DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Go back to the STOCK INTAKE?

4K views 20 replies 15 participants last post by  cableman 
#1 ·
I have a 2011 Ram 1500 with the 5.7L. About a year an a half ago I installed a K&N air intake. I recently got a boat and when towing it the bark of this intake is just crazy loud. I'm also worried about my warranty if god forbid something happens. I did also notice when I'm in 2-3 gear and put my foot down it goes up to about 5k RPM and drops like 400-500 then goes back up all while I have my foot on the gas. Anybody encounter this? Would it be that difficult to switch back? Opinions is greatly appreciated!

#2 ·
Don't think that your intake is causing that bud. Ypu can always go back to stock with a good drop in tho to make sure

#4 ·
i bet your k&n is open filter ? if so you could sell it and get a closed box like a volant?

#5 ·
I went back to my stock box and used a volant fast fit tube with it and a drop in k&n. Not only do I like the looks betters, I think it performs better than an open element filter.

#8 ·
A fast fit tube intake from Volant is $160. Drop in K&N is about $55. Thats $215 you spent on an intake regardless. Not sure how that will help anyone make a decision about an intake when you can get an enclosed intake for less than 1/3 more price.

#10 ·
Vararam has the most direct flow essentially.. Pulls air in from the front of the grill. Supposed to be the coolest as well but I wonder about that a little. S&B makes a good enclosed solution that fits in the stock air box that a lot of people are liking as well.

K&N I would skip as I believe it is worse than factory due to the amount of hot air its sucking in from the engine bay (or any open solution for that matter). All in all, you wont see gains with just an intake.

#11 ·
I used the volant fast fit intake for awhile. The stock air box is great. The stock intake tube is not. So i reinstalled the factory airbox and used the straight flowing volant tube. I can always go back to an open air filter setup if i want. I didn't waste any money. I have the ability to run an open filter intake, a stock setup, or a modified stock setup with a drop in K&N. I have the best of all worlds. My advice is used a modified version of the stock intake, so yes this advice could help someone make some sort of decision if they are on the fence. Spending $350 on an intake is retarded. P.S. my truck ran an 8.70 in the 1/8th with said stock modified intake.

#12 ·
This is what I did. See the attachment.

Attachments

#13 ·
Has nobody here actually TESTED the results of various intakes?

I have yet to modify (may or may not ever do it) my 14 Ram Laramie.
But have been considering an intake for a bit more burly sound and a bit more power, if they so indeed give the truck more power.

Lots of people seem to be reporting, "I can definitely feel more power."
99% of the time, this is a placebo affect, especially if the sound of the engine has increased, it will sound louder and faster and may in fact not be.

Furthermore, as a person who has tuned and tested many, many cars over the past two decades or so, I can also tell you, in a 5500-5900 lbs truck with 390-395 hp
YOU WILL NOT FEEL a 10 hp increase.

Add 10 hp in a 4 banger in a 2800 lbs car and yes you will feel it.
But in the size and power of these stock trucks?
That's like saying when you put a couple bags of mulch in the back you can feel the truck is slower.

So, has anybody actually TESTED the trucks with various intakes in one or more of the following 3 ways:

1. Dyno test on the same dyne and preferably the same day (or on a day with similar temps, humidity, atmospheric pressure). Post dyno chart.
This can be tricky with CAI's however. And you need to do it right.
So often I see people at dynos, testing their cars with the hoods up.
When you use a CAI, especially an open air element, this is giving it an unfair advantage.
The closed element intake has no difference whether hood is up or closed, as the only air coming in, comes in through the intake slot in grill or wheel well.
With a open element CAI, if you test with the hood open, it's getting air into the intake that it would not get if the hood was down, like when you are driving!
Also, you need to make sure you are at a dyno that has REALLY GOOD fans. No weak little fans. When you dyno test, it's usually in 4th gear and that means the wheels are turning what's equivalent to triple digit speeds by the end of the dyno run.
They need fans that will blow air into the grill and front of the car that will replicate triple digit winds.

2. At a drag strip (but here, launching each time varies so this is a bit difficult to replicate and remove driver error in launches.

3. The best way is with a VBox (which I have used for years to test my cars) and go out on a road (same road each time, same direction each time) and do rolling runs.
Set it to time two different speeds, like 20-60 mph times and 50-90 mph times.
Then go out on the designated road, start at a slow roll of 5 mph, mash the gas.
Let it be fully auto.
Do this at least 3 times on the same section of road, with at least 5 minutes cool down in between runs.
Swap out intake.
Go to that same road again and repeat test.

Record the times of each.
Average the times of each set of 3 runs.
See if intake actually did lower your times.
If it did, you got more power.
If it didn't, it's all sound.

If I order a CAI I will do just that. But its surprising nobody here has and everyone just seems to speculate.

#15 ·
Are you able to buy the volant tube or any tube that will be better then stock separately? Part numbers?? Thanks

#17 ·
Look up the Legmaker Mid Tube.

#16 ·
not sure if any other tube will work. Already had the volant intake so I tried the tube from it and it worked. I'm not sure if you can by the volant tube only. I like the aesthetics of the factory air box and I def feel like there is less heat soak.

#18 ·
I would love to see some numbers on these intakes and the bored TB's. The stock boxes on these rams are already pretty large. I don't understand how Larger intake or/and a bored TB are supposed to add power when nothing has been done to rest of the engine. About the only thing I can kinda understand is ram air setup, And even then limited.

#19 ·
I have something similar to the bhaf mod that is popular among the cummins owners on my truck and it works very well. I have noticed my temp gauge is slightly lower at operating temperatures. I just dremeled around where the intake hose connects to airbox, got a 3" 90degree PVC bend, then clamped on the biggest aem dry flow filter you can buy. It sounds pretty mean under wot and is still in the factory box. Total cost was only about $70 for the filter plus PVC.

#21 ·
My old chevy avalanche had a volant set up which was real nice, the drone was unbearable while towing! I stuck the stock tube on which had some baffles on it but left the cold air box, worked much better. On my 08 ram i just dropped in an afe pro dry filter and couldnt be happier! Some times i think too much of these bolt on things can hinder performance!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.