DODGE RAM FORUM banner

8-Speed Tranny 2013, 2014

15K views 50 replies 31 participants last post by  tonyd399 
#1 ·
Are the much posted problems with the 8-speed transmission unique to the 2014 model? Did the 2013 have similar problems?

#5 ·
I think the problems he's referring to is the 2 to 1 downshift that it seems a bunch of people are having, but that's all I know of and I don't know if I'd call it a problem, maybe more of an annoying thing to some people. I have the 2013 Ram Pentastar with the 8 speed, I occasionally get the 2 to 1 hard downshift but it seems to only be when the trans is cold after just leaving the driveway, but its only once in a while. Overall I'd say this trans is fantastic, shifts very smoothly and drastically increases MPGs. I have 26k on my truck and no complaints.

#6 ·
Prolly talking about the 2-1 bump and thread about people think there 1-2 shift has slippage. My truck does the 1-2 extended shift thing. Mostly on cold days it doesn't shift to 2nd right away. RPMs will climb over 2000 rpms before it will shift on light acceleration. Definitely not slippage, just the trans staying in 1st longer than what you usually get. Something in the software telling the trans not to shift as soon when the tranny is cold. I think people are used to the old transmissions that always had the same shift patterns. These 8 speeds have multiple shift patterns. Seems to me like just software issues with these new transmissions, have not really heard much else.

#9 ·
I'm pretty sure the thread about "slippage" is just owners not being familiar with their trucks. More specifically, the fact that the truck will delay shifts until it gets up to operating temperature.

A complete non-issue

#11 ·
It is very clear to me that the "slippage" problem is not the same as the "hard downshift 2-1" problem. Based on what I have seen on the board, it seems to me that only a few people have had the "slippage", while a majority of 2014 8-speeds, V6 or hemi, all have the "hard downshift" problem. I recall one person reporting that he test drove all or most of the 8-speeds on a dealer lot, and most of them had the "hard downshift". I certainly do, and it is not getting any better at 900 miles. I had noticed the problem during a test drive, but the salesman said it was because the vehicle had just arrived at the dealership, and they would normally not let a customer try it before subjecting it to their own driving that was supposed to train the software and make the problem go away. A few days later I went by ready to buy, subject to a new test drive. During that test drive I was under the impression that to make the problem show up, I would need to accelerate and the brake abruptly. That is what I did, repeatedly, and saw no sign of the problem. I bought the truck, and soon found that the problem occurs when slowing down very gradually. It seems like the computer uses a shifting program that stays in 2nd until the speed is almost nothing, then goes to 1st with a jerk severe enough that passengers notice and comment. My gut sense tells me that it is also abrupt enough to cause damage to the transmission hardware long term. It doesn't happen every time, even if the rate of slowing down appears to be about the same. Many times it does not happen during the first couple of miles of driving, but the comes on after warmup. Driving a long stretch of freeway seems to encourage the problem to happen right after I get off the freeway. The dealer's service manager told me to come back if the problem doesn't disappear within 5000 miles. Some people have said that the problem goes away faster if they drive with haul/tow mode on. I have used that mode only for a day or two. It very much reduces the problem when that mode is on, and I don't know whether keeping it on for weeks or months would fix the problem as seen when I go back to regular mode. One issue is that you have to push the button every time you start the truck in order to keep tow/haul on.

In summary, this is a serious problem affecting lots of people, and diagnosing it is particularly difficult because of the software changing shift patterns on its own. I strongly agree with the originating person's desire to know whether the problem was the same on the 13's, as knowing that may give a clue to what is going on.

#24 ·
In summary, this is a serious problem affecting lots of people, and diagnosing it is particularly difficult because of the software changing shift patterns on its own. I strongly agree with the originating person's desire to know whether the problem was the same on the 13's, as knowing that may give a clue to what is going on.
Not really, you just don't know how it works. Stop worrying about it and move on. Nothing to see here folks.

#14 ·
My 2013 with 23,000km and 8spd, no issue.
My work truck with 4000km and 8spd, tossed its transmission and I drove it like my own...my new work truck is a 2014 also.

#15 · (Edited)
Just curious if anyone with the issue has put in Amsoil Fluid?

I had a Duramax with Allison tranny running DEXRON 6 and got tired of the truck moving when dropping into reverse and also shuttering, pushing. Putting in Amsoil Torque-Drive which was the recommended fluid for the Allison was of the best things I ever did for that truck. In two hundred miles, the tranny was basically issue free.

Not saying Amsoil is the cure, but if I had the issue, I would definitely try Amsoil just because it worked for me in my GM truck.

#17 ·
I've owned and driven a ton of vehicles of every brand. The 8 speed is the best auto trans I have ever driven by a HUGE margin. This was a very expensive trans. But this was the smartest thing that Chrysler ever did. I have a hemi in my Cerokee with the old 6 speed and my Ram drives so much better and feels so much stronger.

#20 ·
Here is a cronology of events pertaining to my 8 speed transmission:

3/23/14
When the truck transmission is cold the 2-1 down shift is very smooth. Only after it reaches normal operating temperature does it clunk on a 2-1 down shift. From the beginning this was the pattern. I now have 1058 miles on the truck and I am noticing that the clunk is not happening every time even at operating temperature. Several times I have said to my wife "did you notice that, it didn't clunk". She notices it also. I have hopes that it will finally smooth out for good. Other than this problem I think the truck is great.

4/19/14
My RAM is up to about 1400 miles and the 2-1 downshift thump still happens but it is a very lite thump now as opposed to the very heavy thump when it was new. If I coast down there is a lite thump but not every time. If I moderately stop with breaking there is no thump. I never hear a thump until the transmission gets up to normal operating temperature.

5/21/14
I now have 4089 miles on my RAM. I just completed a 2000 mile round trip pulling a 6x10' 1500# utility trailer. My 2-1 downshift clunk is GONE! That's my story and I'm stickin to it. Hurray!!!
Truck did great on the trip. Average for the whole trip was 16.3 mpg. Lots of long hills. Cruse set on 70 most of the time.

6/9/14
I'm very convinced that working the transmission hard sure cures the 2-1 clunk in my case. I previously posted that my clunk was gone after the 2000 mile trip pulling my utility trailer in tow/haul mode. I just put another 900 miles on it in tow/haul mode pulling my much heavier travel trailer. The engine and transmission performed like a champ. I now have 5242 miles on it.

#28 ·
Here is a cronology of events pertaining to my 8 speed transmission:

3/23/14
When the truck transmission is cold the 2-1 down shift is very smooth. Only after it reaches normal operating temperature does it clunk on a 2-1 down shift. From the beginning this was the pattern. I now have 1058 miles on the truck and I am noticing that the clunk is not happening every time even at operating temperature. Several times I have said to my wife "did you notice that, it didn't clunk". She notices it also. I have hopes that it will finally smooth out for good. Other than this problem I think the truck is great.

4/19/14
My RAM is up to about 1400 miles and the 2-1 downshift thump still happens but it is a very lite thump now as opposed to the very heavy thump when it was new. If I coast down there is a lite thump but not every time. If I moderately stop with breaking there is no thump. I never hear a thump until the transmission gets up to normal operating temperature.

5/21/14
I now have 4089 miles on my RAM. I just completed a 2000 mile round trip pulling a 6x10' 1500# utility trailer. My 2-1 downshift clunk is GONE! That's my story and I'm stickin to it. Hurray!!!
Truck did great on the trip. Average for the whole trip was 16.3 mpg. Lots of long hills. Cruse set on 70 most of the time.

6/9/14
I'm very convinced that working the transmission hard sure cures the 2-1 clunk in my case. I previously posted that my clunk was gone after the 2000 mile trip pulling my utility trailer in tow/haul mode. I just put another 900 miles on it in tow/haul mode pulling my much heavier travel trailer. The engine and transmission performed like a champ. I now have 5242 miles on it.
Your first two paragraphs are pretty close to how my transmission is shifting. But I disagree that everyone should have to run around in the tow/haul mode to get it to shift properly. I have just over 2600 miles on my Ram now and I find this 2 to 1 down shift very annoying.

#21 ·
We got a Lexus IS350FSport the same week as my new RAM. It has an 8 speed tranny as well and it has taken some time to learn the driving habits. It also had a rough 2-1 downshift at first which has since gone away.

People need to chill out and try to understand how these engines/trannys work these days and how "smart" these computers are.

#22 ·
Yep... as other have said... great trans, and most people are just use to an old "Slush box". This is computer controlled, and locks the converter quick. Also... first and second, are lower than the average 5~6 speed, so it can feel like a slip, when the truth is... it's just holding a gear, and you haven't given it enough throttle to get past the RPM it's looking for.

Also, as above... the 2-1 shift is normal since it stays locked, and you are feeling a down shift.

The only thing I feel is strange... sometimes when I go around a slow, right-hand corner... I can tell that the converter unlocked... but then re-locks slow. (over 1~2 seconds) I know it's the computer basically feathering the clutch in the converter, to smooth things out. But I have tested it... and if you mash the throttle down... it locks up quick, and even down shifts to get you what you are looking for.

But as most have said... it's a great trans, with a proven record, in cars costing upward of half-mill $$.

#26 ·
I am sorry but I completely disagree with you about the 2 to 1 down shift being normal. When I can feel the clunk and everyone at a stop intersection can hear it and looks at the truck that is not normal.

The fact is Chrysler has a problem with this issue and they need to step up to the plate and fix it.

This is coming from someone who has own nothing but Ram trucks since 1996.

I am not the only one who feels this way.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.