DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Projector foglight problems... help

1K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  MS520 
#1 ·
I got a set of projector fog lights for my '08 ram in March. When I got them in the mail and opened it, all it came with was the housing, a set of bulbs, and the harness to connect into the factory plug. No instruction of course.

The harness wasn't connected to the bulb. It has a black wire and a blue/yellow wire with female plugs that connect right onto the blub(h7). I wasnt sure if the bulb has positive.negative specific tabs so I just guessed and it worked the first time. I did the same thing to the other side and was done. They both worked fine and looked great.

Fast forward about three months to the other night. I was driving home from work and the passanger side fog light goes out. I think that the bulb as just burnt out and no big deal. About 10 minutes later the driver side goes out. Again, I think that its just a burnt out blub... I must have just gotten a crappy set of bulbs to begin with so I'll just go buy a set.

I get out today to change the bulbs and when I get under the truck to look, I realize that the black wire that I connected to the bulb is fried. On both the left and the right.
WTF? Why would they work for three months then just fry like that? And why would it fry just the one side and not the other? I thought that I may have just plugged the black wire and colored wire into the wrong tab on the light but surely that would cause a problem pretty quickly after putting power to it.

Anyone have any idea what could have gone wrong and possibly have a solution to my situation.

Here are a couple of pictures so you can see what i'm talking about.

Wire Cable Technology Electronic device Electrical wiring

Wire Technology Electronic device Cable

See less See more
#4 ·
i agree with the overheating. If it was a short then the bulbs and/or fuses would have blown too. It could have been because of a loose connection but seeing both went at the same time I suspect 55watts was just too much current. Add a relay to them and problem solved. If you need help with the relay just ask!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.