DODGE RAM FORUM banner

How To - Upper Glove Box - 4th Gen

50K views 55 replies 38 participants last post by  GiJoeFontaine 
#1 · (Edited)
OK guys I am new here, but a week ago I bought a 2012 Ram 1500 Express 4X4 and the first thing I wanted to do was utilize the upper glove box and the Uconnect USB plug for my ipod. Here is my how-to:

First the parts:
4565022: Switch – glove box
1NM00BD3AA – Door – glove box
68050731AA – striker – glove box
1SF291DVAC – glove box
And some tools you’ll need:
Screwdriver (with some small screws)
7mm socket and driver
Trim Removal Tool (highly recommended to not scratch your dash)

The Beginning
Vehicle Car Automotive exterior

Step One: Remove lower glove box by opening and pushing in on sides.

Step Two: Unscrew upper glove box screw:
Bumper Automotive exterior Auto part

Step Three: Use trim removal tool to take out upper box
Vehicle Car Vehicle door Automotive exterior

Step four: Line up upper box door and screw in place. This will take some time. I recommend taking a good look at how it lines up and take your time in order to not break anything.

Vehicle Auto part Car Technology Electronic device

Step Five: Install light and latch

Vehicle door Finger Hand Lock Electronic device

Step Six: Find UConnect and light plugs in the dash and hook them up. I highly recommend hooking up the light first then the USB.

Vehicle Auto part Car Center console Vehicle audio

Step Seven: Put lower box in place and screw in place.

Step Eight: Step back and enjoy the professional job you just did.
Vehicle Car Automotive tire Tire Luxury vehicle

That is about all I've got you for guys. Maybe I just wasted an hour posting this and someone has done it before but I couldn't find it. Anyway love my Ram and this website rocks so I figured I'd give a little something back.

Todd

See less See more
#11 ·
OK guys I am new here, but a week ago I bought a 2012 Ram 1500 Express 4X4 and the first thing I wanted to do was utilize the upper glove box and the Uconnect USB plug for my ipod. Here is my how-to:

First the parts:
4565022: Switch – glove box
1NM00BD3AA – Door – glove box
68050731AA – striker – glove box
1SF291DVAC – glove box
And some tools you’ll need:
Screwdriver (with some small screws)
7mm socket and driver
Trim Removal Tool (highly recommended to not scratch your dash)

The Beginning
View attachment 28108
Step One: Remove lower glove box by opening and pushing in on sides.

Step Two: Unscrew upper glove box screw:
View attachment 28109

Step Three: Use trim removal tool to take out upper box
View attachment 28110

Step four: Line up upper box door and screw in place. This will take some time. I recommend taking a good look at how it lines up and take your time in order to not break anything.

View attachment 28111

Step Five: Install light and latch

View attachment 28112

Step Six: Find UConnect and light plugs in the dash and hook them up. I highly recommend hooking up the light first then the USB.

View attachment 28113

Step Seven: Put lower box in place and screw in place.

Step Eight: Step back and enjoy the professional job you just did.
View attachment 28114

That is about all I've got you for guys. Maybe I just wasted an hour posting this and someone has done it before but I couldn't find it. Anyway love my Ram and this website rocks so I figured I'd give a little something back.

Todd
Yes , thanks for the info , I am now looking into doing this upgrade!

#15 ·
just did the install today. ups delivered the parts about noon, I gathered my tools, went to the hardware store ( for the metric screws and 7mm socket that I didn't have) and an hour later I was smiling at how good it looked !

thanks to everyone that has posted about this mod !!
pete :)

#18 · (Edited)
Thanks for this info. I just received and installed my parts yesterday. I have a 2012 Ram Express 4x4, apparently without Uconnect, and no USB in the harness. The glove box went in very quickly. You can easily splice the light into the 12V accessory port wiring, but it is hot and safer to remove the battery ground when doing this. No need for a plastic pry bar, just remove the single screw in the back/lower section of the existing box, reach behind it, and pull it straight forward.

#20 · (Edited)
I did this mod several months ago on my Express RC. If you have Uconnect then the USB lead will be tape to the main wiring harness around where the radio is located (left of the glove box) otherwise it won't be there.

The glove box light harness is to the left of the glove box too but is not taped to the main harness.

Attachments

#21 ·
I am about to do this and I am curious of total cost. Can anyone help me out?

#22 ·
I believe that you will find that all the radios have Uconnect, or at least the option to have uconnect

I also believe that the radios have a place at the back of the radio, to add a USB cable

It is easy enough to find out
remove 2 screws in the tray above the radio
now pry easily on the plastic piece, ( bezel ) that surrounds the radio, it will come out fairly easily, lay it in your lap
Now remove the 4 screws that hold in the radio, pull gently on the radio, now look at the back of the radio
you should see the mini USB port to insert the cable in
i suggest that you get a cable that is longer then needed

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYa4pFjZSts

#23 ·
Wow! That radio comes out easy. I thought it would be much more labor. That's god to know in the future! :)

#29 ·
Hi all. Good thread. I stumbled upon it searching for how to connect my Ipod/Iphone to my head unit. I wondering what the USB connection is for also. Are you all saying that i can plug my Ipod into this? Could i control it from the head unit? Or is it just like plugging it into the Aux jack?

#30 ·
Upper Glove Box Color

Hey tr,

I was wondering if you could give me some help with nailing down the door you got for your conversion. Did you receive a beige door when you ordered and if so, what was the part number?

I have ordered 3 so far, and none of them match.

Yours seems like the 2-tone light beige and gray I have on my ST. If you can confirm that it would be great.

I ordered 1NM00BD3AA for the upper door, but can't seem to get the right door.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Chris

#33 ·
Sure thing !

As it turns out I had ordered the correct parts, they just look different out of the truck. Once installed, everything looked great....and works even better. I now have the new upper door, USB input and light...as well as adding the carbon filter and a new mygig touchscreen radio. Everything was plug and play.

If anyone has questions about the install, please message me !

Thanks,

Chris

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.