the factory air suspension with no issues? And what do I need to know to do this job? (or what does the shop need to know?)
Also... If removing the air suspension is possible... What is the largest lift I can get for my 2014 Ram 1500? And is the anything in the works for the factory air suspension lift kit?

Any and all help is really appreciated. Thanks in advance. :)

#2 ·
I'm pretty sure a few members here have lifted their trucks with the air suspension. Like you said it has to be removed and replaced with a coil over suspension lift. I know people have done it with the bds 6" coil over lift. That would prob be your best option. If you wanted it higher than that you could raise the coil overs and add rear spacers or think about a body lift. Coil over lifts are much more expensive than your average suspension lift, but that's your only option with the air suspension and you get what you pay for so with the coil over system you will get a superior ride.

#5 ·
Thanks everyone! And LOL @ Macc08... Yeah, I guess "need" wasn't the word, but WANTS is. Lol!
Does anyone know how to find LEON? Is there a directory here in the forum?
I just need to find out if there is going to be any complications with the computer system/electrical. It's a bummer that I spent an extra $2000 for the air ride system that I'm not even going to use. :(

#12 ·
Ahh I think because looking up a members threads like that is technically a "search" function on the forum it times out after a bit. So after a few minutes the link would no longer work. First time I've posted up a link to a list of a users threads like that so I didn't think about that happening. :doh:

Anyways, Canadian Hemi Pride obviously helped you out with the link to his lift thread. I know there is another member or two who has done the same thing. If I come across them or remember their name I'll post it up here for you.

#16 ·
Hey Leons,
Sorry, I wrote out a message to you, but I cannot find it in my outbox/sent, so apparently it did not go through. Anyhow... Thank you for replying to this thread!
As you may have already read... I mistakenly bought a 2014 Ram Laramie with the factory air ride suspension, not knowing that nobody makes a suspension lift for these. So I am going to remove the air suspension and install a lift kit ($2000 factory option down the drain :( ).
Do you happen to know the largest suspension lift they make for these?
Is BDS the only lift kit that I can install on these?
Do you have any computer glitches/problems after removing the air suspension?
And how hard is it to remove the air suspension and install the lift kit?
Thanks in advance,
Kahn

BTW... Your truck looks sweet! I can't wait to get mine lifted like yours.

#17 ·
Hello Kahn,

I was in exactly the same boat.. I know how you feel! I also did not realize that a factory airsuspension RAM could not be lifted... (3.000 Euro down the drain!!...) and still can't be lifted... and there probably never will be a serious liftkit for the factory airride.. You will have to remove it, I'll try to explain why: RAM made the different ride height modes for the factory airride speed dependant with good reason: put the truck in offroad 2 mode, stand in front of it and look at the allignment of you're wheels, they are completly off. The same goes for the lower than "normal ride height" modes.. This is a little issue at lower speeds and short distance but a BIG issue at higher speeds and longer distances ... it wil destroy you're tires in no time.. that is why the truck gets back to "normal ride height" once you exceed a certain speed. The truck is only properly alligned in "normal ride height"

Now.. I posted a "trix-workaround" a few months ago... for the die hard only...

* THIS IS ON YOU'RE OWN RISK!!!
* set truck in desired ride height
* remove the airsuspension Multi connector
* done :smileup:
* REALLIGN YOU'RE FRONT WHEELS WITH THE NEW HEIGHT!!!
* I tried this in offroad 2 mode for 2000 miles.. no issues...

No computer errors, just an "airsuspension service" warning at startup
If you put the connector back in it wil function as new

The 9-wire multi-connector is on the passenger side, behind the rear wheel, up under the bed.

In this way the truck is locked at the desired height and you have to reallign it to that height or you destroy you're tires.... but to be honest... it is not the way to go.. it is merely a proof of how desperatly frustrated I was to get the truck lifted...

So what I did was I removed the airsuspension altogether...

There are no computer hitches, just one (1 second) warning when you start the engine, it says: "airsuspension service required" that's it... that said... I have a 2013 RAM I don't know about the 2014 but I expect no difference... to be shure you could try by unconnecting the Multi connector as discribed above in the workaround... It should give you the same warning at startup and than shut up...

Removing the airsuspension struts is no harder than removing the traditional suspension... they are bolted on the same way... there are just the 4 connectors and 4 height sensors to unplug...

I left the pressure tanks and compressor of the airsuspension in place, they are mounted under the bed. I just removed the airsuspension struts on the 4 corners.

Once the 4 airsuspension struts were removed the 6" BDS coilover liftkit fitted perfect I had to do NO modfications so apart from the airsuspension struts the truck is the same as a traditional suspension truck.. wich makes sense... RAM designed the airsupension struts to fit the truck they alraedy had... not the other way around...

This makes the modification perfectly reversable... not that I ever want that!

The biggest lift you asked... hmmm there are others on this forum that are more knowledgable than me in this regard.. but I fitted the 6"BDS coilover liftkit with 5" inch rear coils... mostly this kit is fitted with 3"rear coils... in effect I had to raise the front by an extra 2 inch.. wich makes it an 8" lift I guess... I'm not aware of any liftkit with more than 8" of lift. The extra 2" lift in the front is easily possible with the fox coilovers, it has a preload adjustment ring that can be adjusted...

An extra body lift is probably the way to go if you want to lift even higher..

I believe procomp also makes an coilover liftkit... I'm pretty shure there are others... I have no experience with them... from my own experience with the BDS kit... perfect! precision bolt on.. no issues, super sturdy.. and a great ride! I would choose no other...

Sorry for my bad english, I hope the message comes across..

met de vriendelijke groeten,
cheers,
Leon

#19 ·
... and there probably never will be a serious liftkit for the factory airride.. You will have to remove it, I'll try to explain why: RAM made the different ride height modes for the factory airride speed dependant with good reason: put the truck in offroad 2 mode, stand in front of it and look at the allignment of you're wheels, they are completly off. The same goes for the lower than "normal ride height" modes.. This is a little issue at lower speeds and short distance but a BIG issue at higher speeds and longer distances ... it wil destroy you're tires in no time.. that is why the truck gets back to "normal ride height" once you exceed a certain speed. The truck is only properly alligned in "normal ride height"
Thanks, That's a really good point/tip, never thought about the alignment when using the air ride.

rod

#21 · (Edited)
Ram Limited Air Suspension -

I have been in the same boat as many of you and unsure about how happy I was with the air suspension on my new Limited. While it rides GREAT, I really wanted my 4X4 to look, well… like a 4X4. I couldn't take it anymore and decided to scrap the factory tires for some off road tires. WELL, what a difference it made! I am so much happier with the looks and it still rides great. I know there is a PA body lift for trucks with the air-suspension but I didn't want to waste the money on something I would'nt be happy with. Supposedly the body-lift looks really good with factory running bars. But would only 3" be enough? Now I am convinced that it will be just perfect. These are 33" Nitto Trail Grapplers. Once I get the 3" PA lift I will go to 35" Nitto Tires and I am convinced that it will look awesome.

#26 ·
I have been in the same boat as many of you and unsure about how happy I was with the air suspension on my new Limited. While it rides GREAT, I really wanted my 4X4 to look, well… like a 4X4. I couldn't take it anymore and decided to scrap the factory tires for some off road tires. WELL, what a difference it made! I am so much happier with the looks and it still rides great. I know there is a PA body lift for trucks with the air-suspension but I didn't want to waste the money on something I would'nt be happy with. Supposedly the body-lift looks really good with factory running bars. But would only 3" be enough? Now I am convinced that it will be just perfect. These are 33" Nitto Trail Grapplers. Once I get the 3" PA lift I will go to 35" Nitto Tires and I am convinced that it will look awesome.
3" PA will work and give you the clearance you want to run 35's.
Guys with 2.5" level fit it, but IMO it looks stuffed, the additional 1/2" will be sweet
You will need spacers to run the 35" to push your stock wheels out a tad and I do love the stock wheels on the limited models.

Need the Body lift, let me know
sales@bullysperformance.com

Gosh this was painful!!! The Picture Process isn't so easy.
Set up a FREE photobucket account and make your life easier...lol

Normal Drive Height Selected, but still no rubbing at all. Be careful trying to power slide the rear around these suckers hook up!!
Pictures look killer :smileup:

#25 · (Edited)
Gosh this was painful!!! The Picture Process isn't so easy.

Looks awesome man! What exact size grapplers did you go with? 295/55/20? - **NEVERMIND - I SEE IT FROM THE PICS NOW THAT I LOOK CLOSER!**

They look like the stick out a tiny bit further than stock. Any issues with slinging mud, rocks, road grit, etc down the side of the truck?

I want to go up, but definitely want to stay tucked in as possible.

Thanks!

#27 ·
Placed an order for the 3" body lift, OEM fender flares, and a Trinity Programmer from Heifever. Thanks Bully's I placed the order before I saw your post. I let the local off road shop order it for me. I will post more pics when it is lifted. I'm pretty excited. Those Tires will be for sale next week if anyone is interested, they only have like 150 miles. I'm going to order 35's like I should have done in the first place.

#28 ·
Sparky, thanks for the love. No problems so far slinging rocks. If you went with LT285/55R20 E 122Q they are an inch narrower and I am sure you absolutely wouldn't have any problems. I'm thinking 295/65R20 would be cool after the lift. They are VERY slightly narrower also.

#29 ·
3" PA Lift

Got the 3" body lift installed today and it looks SWEET with the 33"s. Also put on a Raceland e-cutout and a hemifever trinity tune. When I picked it up from the shop that did the lift (for a reasonable $1200) I noticed that the exhaust looked awful. Little did I know that are friends at MoPar hooked us up with a little ball joint on the exhaust tips that allowed me to raise them to the PERFECT location to fit the lifted bumper. If you are on the fence about a PA lift for your air-ride truck then know that you won't be disappointed. No extra parts or labor was needed to make it look and drive great. Just a wrench for the ball joint exhaust and everything is GREAT. Looks and drives great with the fully-functioning +-2" from the air-ride suspension. Props to Texas Offroad and Performance (in Manvel Texas) for their expertise and confidence to make me feel great about the project. I would definitely go back.

#30 ·
Got the 3" body lift installed today and it looks SWEET with the 33"s. Also put on a Raceland e-cutout and a hemifever trinity tune. When I picked it up from the shop that did the lift (for a reasonable $1200) I noticed that the exhaust looked awful. Little did I know that are friends at MoPar hooked us up with a little ball joint on the exhaust tips that allowed me to raise them to the PERFECT location to fit the lifted bumper. If you are on the fence about a PA lift for your air-ride truck then know that you won't be disappointed. No extra parts or labor was needed to make it look and drive great. Just a wrench for the ball joint exhaust and everything is GREAT. Looks and drives great with the fully-functioning +-2" from the air-ride suspension. Props to Texas Offroad and Performance (in Manvel Texas) for their expertise and confidence to make me feel great about the project. I would definitely go back.
Got pics to share of the truck with installed body lift and the muffler adjustment?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.