DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 4TH Generation Dodge Ram 2009+ Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > 3.6L (220 cu in) Pentastar V6 Specific Topics

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 12-18-2013, 05:39 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2013 ram 1500
Trim Level: Bighorn Package
Color: mineral Grey
Engine: 2013-20?? 220ci (3.6L) Pentastar 305hp 269lb/ft
Rep:10
dagrizzvtx is on a distinguished road
Default Cold start Issues

Opdate:
sorry for delay had truck back to dealer for cold start issue and radio and noise in front end.

They claim they found nothing wrong on cold start, or why radio keeps stopping, blacking out locking up, or what the clunk is even though they hear it.

So I get in truck, touch screen is laid out differently, now has touch control for mirror dimming and no more lock up. No cold start issues even at 12 deg F and clunk is gone. I can understand the clunk due to cold weather, but change software and say nothing was found wrong. Go figure.

So all in all radio has not given me any issues in three weeks, no cold start issues and no clunk, so Im happy with those issues being resolved one way or another. ( btw same gas same gas station and no injector cleaner added )

Soon another thread on the make believe electronic posi rear what a joke
Old 01-20-2014, 08:30 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT Crew Cab 4x4
Color: White
Rep:11
gmcvb is on a distinguished road

I am having the same issue...The kicker here is I have had much colder days and had no issue starting it -15 Celsius but started having this issue on Friday which was much warmer. Taking it into the dealer tomorrow, I have had the new system flash months ago.

Lets see what they say.
Old 01-22-2014, 01:08 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Trim Level: SLT Crew Cab 4x4
Color: White
Rep:11
gmcvb is on a distinguished road

So I got an update for all of you that are experiencing this similar issue. I got my truck back yesterday and low and behold they actually seemed to fix the problem by sorry if I am wrong put they had an update PCN or PCM flash that they were able to find on there service database.

The f%#*ing truck actually started today without this issue and its -26 celsius today so I was impressed
Old 01-27-2014, 11:16 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 3.6L
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Black
tomcat is on a distinguished road

I started having the same starting problem last Friday. I just filled up the gas tank on Thursday so I thought it might be bad fuel. Vehicle won't start with remote then message appears stating remote start has been disable. Then when I attempt to start with key, it has to crank for about 10 seconds, followed by sputtering for another 10 seconds. Really frustrated to have this issue with a new truck. Does anyone know what the issue is or if there is a bulletin? I'm just dreading taking this thing to the dealer to hear them that they can't find anything wrong.

Also, I just had my radio replaced after getting the blue screen of death.

Last edited by tomcat; 01-27-2014 at 11:22 PM.
Old 02-01-2014, 08:28 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 3.6L
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Black
tomcat is on a distinguished road

Update: Just got my truck back from the dealer. Service rep said there was a lot of ethanol in the fuel and recommended switching to 87 gasoline in cold weather. I replied that I've never ran E85 in the truck. They also updated PCM to newest software under TSB 18-035-13 and now truck starts great with the same fuel.

My thought is there may be an issue with ethanol-blend gasoline in cold weather with the older PCM software.
Old 02-02-2014, 09:37 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Trim Level: Tradesman
Color: Silver
mudde34 is on a distinguished road

2013 V6 4x4 here with same problem but it's only occurred once.

I figured it was just water in the fuel. I started the vehicle normally in the morning (~10 deg F) and drove to work - I live fairly close to work so it never reaches full operating temp. After being parked all day (temp went to nearly 35 deg F) I left work and barely got it started... it cranked fine but idled very rough (like only 3 or 4 cylinders were on) and after 20 or so seconds it ran normally. I drove off with it operating normally - no messages in the message center either. Weird.

I drove right to the dealer since I pass it on the way home, and looked like a fool explaining how it would crank but not start. It, naturally, started right up without an issue when the service writer came out. After reading this thread, I'll suggest they look to see if it is in need of a firmware update if it happens again.

LOL on the 318 starting issues. My dad had a new Dodge Warlock in the mid 70's that vapor locked at all temps over 70 deg F but I think it had a 360. Then he had late two more no-starting-for-you's: a '79 318 Ramcharger and a '78 318 Plymouth Fury. I thought rough starting was a feature of all Dodge/Plymouths.
Old 02-03-2014, 09:45 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2013 RAM1500 QUAD 4x4 3.21rear
Trim Level: tradesman
Color: black
fishin4ladyz is on a distinguished road

Just got the pcm flash for mine today. We will see if it helps. I guess there was a note on the TSB stating that the computer was reading the outside temperature incorrectly, thus not providing the correct fuel air mix at certain temperatures. Hope this fixes mine. Time will tell. Same issues as you guys, remote start not starting truck, long crank with key, rough idle after it fires up, no codes. Very intermittent. My dealer believed me about the issue and didn't try to reproduce it. He looked through the updates/tsbs right away and did the flash and never wanted to see the video I got of it doing this. Now to get the loud start up whine fixed. Also intermittent, only about once a week on a cold start up under 32 degrees f. They want me to leave the truck there for as long as it takes till they reproduce the whine.
Old 02-17-2014, 09:12 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2014 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Sport Quad
Color: silver
mechtech is on a distinguished road

There is a reflash for the Hemi.If you plugged in the block heater during the cold weather and started the truck with the remote,it would trigger a check engine code and disable the remote start.If you didn't plug the block heater in,no problem.It had something to do with the warm coolant triggering an engine misfire code.The reflash delays the sensors enough to cure the misfire code.The reflash cured the problem on my truck.