DODGE RAM FORUM banner

3rd brake light leak fix

171K views 153 replies 91 participants last post by  bring10ants 
#1 ·
Just thought I'd post this up for what I did to solve my problem of the 3rd brake light leaking. I was getting water in both rear top corners of the cab where the headliner meets the plasic and rear window glass. What happens is the water leaks through the seal of the light, then makes it's way into the cab sheet metal, and runs to both corners due to the way the metal slopes. If you have water dripping from the top corners of the rear of the cab it is probably the 3rd brake light seal leaking. First thing I did was check to make sure the window seal also was not leaking, by pouring water in the open channel (once you remove the two screws holding on the light and pull the light off). There are weeps that let the water drain at the bottom of each corner of the window, my passenger side weep is wide open, the driver side weep is a little tighter (due to the window being installed slightly crooked), but it lets the water out fine. So anyway I then cleaned the sand/muck off where the light seals, and cleaned the old gasket off the light (very easy with flathead screwdriver, then again with adhesive remover). I then applied new thicker gasket (not a foam type like the original), I bought it at home depot, it is slightly wider, and about twice as think, but still very compressible. This is more rubber like (EPDM) than foam like, so should seal better. It doesn't turn sharp corners well, so I cut about half way through for the top two bends, and cut a separate strip for the bottom, this way the bottom corners are open and will let any water that may get in drain out. Pics....

Attachments

See less See more
#63 ·
Rear Window Leak

Thanks for the info, just getting ready to rip everything apart to find the source of the water. Drained into both compartments under the back seats causing about $500 worth of damage to my HAM radio gear. Am going out right now to remove third brake light right now!!

#64 ·
I starting noticing a nasty odor in my truck about a month or so ago.(2006 Ram 3500 Quad Cab) Took it in for some extended warranty work a week ago since my warranty expires in April. My good friend is my mechanic and works at the dealership so I feel comfortable with it being there. Either way, When it was in last week my friend (the mechanic) said he wanted me to bring it back in to check for a water leak because he thought that the odor was being caused by some kind of leak. Looked around the back glass while it was raining last week and noticed water in the bottom track of the power slider. didn't look any further since I thought I found the source. I removed the carpet and back wall padding that was damp and moldy. So I rescheduled and took it back today (of course my buddy was off today) and the "water leak" guru looked at it and said it was leaking from the rear window. Told me they could reseal it and it would cost $230 and it was not covered under the extended warrant, neither was the carpet. Told them to go ahead and do the repair. They called me back a couple hours later and told me that the "water leak" guru tried to repair it but couldn't and that the only fix would be to replace the back window to the tune of $725. Service guy said that the problem is there is no drains for the window and that there is an updated rear slider that has drains to alleviate the problem........I told them I would pick the truck up and to not do anymore to it. First, if that was the case then why wouldn't Chrysler replace the window under a warranty situation if they know there is a problem?

Sorry for the long winded explanation but I guess I will be looking at my 3rd brake light when I get the truck home and praying that it is the cause of my leak so it can be fixed. I'm hoping and praying that it is.

#65 ·
Thank you! I have installed a recon 3rd brake light and sealed the gap with clear rtv and looked good and worked for a year. I'm guessing the temperature changes overtime and heavy rains of late caused it to fail. I was thinking of a "D" gasket, but the ridges in your choice would seem to give more contact.

#67 ·
Just discovered the leak on our 2006 Dodge Diesel Laramie. Now I know where that smell was coming from. Just did a temp fix today, but after seeing this, will attempt it at earliest convenience. Thanks for step by step and pics. Will post back after the job is done. This is a better fix than the dealer suggested; just buy a new light. They only wanted $130.00 and all I wanted was a new gasket. Figures!

#68 ·
I'll update this. Picked up 2003 couple weeks ago. Had my daughter riding in the back in a rain shower. She saw the water dripping. Searched and found this thread. Once I pulled the 3rd brake light, just a cheap foam gasket. Squeezed it and water dripped out. Found the same product as OP at Lowes. Pretty sure that is where the leak was coming from.

#69 ·
I just noticed my 2013 start leaking in the same areas mentioned in this thread. Top rear corners of the headliner and some water in the rear storage bin area. Applied some new, thicker weather stripping. Hopefully this fixes the problem. My 2011 also did the same thing. Did the same procedure with that 3rd brake light and it also fixed it.

#70 ·
Hello,

I'm brand new here. I have noticed that the windows on my 2009 frequently fog up on the inside. I have also noticed frost on the inside of the windshield when it got down in the teens to single digits last week. Mine sometimes has a slight smell to it as well.

I have not noticed any stains on the headliner or wet carpet or seats. I do not have a sliding rear window or a sunroof. I do have the satellite radio though. Does it sound like the 3rd brake light on mine as well?

Thanks.
Spike

#71 · (Edited)
There's always more than one way to skin a cat. Simonmw75 's method sounds like he used a product known as Dow Corning DC-4, which is a silicone-based o-ring and gasket grease, also used to lubricate incandescent lamps/bulbs to prevent corrosion in wet environments. It's used extensively in aviation maintenance as well as steamfitting, boilers, pressure-vessels, etc.. However, it's real intent is to facilitate the assembly of items using O-rings and gaskets to prevent their dis-lodgment during assembly operations, ...it has no ability of itself to withstand pressure. Simonmw75 seems to have addressed another (underlying) issue of poor fitment/attachment and that may work for him, but if the original gasket is what it sounds, .... there's likely another failure awaiting down the road.
It sounds as if the open-cell foam used in the OEM gasket is the true fault and I'm surprised this isn't a recall item due to it's obviously wide-spread experience due to defective materials.
As for those who've been told by dealers that they are "out of warranty"...keep in mind that many states have legislation that support the consumer when the fault is due to defective original materials for much longer than original warranties. In fact, if it's due to defective materials virtually all courts will support the claim regardless of any written warranty or expiration, due to the "implied warranty" of the intended purpose, the problem will be to convince the dealership/mfr'r that you are serious about pursuing the matter and that may take a lawyer's letterhead letter.
THANK you for the original post! Although I haven't noticed any leak, I plan to inspect my 3rd brake light gasket right away and replace the gasket regardless with a better one. I already have a roll of that MD weatherseal left over from another job and this'll be a good use for it. THANKS AGAIN, OP!

#79 ·
Is this still something to worry about on a '14? I figured I'd get it out of the way before winter is over and the rain comes, if it's still an issue.

Thanks
I am thinking so. I found water dripping from passenger rear corner of the headliner a couple of days ago. I found this thread tonight. Headed to Lowes tomorrow.

#74 ·
I did mine this afternoon, quick and easy. My gasket peeled right off cleanly in one piece. Didn't see any evidence of leaking, but the gasket letting go so easy tells me the inferior factory gasket was drying out, so it was just a matter of time. I found the exact same product as used by the OP at Lowe's, less than $8.00 in a 10 foot roll. As stated earlier, look in the door and window weatherstrip section. THANKS snrusnak!

#76 ·
Quote:
THIS REALLY WORKS!
I have a 2006 Dodge Ram SLT Quad Cab.
I did the same thing snrusnak did, per his instructions in this thread.
Home Depot sells a Frost King door seal that is 5/16"x9/16" and is made of rubber, not the spongey material that is supplied by Dodge.
My factory gasket was in fairly good shape by appearance, but was failing due to the material being porous.
My 3rd light, now fits snugger and won't leak after 5 years from the assembly line.
I highly recommend repairing your 3rd light this way if you're having the same problem....
Glad it helped you :) It's been a while now and still not a drop in my cab :)

Quote:
Great post, gonna get some for my fix ASAP! Wife complains of the musty smell after the rain pours in!
Good luck (this is probably the best mod I've done lol as it keeps my truck from stinking!)

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.

Great forum and information. Followed the directions and problem solved; Many thanks! :)

#78 ·
So I started a thread looking for help with a water leak. The people responded talking about the third brake light. I took some time and read through several of the threads about this. It got me thinking.

If you live in an area with wildlife, you might just equip your truck like I do. I like to keep a 22lr rifle and a knife set under my back seat just in case I hit a deer and need to help it die quickly, with as little pain as possible. I keep my nice little Ruger 10/22 Takedown broken in half right in one of the under seat storage areas. It's a good fit even with gloves a short length of rope and some knifes for field dressing.

Well the threads about third brake light issues mentioned people having water in these areas. So I went and took a look. Sure enough I had about 4 inches of standing water in both of them. I took my gear right inside and I was horrified at the rust all over. You people not only helped me identify a problem with my truck, but you ensured a merciful death to an unfortunate creature and the ability to harvest said animal so I can put food on the table for my family. Not to mention saving one of my favorite plinking toys and a quality knife and hook set. No need to worry. I'm taking care of the rust. I'll think of this forum when I hit my next deer.

Wow. Now my wife can't call me an idiot for looking at truck forums. Now if only I could get her to be okay with the naked lady calendar in my shop area. Seriously though, thanks.

#81 ·
Just thought I'd post this up for what I did to solve my problem of the 3rd brake light leaking. I was getting water in both rear top corners of the cab where the headliner meets the plasic and rear window glass.
Thanks for the post. I took your advice yesterday and replaced the gasket with the material you recommended. Expecting life to be good (and dry)now ....

#82 ·
I have the same issue with less than a year old truck. Been smelling musky, and the last rain storm I finally saw the leak. I then took it to the dealership, guess they are having these issues big time, and parts are back order. I actually had standing water in the floor board, and the rear seat was totally soaked. I even found Mold all over a blanket i had in the storage bin under the rear seat. Dodge, says they will fix the seal, and try to clean the carpet and seat. But what about the damn MOLD!!!! Doesn't anyone stand behind their shit anymore? I have had and still am having so many issues with the electronics, and they don't seem to understand why I am upset with taking it to the dealership all the time. Time=Money Let me know if anyone else is having the same issues please. united we can stand!

#83 ·
I hear ya there Dave. Luckily I found my leak quick before it got mold. Make sure your dealer does it right. If they just use the same gasket it will still leak. Allot of people on here including myself just fixed it ourselves. But since you have mold issues your best bet is to report it to them. Keep in mind breathing in mold will make you and your passengers sick. Long periods of breathing it in can cause bad lung problems later in your life. It's no joke. Press them to fully clean everything or even replace carpets and seats. I know it sounds drastic but it's your health. Not to mention your poor Ram can be rotting from the inside.

#85 ·
after noticing the water leak in my truck called the dealer brought it in for repair, wow sadly mistaken for being fixed here are the photos as proof. emailed ram and will be trying to get a new headliner out of the deal.

you can see the poor attempt at fixing by the use of sliicone

once again condensation in the light

you cant really notice it but there was a pool of water behind the light

here's the proof, a poor poor attempt using a trash foam for repair and a crappy attempt at that, my 3 year could have done a better job at this

yes soaking wet.

get it done right for good hopefully.

big thanks to the OP this helped out greatly looks like its suppose to be from the factory.

#90 ·
Got this issue too...deliberating the self repair vs dealer. I will likely have the dealer do it once (when 1st service comes due), and if not fixed, then do it myself. I just think its smart to have the service record in case something consequential happens.
I'm in Vancouver though...and our drought is ending so suspect I might need to get on this before my first oil change is due (only about 3000 km on her). Arrg, so annoying; this is really the only problem with the truck - everything else seems great.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.